~ {{ Pix & Video of 2020 Slingshot (2021?) Next Generation Slingshot.

• In opening sales to people who cant be bothered to learn to drive a manual they may be risking putting Slingshots in the hands of more inexperienced drivers who will then have more accidents and drive up insurance costs for others. more may be better for their sales, but it may not be better for you and me

just a thought

then you get politicians involved that want more safety regulations and maybe a reclassification.

• then you get politicians involved that want more safety regulations and maybe a reclassification.

exactly Bigdog

I believe that the Slingshot sort of fell between the cracks of the Federal and State regulatory system - - basically a street legal gokart with no safety systems that under normal requirements would never have been allowed except for the fact that Polaris managed to see the existing loopholes in the law and took advantage of them

Feeling this way about it I have always expected that sooner or later the government will find a way to shut these loopholes down - - there has been a congressional bill that has been stalled for some time now that would define what an "autocycle" is for federal licensing purposes - Autocycle Safety Act - - that if passed could possibly spell the end of any future slingshot being even close to what we all have come to love - go read that link and look at what would be required - they want "autocycles" to have to comply with the safety requirements for both automobiles and motorcycles - - air bags, crumple zones, glazing materials in the windshield - - In reading all of what they have in this bill I don't see how the slingshot could ever continue to exist if it were classified as an "autocycle" - - of course they could let it continue to be federally classified as a motorcycle, but if they were thinking of doing that then what is the point of even having this "autocycle" bill?

Yep - I think we managed to get in on the ground floor of something very special, something that if polaris manages to keep making will eventually either be killed or turned into something we dont even recognize by government regulations

I smile every time I look at my slingshot - part of that is from the pure joy I get from riding/driving it, but another part of that smile comes from the thought that I got something that is rare that others may never get the chance to experience 8o

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I would say they took the rules right up to the limit to get the slingshot to fall into the motorcycle category....if the autocycle rules are ever to include the slingshot I would hope we would be grandfathered in...but I remember someone saying that dune VW dune buggies were made illegal in some states because of regulations...And it seems dune buggies we’re sorta a fad....and a few years from now we could be seeing the same thing with the SS.

• Around here, governing agencies seem to be content with the SlingShot as a three-wheeled motorcycle, (autocycle), as it was conceived. Anyways, they have never given us any issue. But, there has been a character that has done his own 4-wheel conversion, which is totally contrary to current regulations, raising hate and discontent of why he cannot keep his motorcycle/autocycle status. If folks keep on with this type of "stretching" of the regulations, government will eventually be forced to step in and the majority of us "law-abiding" riders will most certainly then be be made to suffer for it.

Bill

• Around here, governing agencies seem to be content with the SlingShot as a three-wheeled motorcycle, (autocycle), as it was conceived. Anyways, they have never given us any issue. But, there has been a character that has done his own 4-wheel conversion, which is totally contrary to current regulations, raising hate and discontent of why he cannot keep his motorcycle/autocycle status. If folks keep on with this type of "stretching" of the regulations, government will eventually be forced to step in and the majority of us "law-abiding" riders will most certainly then be be made to suffer for it.

Bill

WTF are you going on about? Putting any mod on your vehicle does not change your VIN. Try to tell that to anyone who mods their 2 wheelers with additional wheels.

There have been 4 wheel conversions around for motorcycles for ages, and now that slingshots are here, there have been conversions for a few years now. I've not heard of anyone having issues.

If you have, post a link to some info and not just throwing out some dribble please.

• I would say they took the rules right up to the limit to get the slingshot to fall into the motorcycle category....if the autocycle rules are ever to include the slingshot I would hope we would be grandfathered in...but I remember someone saying that dune VW dune buggies were made illegal in some states because of regulations...And it seems dune buggies we’re sorta a fad....and a few years from now we could be seeing the same thing with the SS.

federally the slingshots we all own are classified as motorcycles - I am pretty sure that can never be retroactively changed - also the States that have decided to call Slingshots autocycles its a State thing only - it is still federally a motorcycle - heck even most states that call them autocycles call an autocycle a type of motorcycle

Generally from what I have seen in the past legal changes are forward looking only - eventually this kills any new production and over time age kills off most that were around before the new rules. As s side note I still see old school dune buggies like the Meyers Manx from time to time and some look very new - but being a kit car regulations are very different and the underlying VW that is being used is already a registered vehicle which probably makes it easier

I hang out on a facebook reverse trike builders forum and many of the ones I see are based on motorcycles and retain the VIN and registration as a motorcycle - some of them keep almost nothing from the original frame except the parts where the VIN was stamped and the engine

• WTF are you going on about? Putting any mod on your vehicle does not change your VIN. Try to tell that to anyone who mods their 2 wheelers with additional wheels.

There have been 4 wheel conversions around for motorcycles for ages, and now that slingshots are here, there have been conversions for a few years now. I've not heard of anyone having issues.

If you have, post a link to some info and not just throwing out some dribble please.

https://www.oregonlaws.org/glossary/definition/motorcycle

https://www.oregonlaws.org/glossary/definition/motorcycle

I do not see how a four-wheeled vehicle meets the terms of either of these descriptions?

