Need to start a new thread on this topic because it's important for all slingers

• If i have to dress up like Bibendum to feel safe in a Slingshot no less, Then that means i'm riding scared....And riding scared isn't safe either.....So to be safe i might as well get a four door Subaru and chug along in the left lane at 54 mph eating Ben and Jerry's.....:P.....

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• If i have to dress up like Bibendum to feel safe in a Slingshot no less, Then that means i'm riding scared....And riding scared isn't safe either.....So to be safe i might as well get a four door Subaru and chug along in the left lane at 54 mph eating Ben and Jerry's.....:P.....

Its a motorcycle - and if you bought on the theory that you would be more protected because its a reverse trike I pray that that theory never gets tested

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I feel safe and I don't think I look like a dork...

Image result for Pics of body condom

I used to have a co-worker with whom I seemed to be the only person in the office who could get along with him at least most the time, although there were times when I wanted to kill him him, too! He could be a bit of a prick at times. We once showed up to help him move at 6 a.m. on a Saturday to find that he still hadn't rented a truck and had less than half his stuff packed (he lived in a 3-story house)!

At our office Christmas parties, it was common to have a secret Santa gift exchange for folks who opted to participate. Once, after he had refused to participate, his name was called and he walked up to receive his gift. Everyone broke up in laughter when he opened it and found a 6 ft whole body condom. We all thought it was the PERFECT gift for him, but nobody would admit to having bought it for him. My Boss turned around and gave me a very long-lasting smile. He refused to believe I hadn't done it and it was several months later when the real perpetrator admitted to the deed. Even after his admission, some folks still thought I had done it!

• A HANS is probably a good idea with a helmet, however not always necessary nor required. When at the track you need Helmet, gloves, boots, eye protection, jacket & pants (racing suit). When driving & playing its up to the individual what they are comfortable with. Defensive driving is the best policy. I was on a motorcycle since the 60's now I am in a Sling. Riding dirt bikes Full gear, street not so much. Choices.

• I need more info. One guy I know of ( Dale Earnhart) died from a spinal fracture at the base of the skull, brain stem area. Now out of the millions on millions of helmets in use have there been similar injuries, deaths. Just how many injuries in that area have there been? Average that number against the number in use and give me a number. For me the odds are way in my favor. I wear a half helmet in summer and a full helmet in winter, I also have a full four point harness. I still like my odds in any sub 100 mph collision, remember it was a full front on collision at over 100mph that took Dale. His death was exacerbated by his driving position. He had a very reclined driving position that had his neck in a position in which it just did not have a lot of flexation left.

LC

• I need more info. One guy I know of ( Dale Earnhart) died from a spinal fracture at the base of the skull, brain stem area. Now out of the millions on millions of helmets in use have there been similar injuries, deaths. Just how many injuries in that area have there been? Average that number against the number in use and give me a number. For me the odds are way in my favor. I wear a half helmet in summer and a full helmet in winter, I also have a full four point harness. I still like my odds in any sub 100 mph collision, remember it was a full front on collision at over 100mph that took Dale. His death was exacerbated by his driving position. He had a very reclined driving position that had his neck in a position in which it just did not have a lot of flexation left.

LC

The thing that always bothered me most about his death was he reportedly would have survived the crash had he been wearing the HANS device, but his "gut-instinct" told him it was dangerous to wear. Similar mindsets were very common when seat-belts were first introduced/mandated.

I would imagine that Polaris investigated the benefits & drawbacks of wearing both a helmet and a seat--belt before deciding to implement their seat-belt with helmet solution, if for no other reason than liability.

• The thing that always bothered me most about his death was he reportedly would have survived the crash had he been wearing the HANS device, but his "gut-instinct" told him it was dangerous to wear. Similar mindsets were very common when seat-belts were first introduced/mandated.

I would imagine that Polaris investigated the benefits & drawbacks of wearing both a helmet and a seat--belt before deciding to implement their seat-belt with helmet solution, if for no other reason than liability.

If you remember he also was one of the drivers that would not wear a full helmet.

• Probably because he thought it would keep him from exiting quickly in a fire.

As far as Polaris issuing safety advice ... if they told you, you should wear this and that and have this and add this ... too many rules and regulations and requirements would scare many people away.

So I’m sure they are advising the minimum to make everything is safe and legal to eliminate liability. And not hurt sales.

Remember it’s always about the bottom line.

• The original question was should you have a HAN with a helmet + seat belt. Yes to be perfectly safe. However I do not wear a helmet in the Sling. I do not feel it necessary. At the track I use my simpson carbon bandit @ 2.5lbs the lightest full helmet I could find. Helmets, seat belts & air bags should be a choice, all can save you or kill you. The choice should be up to you, if you talk to ten people you can get ten different opinions, decide for yourself. Maybe all bikes should be blaze orange?

• I bought my slingshot for the freedom and openness - every single optional safety device, be it seat belts, 4/5 point harnesses, 1/2 helmets 3/4 helmets, full helmets or hans devices, all of them reduce that freedom a bit, the more safety coverage the less freedom & openness

how much of that freedom & openness you want to give up so that you can feel safer is a matter of your choice and perhaps local laws.

I try to keep the openness and freedom to the maximum amount I can as such I use the lightest and smallest 1/2 helmet I can find I do this because the law requires a helmet, On the other hand I do not use the factory seatbelt/shoulder harness, In California under the mandatory seatbelt law they specifically exempted motorcycles so legally I do not have to wear a seatbelt, but I do have a lap belt I installed that uses the factory buckle - I do use this and I wear it by choice to keep me from being ejected, God willing.

These are the choices I have made and I am comfortable with them - -

all of you, my friends, can and will make your own choices and whatever you choose, I will respect. It is not my place or for that matter anyone else's place to make these decisions for you

As a side note I must add that if I do see you riding around town in your Slingshot wearing a hans device please forgive me if start laughing - - - sorry 8o

• 4000 - 5000? - - - thats really much lower than I expected

consider these numbers

deaths per year in the U.S.

heart disease - 647,457

cancer - 599,108

flu & pneumonia 55,672

suicide - 47,173

seriously - you are more than 10 times more likely to die from the flu or pneumonia

so have you had your Pneumonia shots and do you get your flu shot each year? clearly you need these much more than you need a hans device