Slingshot Classifications

• They law is gray here when it comes to a helmet in Tennessee. Supposed to wear one but like I said the line is blurred because I have a fixed roof. Technically its not structural so I could get a ticket. I've went through road checks and pulled over to let police look at Sling and even take pictures. Never had one problem. But just because you get away with something once doesn't mean you always will. We keep two half helmets in Sling.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• [quote='123hotdog','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8121-slingshot-classifications/&postID=277696#post277696']

They law is gray here when it comes to a helmet in Tennessee. Supposed to wear one but like I said the line is blurred because I have a fixed roof. Technically its not structural so I could get a ticket. I've went through road checks and pulled over to let police look at Sling and even take pictures. Never had one problem. But just because you get away with something once doesn't mean you always will. We keep two half helmets in Sling.

[/quote]

The cops are claiming that you gotta have a roof and doors. The law says “enclosed”. BUT!!! The law in paragraph 308 ALSO says that auto cycles are exempted from the whole of this part of the law. 😏.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• Many in CA argue the interpretation of the helmet law and win. Also in CA if a vehicle is affixed with seatbelts, you must wear them. I have never seen CA law that allows the SS rider to warrant buckling up optional. Maybe that has changed since I left?

TX has already been covered by others.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• Many in CA argue the interpretation of the helmet law and win. Also in CA if a vehicle is affixed with seatbelts, you must wear them. I have never seen CA law that allows the SS rider to warrant buckling up optional. Maybe that has changed since I left?

TX has already been covered by others.

here is the California motor vehicle code regarding use of seat belts VEH Code Section 27315 - please read the third section (c)(1)

here is the cut and paste of that section

"(c) (1) As used in this section, “motor vehicle” means a passenger vehicle, a motortruck, or a truck tractor, but does not include a motorcycle"

you are correct that if a "motor vehicle" has belts you are supposed to use them, but the law specifically say that for purposes of the mandatory seat belt law a motorcycle shall not be counted as a motor vehicle

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Here in California :-)

polaris_slingshot_motorcycle.jpg

I am hoping that you just did this for the photo opp if you were really taking 2 spaces it would piss me off if I wanted to park my bike and there were no other spaces - -no different than a car taking two spaces - its just rude

• Indiana law:

Autocycles

Indiana law allows for the operation and registration of autocycles. Autocycles are defined as a three-wheeled motor vehicle in which the operator and passenger ride in a completely or partially enclosed seating area equipped with:

• rollcage or roll hoops;
    • safety belts for each occupant;
    • antilock brakes;
    • designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals.

Title and Registration

Autocycles are titled and registered as a motorcycle, and are issued a motorcycle license plate.

Driver’s License Requirements

A valid Indiana driver’s license is required to operate an autocycle. A motorcycle learner’s permit or motorcycle endorsement is not required to operate an autocycle.

An autocycle may not be used for the purpose of a driving skills exam for an operator’s license or motorcycle endorsement.

Operation Information

• An autocycle must be equipped with safety belts that must be worn by the operator and all passengers.
    • A passenger may not ride in any other position except in the seat designed for the passenger.
    • Motorcyclists and motor driven cyclists are permitted to proceed, with caution, through an intersection with a red signal after 120 seconds, however, an autocyclist is not permitted to proceed through the intersection.
    • Autocycles may not be operated side-by-side in a single traffic lane.
    • Autocycles may not be parked along a roadway curb with the rear wheel to the curb and the front tire facing the flow of traffic.√

Just a small town farmboy, handy with my hands and originally trained as a automotive technician. Lives in Swayzee Indiana.

