Diagnosis of Rich condition

• My sling is running rich, it is supercharged with 1320 header and Welter dual exhaust. At idle it sounds like there might be a slight pop in the exhaust. I pulled the O2 sensor and plugs. Video is ok not great, might need better speakers to hear the pop I'm thinking I'm hearing. I'm planning on replacing the plugs but not sure the gap needed. Any help or suggestions are welcome.

• I'm not a supercharged expert but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before. MOST of the boosted tunes do run a bit rich (if you have a wideband O2 sensor and gauge, you can see the actual numbers.). It's always better to have it a bit rich for safety reasons than an equal amount lean and cause issues. The exhaust popping sounds are something common with these systems as well. As Mitch suggested, checking for an exhaust leak is wise, but even a properly installed and sealed system can and will have some popping sounds under the right conditions. It may not be what you wanted to hear, but there are several of us that have the same or similar issues with no other causes to blame it on.

I'm sure Mr. Dave will chime in when he can with his thoughts

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Those spark plugs look clean compared to the ones I have changed on the turbo set up. I know mine is running rich...when I go in reverse, I can see black smoke from the exhaust. As far as the popping. I know on my set up, it's been getting worse and worse. I know I have a rattle in the muffler and need to replace it.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• I have never had anything supercharged before so normal operating conditions are an unknown to me. I'm really beginning to believe this is normal. I believe my best course of action will be to put it back together, get the update on Bob's tune and leave it at that. I was really surprised to see how clean the plugs were and even the O2 sensor.

Just a small town farmboy, handy with my hands and originally trained as a automotive technician. Lives in Swayzee Indiana.

• I'm not a supercharged expert but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express before. MOST of the boosted tunes do run a bit rich (if you have a wideband O2 sensor and gauge, you can see the actual numbers.). It's always better to have it a bit rich for safety reasons than an equal amount lean and cause issues. The exhaust popping sounds are something common with these systems as well. As Mitch suggested, checking for an exhaust leak is wise, but even a properly installed and sealed system can and will have some popping sounds under the right conditions. It may not be what you wanted to hear, but there are several of us that have the same or similar issues with no other causes to blame it on.

I'm sure Mr. Dave will chime in when he can with his thoughts

It seems that tuning(NA,TC,SC) is what introduces popping, one of my slings was stock for close to 3 years and never popped but every since I tuned in early summer it pops often .

Now with the tune this machine feels like it belongs in the Wild West , have to be mindful if i drive by "certain areas" so I don't trigger a shootout war. :00008172:

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I actually have been Talking to Dave at DDM. He listened to the video and looked at the pictures of the plugs and O2 sensor and said that it was normal for all of it. I have basically come to the same conclusion after looking at the plugs and O2 sensor. It may be running rich but it is necessary on a supercharged engine.

Just a small town farmboy, handy with my hands and originally trained as a automotive technician. Lives in Swayzee Indiana.

• I've tried for YEARS to diagnose the RICH condition, but alas, after buying the Slingshot, I'm forever forward part of the FORMERLY RICH crowd that now lives paycheck to paycheck :)

You are rich in your own special way my friend.... hope all is well

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Thanks Mitch. Not sure how well is well anymore. Waiting to hear when the next surgery is going to be scheduled. If I knew I would be living this long, I would have taken better care of myself when i was younger

Funny how that happens just like canned food - it is good way past the printed expiration date.

We are happy to have you around

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Fun In the Sun, maybe i should start staying at Holiday Inn if it makes you that smart. I need to meet some of you people, i wish life would slow down sometimes but it would probably mean I was dead.