Engine Swaps -- What options are out there?

• Hi all. Been off the forums for a while now, but have been lurking around from time to time. Been too busy riding to log on the computer to read, lol. That and getting shit from the boss that I was spending too much time on non work affiliated websites, lol :rolleyes: Apparently telling the boss you're bored, doesn't make them see your point of view, lol

So I am making plans for my Sling's future and I am looking onto Engine Swaps. I have completely fallen in love with the LS3 Engine swap ever since Henry at old Alpha let me take the Beast for a rip. That thing sounds exactly like you would expect the Slingshot should sound when you buy it!

However, cost is a factor to consider and that conversion does not come cheap. So, I need to start saving now :)

So this got me to thinking, what engines have been put under the hood on the Slingshot that we know of? There is the LS3, DDM's forged 2.4, and there is the Honda out there. But, what else has been tried? Has anyone looked into a 6 cylinder, or Ford's 302?

I am just curious what is tried & true, and what cost they came in at.

• There are a few of us with the DDM engine / Turbo or SC. I must say I am very happy with the durability and performance. The addition of the Haltech to refine the tune and maximize performance was worth the extra $. We are at about 500 hp which is way more than you can use.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• Anything you swap in is going to be expensive. Scott Riley from Sport Rider in WI just put a 2JZ engine out of a Toyota Supra in his. Last time he was on the dyno he was around the 400whp mark. You can find those engines fairly cheap and from what he was telling me in Maggie the majority of the parts to make it work in the SS were fairly inexpensive. But it will all depend on the condition of the engine and how much of the work you do yourself. If I had to take an educated guess Scott probably has around $10k just into the 2JZ engine setup. It really all comes down to what your definition of expensive is, what your goals are, and what your approximate budget is. It's really easy to dump $8k-$10 into a fully built engine and turbo setup on one of the LE5 engines that come in the Slingshot.

We also make a forged engine here at ZZP. You can see it here https://zzperformance.com/coll…3-forged-2-4l-short-block We offer it as just a short block but we can build it up into a long block for you as well. There are a lot of options in building it up so it's always best to talk to the person and look at budget and power goals so you can make sure they get everything they want/need to reach their goals but not sell them anything they don't need to get there. I have sold 10 short blocks and built another 5 of them into long blocks over the last 4 months and everyone has been very happy with them. Three of the short blocks and all 5 of the long blocks were installed here at ZZP and all of them were running our turbo kit. They all left making between 9-15psi of boost which is between 300-400whp. If you still are on 3 wheels, 400whp is way more than you'll ever need. We had a short block and ported head go to TX to a guy running a supercharger and he has also been extremely happy. The point being we can build to suit anyone's needs running any companies parts. We will also have a drop in turbo engine swap option next year that base power will start at 250whp. Stock internals will handle 400whp and the block will handle 500whp. There will be 3 turbo options available depending on what your power goals are. If you are interested in discussing any of this further, you can always email me directly at Kyle@zzperformance.com as well.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Kyle D

I keep forgetting that you are that close to me. I was resigned to travelling 3 to 4 days to get this done.

You're only a day and a half away. 😎

After my post last night I did visit DDM and look at their forged engine, clutch and big brake along with a turbo.....

I will also check you guys out a bit later when I get home. At the dealer right now getting some TLC, lol.

MACAWS

Thanks for your info as well. I love the DDM stuff but this might come down to simple distance too.

Besides.... Can't beat the drive through the upper peninsula and the Straits of Macinack

• That drive through the UP is amazing. I try to get up there once a year to go see the pictured rocks and the falls and spend a day on Mackinac Island. If you didn't want to do the drive, you COULD ship it to me as well. Have us do the install and we will get it back on any transport that you schedule. I've had several people do that at this point. You definitely have options.

• My Pleasure - I have seen a lot of the ZZP products and thy are top notch as well. Kyle know his shit so I do not think you could go wrong either way.

Good luck

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• That drive through the UP is amazing. I try to get up there once a year to go see the pictured rocks and the falls and spend a day on Mackinac Island. If you didn't want to do the drive, you COULD ship it to me as well. Have us do the install and we will get it back on any transport that you schedule. I've had several people do that at this point. You definitely have options.

Didn't want to drive?

Lol I grew up driving the #2 from Manitoba to Buffalo NY every Christmas. When I do this, I am absolutely planning to drive down and likely stay at the Straits when we do this.

• It's worth the drive...I stopped in and checked out ZZP's shop...hands down one of the nicest facilities I have ever seen. If you can get past the attitude that Kyle D has ;), you will probably end up getting a great product. I am tentatively looking at their block as my winter project...but we will see...Family vacations are eating up my fun money. lol

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• It's worth the drive...I stopped in and checked out ZZP's shop...hands down one of the nicest facilities I have ever seen. If you can get past the attitude that Kyle D has ;), you will probably end up getting a great product. I am tentatively looking at their block as my winter project...but we will see...Family vacations are eating up my fun money. lol

If by attitude you mean appreciative of you for stopping by on your way home to make me jealous of another person with a 4 wheel conversion then yes. Terrible attitude. ;)

• If my LE5 ever dies I'm seriously thinking of swapping in a Jetta diesel engine and front wheel drive. That would delete all of the SS engine, trans, driveshaft, angle drive and belt. The reason for this kind of swap is I own a Jetta diesel and love the performance, after a ecm tune, and the 50 mpg I get. Plus I think a front wheel drive SS would be really stable. Jetta also has the DSG transmission, think paddle shifter. I do have several kin that are great welders and a machine shop in the family so weird parts would be an easy thing to cure.

LC

• Still waiting for someone to make an all wheel drive subie engine fit our SS.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• I thought Jamie was working on that.

Yeah, been awaiting him to release any news. Nothing over the past year or so. I wish I had the skills to do it myself.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1