Slingshot Classifications

• As I am reading and attempting to educate myself - I was surprised to see how states consider the SS a car and not a motorcycle like in Wisconsin...

I also assume then, in the states that classify the SS as a car, you would be required to have a seat belt on, and the helmet not so important?

Can anyone else speak to this from other states perspectives?

.::. Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it .::.

• It's all up the interpretation of the officer in most cases. TN is a good example, it's an autocar there, but there are a few state police harassing sling owners.

Here in Texas, it's an autocycle, but we have to follow motorcycle rules, we aren't required to wear a helmet if we are over 18 and have medical insurance $10k or above in coverage.

I have not been bothered at all when I wasn't wearing a helmet.

For longer trips, I usually do, for audio and keep the wind noise away.

• Initially NJ classified as a motorcycle but since have changed to autocycle. As with wokkas' statement, interpretation of the laws seems to depend on the officer. I ride with a helmet and seatbelt but I have a friend in Jersey that does not and has never been cited. Across the border in PA there is no helmet law for motorcycles.

Not sure but I believe the advantage of the terminology as an autocycle is that no motorcycle license is required? I have a motorcycle license so I never looked into it.

• In California the slingshot is motorcycle, but California is also a bit different in our drivers licenses. California's Class M1 motorcycle license is specifically for 2 wheeled motorcycles and the class m2 is for 2 wheeled motor scooters and motorized bikes. In California there is no special license required for any three wheeled motorcycle / trike so all anyone needs is the standard divers license

on the other side because the slingshot is still a motorcycle we do have to wear a helmet also motorcycles by law are exempted from mandatory seatbelt laws

so to sum it up California is as follows:

Its a Motorcycle

No special motorcycle license required

Must wear a helmet

dont have to use the seatbelt

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Just for clarification no state classifies the Slingshot as a car/automobile

It is either a motorcycle, autocycle, or autocar ..none of which must comply with DOT standards for a car/automobile.

If that ever happens the Slingshot will go the way of the Dodo bird .....

...... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• just to add to this even in States where the Slingshot is classified as an autocycle in most if not all of those states an autocycle is a type of motorcycle

I think it all goes back to the federal classification that was assigned when the Slingshot was first brought to market

also the Fed has had a bill pending for a very long time now that would make an autocycle classification and establish safety standards for autocycles, but even in the language of this bill they say an autocycle is a type of motorcycle

for those interested here is the text of that bill - H.R.2381 Autocycle Safety Act

and a quote:

“(1) ‘autocycle’ means a motorcycle with 3 wheels in contact with the ground, front-wheel drive, a fully enclosed occupant compartment, and a steering wheel, which is subject to applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards, as determined necessary by the Secretary of Transportation through regulation.”.

clearly even if they pass this bill at some time in the future it still could not be applied to the Slingshot which does not meet the requirement of being front-wheel drive

• IF a Federal Autocycle Law were to be enacted AND IF the Slingshot were to be included under it's classification, I'd guess Polaris would most likely drop production due to the impacts of compliance on production costs and reduced sellabilty due to loss of a lot of the factors that make the Slingshot so much fun to drive. This might also increase the value of existing Slingshots!

• IF a Federal Autocycle Law were to be enacted AND IF the Slingshot were to be included under it's classification, I'd guess Polaris would most likely drop production due to the impacts of compliance on production costs and reduced sellabilty due to loss of a lot of the factors that make the Slingshot so much fun to drive. This might also increase the value of existing Slingshots!

I had a Victory.....Didn't happen with that Polaris .....Don't think it will happen with this Polaris...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• My guess would be that if that federal autocycle law were passed it simply would not apply to the Slingshot and as such future slingshots would continue to be federally classified as motorcycles as they are now

• I had a Victory.....Didn't happen with that Polaris .....Don't think it will happen with this Polaris...

True, but the Victory was a conventional motorcycle while the Slingshot is a niche vehicle with a narrower target pool of potential buyers. I prefer to think positive, but only time will tell if anything ever comes to pass.