Need to start a new thread on this topic because it's important for all slingers

• That’s the reason they want babies to sit facing the rear of the car in car seats.....their head is so heavy and their neck muscles are not developed enough.

Not true, actually. Forward facing seats caused infants to be injured by air bags. This is why only front seats are turned backwards, and why ITSB recommended all infants sit (forward facing) in the BACK seat.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• I pay close attention to these kind of things....they have been saying it for years....facing rear in the back seat....

Half right again... no one recommends child seats up front any more, they haven't for 20+ years.

Wasn't this thread about helmets... for adults?

Ever seen an infant in a helmet? Didn't think so.

Would any parent trust their child's life to your amateur opinion? Don't think so either.

21 years ago after my youngest was born, nurse came in & discussed properly securing my son in a child's safety seat - before we left the hospital!

Oh yeah.... they said nothing about helmets.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Some years in the past, "way past" there was a proposal to try and require helmets in cars

sounds like something California would do, but then again it might interfere with the red light cameras getting good pictures of drivers. - - - - - maybe I should write Gov Newsom and see what he thinks

NOT!

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• [quote='Bigdog','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8088-need-to-start-a-new-thread-on-this-topic-because-it-s-important-for-all-slingers/&postID=278267#post278267']

We buy nice heavy helmets thinking it will protect or melon better and it could snap your neck....

So we should buy the lightest helmets.

The severity of the impact will determine how hard/fast your head travels forward. That was the reason for airbags...to prevent head and upper torso injuries. To push you back into your seat.

[/quote]

Sorry, wrong again. Air bags are designed to reduce the deceleration forces on your body and reduce the injuries to the body from contact with the interior of the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• Sorry, wrong again. Air bags are designed to reduce the deceleration forces on your body and reduce the injuries to the body from contact with the interior of the vehicle.

just so you know you can't win this argument - - - Bigdog will never stop or admit he is wrong, it isnt in his DNA to do so

• [quote='edwardaneal','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8088-need-to-start-a-new-thread-on-this-topic-because-it-s-important-for-all-slingers/&postID=278322#post278322']

Sorry, wrong again. Air bags are designed to reduce the deceleration forces on your body and reduce the injuries to the body from contact with the interior of the vehicle.

just so you know you can't win this argument - - - Bigdog will never stop or admit he is wrong, it isnt in his DNA to do so

[/quote]

Unfortunately, I know. Just can’t allow outright misinformation to stand.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• I’ve read everything here....not once did I say babies should be in the front seat....

Never said babies should wear a helmet.

An air bag instantly inflates to keep you as much as possible in the seat. Sure your momentum will force you toward the steering wheel....the air bag is pushing back to slow your momentum.

So I guess the bag inflating is not pushing outward toward the seat?

Baby seats in the back seat facing backwards...until the baby weighs 400 pounds.

So where is all this incorrect info?

I don’t have time for this crap.....I have to write a paper on brain surgery procedures...

• 400 pound babies!!!! - - dang they must grow them big where your from Bigdog

:thumbsup:

• [quote='hunter','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/8088-need-to-start-a-new-thread-on-this-topic-because-it-s-important-for-all-slingers/&postID=278196#post278196']

Not saying he did or didn’t but, how could he lay down strapped in with a harness and helmet and Han device? Don't their harnesses come up between your legs and over your shoulders? The safest place to be in that type of crash is strapped into the cage. If he loosened everything to lay down he committed suicide. There have been drivers violently roll vehicles wheels to wheels and end for end many times and walk away because they were strapped in. That just sounds very odd to me.

That said, I went off the road on my bike heading toward trees and I closed my eyes and let go of the handlebars to cover my head with a helmet on. Could I have steered the bike around them? I think I was already out of control when I let go. I survived.....might have been a very good decision. I woke up at the bottom of a big tree. My head was inches from the trunk....I must have took a pretty big hit because I blacked out...don’t know if I hit the tree and bounced back or stopped short. My face hit something because I had a bloody nose. No full face or chin guard. Maybe my arms hit my nose. It’s funny what you think about in those few life or death seconds....I just remember saying cover your head and hope it works. That could have been my last thoughts...being able to walk away even banged up is a good thing.

