~ {{ Pix & Video of 2020 Slingshot (2021?) Next Generation Slingshot.

• Texas got to experience the power of a "concerned" politician when Polaris was ready to start shipping Slingshots to Texas in 2014. I went to the Texas House and Senate hearings about how the Slingshot should be licensed and heard the story that the head of the Texas Senate Transportation Committee had a constituent (friend or supporter, presumably) complain about the Slingshot being labeled a motorcycle and then insisted the Slingshot not be sold until legislation reclassified the Slingshot as an Autocycle even though the House Transportation Committee and the DMV reportedly wanted to allow sales to start in 2014 as originally approved and change the classification during the 2015 legislative session. Instead of getting my Slingshot in late 2014 (deposit placed with dealer in August 2014), sales weren't allowed until the end of May 2015, IIRC, and I finally got my Slingshot in june 2015. In the meantime, Oklahoma dealers ( and, I assume dealers in other states surrounding Texas) sold Slingshots to Texas residents and renewed their temporary tags until Texas go its act together.

• I would imagine that if a State only wanted to allow 2 wheel motorcycles it would be totally legal for them to do so - - not that it matters because that bridge has already been crossed in all 50 states and I highly suspect it would be legal for them to retroactively revoke legal status for vehicles that are already registered and licensed and on the road in the state

As I said earlier I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if future state and or federal regulations killed future production of what we now know as the slingshot, but I am not in the least bit worried that the will ever take my slingshot away or make it illegal - - too late for that

anyway I am going to step back from this now - as Forrest Gump might say

"and thats all I'm going to say about that"

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• For a while Texas was reportedly denying registration/renewals for dune buggies and kit cars, but Texas law was reportedly changed in 2019 to allow procedures for registering kit cars, dune buggies and former military vehicles, although some people still feel sand-rail dune buggies are not receiving equal treatment.

• I know nothing about the things that the kit cars go through, unless they have a donor car and using it's VIN, but for things like dune buggies, it's a VW chassis, with a VIN, assuming it has one. If you register it online, how do they know it's a sand rail?

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to educate myself.

The only time my vehicle is seen, is by the state inspection station, as long as it passes that, registration is just a process.

• I know nothing about the things that the kit cars go through, unless they have a donor car and using it's VIN, but for things like dune buggies, it's a VW chassis, with a VIN, assuming it has one. If you register it online, how do they know it's a sand rail?

Not trying to be difficult, just trying to educate myself.

The only time my vehicle is seen, is by the state inspection station, as long as it passes that, registration is just a process.

to take it a step further - here in California there are not any inspections of motorcycles of any kind - like you I register it online every year and a new sticker shown up in the mail. I could modify it and turn it into 4 wheel drive and no one in the DMV would ever know.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• If I understand the Texas situation, they were refusing to renew registrations on previously permitted vehicles. I could have been wrong, but that's what I thought was going on. Strange because Texas has long had manufacturers of kit cars and trikes. That was one of the things that pissed me off when Texas was not allowing Slingshot sales, but was allowing sales of T-Rex trikes. Between the problems the Slingshot had here in Texas and what happened to kit cars & dune buggies, makes me wonder if some folks might have too much authority and time on their hands to abuse that authority.

• Please inform when you do a look around!

I actually did trade my 19 SLR on a 2020 R. Not to crazy about not having a shifter but I will get used to it. It does have a bit more power than my SLR did and rides a whole lot different, smoother. Here is a funny note, when I asked about an oil filter for it, the dealer could not find one and did not have one. They could not even look up a part number for the filter.... I thought that was kind of funny because if I go 500 miles and took it to them how would they do an oil change?? Anyway.. still getting used to it... First thing I did when I got in the new one was reach for the shifter... haha....

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• I actually did trade my 19 SLR on a 2020 R. Not to crazy about not having a shifter but I will get used to it. It does have a bit more power than my SLR did and rides a whole lot different, smoother. Here is a funny note, when I asked about an oil filter for it, the dealer could not find one and did not have one. They could not even look up a part number for the filter.... I thought that was kind of funny because if I go 500 miles and took it to them how would they do an oil change?? Anyway.. still getting used to it... First thing I did when I got in the new one was reach for the shifter... haha....

Might want to come up with a new signature line now that you don't have a shifter :00008356:

• To be honest... they said the auto will learn my driving patterns... we will see... right now it is like driving with your teenager when they are first learning to drive a stick.

• I actually did trade my 19 SLR on a 2020 R. Not to crazy about not having a shifter but I will get used to it. It does have a bit more power than my SLR did and rides a whole lot different, smoother. Here is a funny note, when I asked about an oil filter for it, the dealer could not find one and did not have one. They could not even look up a part number for the filter.... I thought that was kind of funny because if I go 500 miles and took it to them how would they do an oil change?? Anyway.. still getting used to it... First thing I did when I got in the new one was reach for the shifter... haha....

Everyone talks about how much smoother the ride is in the 2020, versus earlier models. So, my question is, why is it? Is it simply better shocks on the 2020 or is there something else? Just curious what the experts think...

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"

• Everyone talks about how much smoother the ride is in the 2020, versus earlier models. So, my question is, why is it? Is it simply better shocks on the 2020 or is there something else? Just curious what the experts think...

I am not sure, it is just not as jarring as my 19 was... I am sure someone with more technical knowledge can better explain... The guy at the dealership (not the sales person) said it had to do with the chassis redesign.... ??