• Maine signef into law that you do not have to have a motorcycle license to drive a slingshot. Just another example to illustrate this is not a motorcycle.

not sure thats a good example - California has never required a license for any three wheel motorcycle - Californias motorcycle licenses, the M1 & M2 have always been specifically for 2 wheel motorcycles

using you logic this would mean that a Harley trike isnt a motorcycle because you dont need a motorcycle license in California

• not sure thats a good example - California has never required a license for any three wheel motorcycle - Californias motorcycle licenses, the M1 & M2 have always been specifically for 2 wheel motorcycles

using you logic this would mean that a Harley trike isnt a motorcycle because you dont need a motorcycle license in California

Ga changed the endorsement aspect if the license more to do with logistics than anything else. As one of the first in the state of GA to get a license for the SlingShot it was rather cumbersome and funny. I did not already have the motorcycle endorsement so this required I take the written exam first. Then when it came time to do the physical test they could not perform it as described in the office procedure manual. The test course was physically unable to allow the SS to even fit on. About 2 hours of back and forth communication with the head office finally had a resolution. I was to drive about 1/2 loop out on the main road with the examiner following behind taking notes of all my stops and right hand turns.... :|

It was determined this was a big part of why it was switched to no endorsement required. Path of least residents.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• On a parallel topic, Polaris was allowed to offer us the SlingShot because they were able to take advantage of the current regulations and classify it as a motorcycle, thus bypassing many of the regulations required of an automobile. This unique "motorcycle" then attracted buyers attention and folks were purchasing them because of this "uniqueness", but then within a very short time, even though they owed the opportunity for owning this vehicle due to it's being classified as a motorcycle, began whining and complaining because they had to comply with a basic requirement of motorcycle ownership, you must wear a helmet. Then shortly after that, folks continued to whine even more when they started comparing it to a car. Personally, it is really sad that folks are unwilling to accept and enjoy this unique vehicle as it was originally conceived, a motorcycle alternative, and wanting to change it into a car in which there are several examples to be had already on the market.

Bill

• frankly I like my little 1/2 helmet. protects my head from the pounding sun and potential skin cancer and it will actually stay on in 50 - 60 mph cross wind gusts and on the highway 90 mph - I have tried hats and they just dont stay on

in addition it provides protection against any bugs or debris that might smack me in the head

I dont know if I would ever had bought the helmet if it were not legally required - probably not, but now that I have both the 1/2 and a full helmet I can guarantee I would keep using both if they ended the helmet law tomorrow

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• Ga changed the endorsement aspect if the license more to do with logistics than anything else. As one of the first in the state of GA to get a license for the SlingShot it was rather cumbersome and funny. I did not already have the motorcycle endorsement so this required I take the written exam first. Then when it came time to do the physical test they could not perform it as described in the office procedure manual. The test course was physically unable to allow the SS to even fit on. About 2 hours of back and forth communication with the head office finally had a resolution. I was to drive about 1/2 loop out on the main road with the examiner following behind taking notes of all my stops and right hand turns.... :|

It was determined this was a big part of why it was switched to no endorsement required. Path of least residents.

I had the same issue in AR. I was the first in NW AR to get one and had to take the the written and driving motercycle test. SS wouldn't fit the slalom. Officer came out to give me the test, looked at the Sling (he had never seen one) and said "You pass." I took him for a ride on the road anyway.

• I was the first here in SW Oregon to get my three-wheeled motorcycle endorsement in the SlingShot, (Justina was the second), and we had to do the then existing DMV set up three-wheeler course, We both did it and passed! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Today you no longer are required to have a motorcycle endorsement to operate the SlingShot.

"Three-Wheelers, Sidecars and Trikes

"Autocycles" (three-wheeled vehicles with a steering wheel and bucket seat) as defined in ORS 801.133 do not require a motorcycle endorsement. All other types of three-wheelers require a motorcycle endorsement. However, you may apply for a restricted (3W-only) endorsement at DMV. Applicants must pass the DMV motorcycle knowledge test to qualify, but are not required to complete a rider training course or pass a DMV skill test/road test."

Bill

• I was behind a smaller fancy convertible and I noticed the drivers head was at least 4” higher than the roll hoops. Not a very good situation..... my head is at least 4” lower than mine with a helmet on.

Polaris thought of everything.... :thumbsup:

• I had a very great experience riding such a great car. The thing that got me was how intuitive, and natural the control felt. I wasn't even sure I had the correct steering wheel on the vehicle. Still, within a few turns, I noticed how much more confident I was driving than usual. It's not like I had extra practice driving physics-defying vehicles or anything. Still, the fact that I was so comfortable in my new ride had me pretty nervous about the rest of the day. I decided to rent a slingshot from the best local company. I remained delighted.