Bill

Bill

I thought the same thing the first time I saw the 4 wheel conversion....3 wheels was pushing it...4 wheels is not a motorcycle.

• Pfft, if you are just going to look at that, your slingshot doesn't apply either.

Around here, governing agencies seem to be content with the SlingShot as a three-wheeled motorcycle, (autocycle), as it was conceived.

per the law that you quoted, this doesn't match up...

Anyways, they have never given us any issue. But, there has been a character that has done his own 4-wheel conversion, which is totally contrary to current regulations, raising hate and discontent of why he cannot keep his motorcycle/autocycle status.

Still waiting on details on this, has his quad been denied registration?

• from what I understand what it is federally registered as when the original VIN is established is all that counts - what you add or change after you buy it will not change that - - -now that does not mean everything you might do will be legal, but even if you make it illegal it would still be a motorcycle under the law

• from what I understand what it is federally registered as when the original VIN is established is all that counts - what you add or change after you buy it will not change that - - -now that does not mean everything you might do will be legal, but even if you make it illegal it would still be a motorcycle under the law

but in some states they are already considered an autocycle not necessarily a motorcycle .....all it’s going to take is a fatal crash and some family member is going to say....and some lawyer is going to say........and a politician will say........and an insurance company will say....next thing you know ol’ Jeds a millionaire...And we’re all screwed...

• but in some states they are already considered an autocycle not necessarily a motorcycle .....all it’s going to take is a fatal crash and some family member is going to say....and some lawyer is going to say........and a politician will say........and an insurance company will say....next thing you know ol’ Jeds a millionaire...And we’re all screwed...

Please tell me why "we would all be screwed"

A person modifies their vehicle - that person is in an accident - someone dies and the case is taken to court and for the sake of argument it is determined the modification (quad conversion) in this case made the vehicle unsafe and is responsible for the loss of life

So why would this fall back on the owners of other Slingshots that don't have this mod?

I could see where they could say the owner that made the mod is liable I can even see where they might say the company that fabricated and/or installed the mod is liable, but I can see no way whatsoever where they could go back after Polaris or other Slingshot owners - - how can they ever be impacted by how someone else mods their vehicle.

You have added all kinds of lights to your Slingshot that would be very illegal in California - - using your logic should I get a ticket for what you have done? If the guy down the street decides to chop up his Volvo s60 and make it into a reverse trike and then he crashes and kills someone does that mean thy can come after my wifes Volvo s60?

If some guy installs a quad kit and then gets in a wreck and kills someone I would suspect that in a worse case situation they might outlaw quad modifications at the State level - and if this happened we would not all be screwed - worst case is some people would have to remove the quad mod and some others might be prevented from doing it - - - - -the rest of us would probably not even notice

• remember the crash about the seat belt “failure” (to me that’s questionable) after he was T-boned...they started to talk about airbags, crumple zones and other things and the family wanted compensated.... you only need one politician that wants elected or re-elected to start changing things....it doesn’t take millions of people.....Nancy pelosi is doing it by herself...She personally held up billions of dollars to desperate millions of people. Just because she wanted to gain some political points.....while she ate gourmet ice cream...our designation could be changed in a heartbeat by some clown....You sign my bill I’ll sign yours....quid pro quo...all politicians do it. And they don’t even have to know Who or what’s involved...and we all know there are many brainless politicians.....

• unless the article is posted on a website that end on ".gov" the info is nothing more than speculation and or someone's opinion and no more binding than something found on wikipedia.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• You give politicians too much credit. The badge says slingshot that’s all they will remember. Also we don’t know how many states consider it an auto cycle. Is it even legal to add the quad setup in all the states?

I would bet that many people add all kinds of mods that are not legal - -did you actually check the code to see if all of your lights are legal?

I happened to actually check the code on aftermarket lights here in California - they literally have a section that says NO aftermarket light can be added within 12 inches of any legally required light

I would bet most Californians dont know that - I even saw slingshots at the show in Fallbrook last year having all kinds of LED's installed that violate this section of the law.

As to politicians - I dont give them credit at all - in fact I think you could throw the dead body of a victim of a slingshot accident on their front steps and unless the kid was the son of a big time contributor or a direct family member I suspect they wouldn't even notice. Under any normal conditions no politician is going to give anything more than lip service to an issue that doesnt personal benefit them unless the public outcry gets so intense that they have no choice - - as small as the number of Slingshots are in any given state I just dont see that as even being possible - we would all have to start running people down to get that kind of attention

• One thing I learned about Arizona law is you can have as many lights on your vehicle as you want, hundreds of them if you choose, even red and blue, which you see a lot of and are illegal as hell on non-emergency vehicles, but the trick is, the vehicle has to either be parked or off road. The moment you drive it on a public road, the only lights allowed to be on are the ones it came with. Makes sense, I guess. There's only so many lumens allowed by law, in most states. That's why factory installed fog lights turn off when the high beam headlights are turned on... 🤔

"If I were a Jedi, there's a 100% chance I would use the force inappropriately!"