The ''Lack'' of him using the Han.......Was a contributing reason he broke his neck....

[/quote]

Not to mention that he used a seat out of a van and not a racing seat.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• I just paid a ticket received from the Washington State Highway Patrol that I thought included a no-helmet citation. It turns out that it did not. The situation was that I had just come off the interstate into Kennewick, WA in 104 degree heat on my way to Sundre, Alberta.

I pulled over and ditched the helmet for an ice-water soaked doo-rag to cool me down. My fuel light had come on and I was searching for a gas station when I heard a siren. A quick search in the rear-view revealed that it was a trooper immediately behind me. I moved to the right lane with him on my tail so I pulled over onto the shoulder. It turns out he had been following me with his lights on for some time and he was quite perturbed at how unobservant I was. Maybe he just needs to be a little less incognito.

He told me I was doing 61 in a 50 and that I was required to wear a helmet. I explained that I had been, that it was in the cubby behind me and that I would put it back on immediately. He asked if I was required to have my 3-wheel endorsement and told me that they 'were required' to cite anyone riding with no helmet. I told him no endorsement was required and he went back to his air-conditioned vehicle to check me out. When it got up to 114 degrees he returned with my ticket and explained he cited me for only 5 over (moving violation dammit!).

I took the ticket and stuffed it without reading it, expecting it to be both speeding and no helmet. The fact that he did not cite me for the helmet makes me wonder if the state patrol is figuring out that seatbelts in conjunction with a helmet is a safety issue. I have seen and read conflicting opinions on the helmet issue from the state patrol in Washington and I wish they would come out with a definitive statement on their position. I may try to reach out to this trooper to ask him why he did not cite me when he said he was required to. I think his back office may have backed him off. It certainly wasn't because of my behavior.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I am guessing that temp reading was due to engine heat.... I also would be more than interested in the statement that the state patrol is figuring out that seatbelts with helmets is a safety issue. I have several friends that are State patrol officers and they just enforce the laws... They do not interpret them. If the law says to wear it you have to... Period. I do agree with you that they need to define what is and what is not legal....It is not like this is the first day for a Slingshot. They have been around for 4 or 5 years.

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• I spent a few hours driving with this on.....it didn’t take long to get used to it.

It’s styrofoam so it’s pretty solid. They make them that are all soft foam....might be slightly more comfortable to wear.....but I’m thinking the styrofoam would offer more support in a crash...

• I am glad you are being safe, but personally there is no way I am putting a Styrofoam collar around my neck and then riding in 110 degree weather - - just aint happening - not ever, not to mention the fact I think it would look really stupid with my tiny 1/2 helmet

I sure wouldnt want to be responsible for leaving people with the impression that people who ride slingshots are dorks

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• I am glad you are being safe, but personally there is no way I am putting a Styrofoam collar around my neck and then riding in 110 degree weather - - just aint happening - not ever, not to mention the fact I think it would look really stupid with my tiny 1/2 helmet

I sure wouldnt want to be responsible for leaving people with the impression that people who ride slingshots are dorks

It did prevent some wind from hitting my neck...

Part of the reason this thing will work is do to the type of helmet you have on....I think the best results will be from wearing a helmet that is considered full face....the chin of the helmet will rest on the collar...along with the part below your ears and behind your head near your shoulders...

With a half helmet you’re just gonna die.

With half a helmet it’s going to be worse....because all of the helmet weight will be on top of your head making it more top heavy...

• as I said above around town I only use a lap belt, no shoulder strap, so if I get hit in the front or back my entire upper body will move forward with my head so I shouldnt get the neck snapping I would with a shoulder belt - biggest concern would be hitting the steering wheel and my helmet should help with that

also wearing my full face helmet when its 110 degrees is just about as likely as me wearing that collar 8o