Wheel Gurus... a little help

• Looking at getting new wheels for the quad and wanted to check with everyone first...I know the offset for the front is +42 and the rear is +45. The Wheels I have now are +42 all the way around. I found another set I really like... but they are +32 for the offset. I believe this means that they will stick out a little more? Or does this mean it's going to tuck under the fender further? And will +32 clear the brakes?

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• My understanding is that +32 will be further out and there isn't a way to bring them closer without modifying the wheel. If it was say +50, you could use a spacer to bring them in closer.

I have +48's on mine, all the way around, I need to put a 6mm spacer on the front to bring them out a bit.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.

• That website will not take into account things like fenders, calipers, control arm, etc. My front tires rub slightly on the control arms when I cut the wheels all the way. It's not good on most power steering to max out a turn, so I try not to anyway, and it's not a big deal.

So, food for though on fitment.

• Br4hm4 you need to pay attention to your calipers and the clearance you need for the wheel. If you get them too close or wrong style they will not fit around your calipers. With the Quad you can go with a different offset in the back for sure. Ask Troy what the clearance is for the corvette calipers.

I am running +45 on a rear aftermarket Forgestar CF5-V 20x11. It is a Deep well so it has plenty of clearance.

There are a lot of vendors on here that do wheels. If you want to do some shopping take a look at http://WWW.GETYOURWHEELS.COM. That is where I found mine.

Proud Member of SOG!!!!!!!

2015 SL (Yellow) Traded becuase it kept melting

2018 SLR LE with DDM SuperCharger!!! I guess the gray ones are faster...

• I've had a rear wheel/tire combo for 11000 miles with a Nitto 555 G2 315/35ZR17 on an American Muscle 10th Anniversary Cobra Style 17x10.5" wheel with 28 mm offset and according to http://www.willtheyfit.com the tire should be sitting just about even with the OEM wheel position on the inside of the wheel and just under 30 mm farther out on the outside of the wheel, which results in the wheel centering about 1" or so to the left of center. I've also run a Circuit Performance CP32 18x10.5 wheel (35 mm offset) that http://www.willtheyfit.com shows to place the inside edge of the wheel just under 3 mm closer to the suspension components with the outside of the wheel just over 3/4" farther out than OEM. Using a 45 mm offset 10.5" wide wheel would center the wheel the same as OEM, but will also place the inside of the wheel 1/2" closer to the suspension components, risking interference depending on your vehicle/setup.

Using a smaller wheel offset will generally cause the wheel to sit farther out from the original position and decrease the chances of suspension problems, but will also mean the wheel places a little more stress on the suspension components compared to the stock offset. http://www.wiltheyfit.com does a good job of providing a visualization of different wheel/tire configurations including offset, but the speedo calculation is not as accurate as Discount Tire's Tire Size Calculator - https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator.

Afterthought comment - I've now ridden around 14,500 miles on the two referenced wheels with smaller offsets and have not experienced any handling problems.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Looking at getting new wheels for the quad and wanted to check with everyone first...I know the offset for the front is +42 and the rear is +45. The Wheels I have now are +42 all the way around. I found another set I really like... but they are +32 for the offset. I believe this means that they will stick out a little more? Or does this mean it's going to tuck under the fender further? And will +32 clear the brakes?

The +42 I have are good. I just want a different look. The ones I really like are +32.

Using www.willthey fit.com, I ran two calculations.

The first assumed the same stock Base model wheels and tires with the only difference being 32 mm offset on the new tires. This showed the 32 mm offset wheel/tire to sit 10 mm farther away from the suspension, so there'd be no interference as long as the internal diameter of the wheel is large enough to clear whatever brake rotors you have. I mention this because I initially tried an older look 5 spoke black mag wheel, but the inner portion of the rim was stepped so that it had a smaller central diameter than the outer area near the rim and I only had about 1/16" clearance between the rotor/caliper and the wheel, so I switched to the AM wheel I referenced above.

The second set of calculations assumed the same 32 mm offset on the new wheel, but also assumed a 2" wider rim. This placed the inside of the wheel just under 16 mm closer to the suspension and the extra wheel width meant the outside of the wheel was now just over 35 mm farther out. In this case, a spacer would provide more clearance between the inside of the wheel and the suspension, but would also move the wheel even farther to the outside. The wider track from the spacer would also complicate trailer towing clearance issues.

Keep in mind that a spacer will increase the effective offset if the wheel's offset is smaller than the stock offset, but will decrease effective offset for wheels with larger offsets than the stock offset, as long as the spacer is thinner than the difference in offset. If the spacer is larger than the difference, then it will effectively increase the offset even more.

This site offers a variety of tire size calculators, including offset changes or the impact of different tire sizes on effective gearing -

https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/ (scroll down the page for additional calculators).