~ (Pix) ~ New Wheels & Tires vs Old, which one you like better?

• Just me mind you, ...But there isn't much of a difference between them to make a difference...??

Thanks. As I said I am the 5-Spoke-WHeel junkie, here are my other vehicles and do focus on the all the wheel designs I choose:

my 540i (Wheel Set#1):

ec1staff.jpg

eurocar.jpg

my 540i (Wheel Set #2, this one is very old shcool):

breyton1.jpg

my 540i (Wheel Set #3):

mp8.jpg

mp6.jpg

my 360:

ferrari16.jpg

ferrari5.jpg

my 360 (Wheel Set #1):

ferrari_wheels.jpg

my 360 (Wheel Set #2):

newcar4.jpg

my 325:

325cic1.jpg

my murcielago:

murcielago2.jpg

murcielago9.jpg

my 911:

996ttcab2.jpg

996ttcab8.jpg

my Giulia:

giulia_14.jpg

my 996:

ducati2.jpg

ducati4.jpg

ducati19.jpg

my 996:

y996d.jpg

Now if you look again to the wheels on my SS, you could tell them apart :-)

my SS Wheel #1:

my SS Wheel #2:

Cheers & Thank you so much for your input :-)

More thoughts?

• Me thinks that you have more fine vehicles than you can adequately operate. I’m available to take a couple off your hands 🤣

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• looking at the old I see 5 spokes shaped like the letter "Y" - looking at the new I see 5 slightly different spokes shaped like the letter "Y"

old wheel has 5 of these

i-hsNvGHM.png

new wheel has 5 of these

i-pKBLcng.png

other than the black on the old the biggest difference is the placement of the lug nuts between the spokes on the old and in the center on the spoke in the new

if you like you could also say that both have 5 hollow spokes shaped like tuning forks, but either way both are 5 whatever

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• in the end the only thing that matters is if you like them - what I think matters not

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• OK - here goes. An honest, personal opinion. I like the new ones better. They look more like mags than spokes. Just my humble opinion.

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter

• OK - here goes. An honest, personal opinion. I like the new ones better. They look more like mags than spokes. Just my humble opinion.

Thank you so much, my thoughts the same.

May I ask if you are currently running the blk OEM SLR Wheels? Are they lighter than the OEM SL Wheels (+ TIres)?

Just saw on the Polaris site that the SLR wheels are Forged Aluminum vs SL's Cast Aluminum so wonder how much lighter they are

• Thank you so much, my thoughts the same.

May I ask if you are currently running the blk OEM SLR Wheels? Are they lighter than the OEM SL Wheels (+ TIres)?

Just saw on the Polaris site that the SLR wheels are Forged Aluminum vs SL's Cast Aluminum so wonder how much lighter they are

I'm running Niche Turin M170s, front and back.

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter

• I am sure the new wheels are better and I like them better than the old. I would go with a bigger change. It looks so close to old I don’t think anyone would notice much. I want something different than everyone else has so they aren’t for me. This just my opinion and it really doesn’t matter what I want. You did ask for opinions so that is mine. New looks better any way you stack it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Thank you so much, my thoughts the same.

This is primarily the main reason i have not gone aftermarket wheels on my SLR until i am sure they are at least 2 piece or 3 piece forged wheels and im not actually adding extra weight and thus reducing performance and handling. I also couldn’t deal with a wheel bigger than 20” in the rear. Many performance vehicles throughout the years and wheel experiences to have learned that bigger is NOT better specially performance wise.

• This is primarily the main reason i have not gone aftermarket wheels on my SLR until i am sure they are at least 2 piece or 3 piece forged wheels and im not actually adding extra weight and thus reducing performance and handling. I also couldn’t deal with a wheel bigger than 20” in the rear. Many performance vehicles throughout the years and wheel experiences to have learned that bigger is NOT better specially performance wise.

I did extensive research on the topic of forged wheels vs. cast. After going through a couple of white papers, the conclusion was the difference in weight for a given wheel size offers no real tangible difference in performance and handling. The only tangible difference was the forged had better strength and durability in material design.

After doing this research I was more than happy to go with an SL knowing I would be upgrading to custom wheels with a rear wheel that was better in looks than the SLR in my opinion.

• I did extensive research on the topic of forged wheels vs. cast. After going through a couple of white papers, the conclusion was the difference in weight for a given wheel size offers no real tangible difference in performance and handling. The only tangible difference was the forged had better strength and durability in material design.

After doing this research I was more than happy to go with an SL knowing I would be upgrading to custom wheels with a rear wheel that was better in looks than the SLR in my opinion.

I beg to differ on this. 3 piece and 2 piece forged wheels are generally lighter than cast aluminum wheels. This can be felt almost inmediately after installing them in. On my last project, i went from stock wheels that weighted approximarely 28lbs each wheel to about 20lbs Per wheel by going with a wheel company that offers 3 piece wheels + performance oriented weight shaving packages. The difference is inmediately felt. There is a reason HRE wheels, Strasse, COR, to name a few cost what they cost. They are not just for looks but performance oriented as well. You will rarely see a Porsche or a GTR or a Corvette with cheap, cast aluminum heavy wheels.

• Now i have no idea if the SLR wheels are lighter overall than the SL stock wheels as there seems to be no data on this ( to my knowledge). When it comes to looks, well i sctually think the SLR wheels are good looking wheels, certainly much better looking than some of the aftermarket wheels i have seen.

• I beg to differ on this. 3 piece and 2 piece forged wheels are generally lighter than cast aluminum wheels. This can be felt almost inmediately after installing them in. On my last project, i went from stock wheels that weighted approximarely 28lbs each wheel to about 20lbs Per wheel by going with a wheel company that offers 3 piece wheels + performance oriented weight shaving packages. The difference is inmediately felt. There is a reason HRE wheels, Strasse, COR, to name a few cost what they cost. They are not just for looks but performance oriented as well. You will rarely see a Porsche or a GTR or a Corvette with cheap, cast aluminum heavy wheels.

I will disagree and call it a placebo effect. Here is a quote below from just one article out there on the topic of light vs heavy wheels. The jist of the article states that tires are a greater factor for performance than wheel weight. Keep in mind there are many articles that support this. I am sure if you look hard enough you might find an article that states otherwise but I have seen many more that proves the performance benefit of lighter wheel weight as a myth.

To me forged vs. cast vs. two-piece are simply marketing practices to differentiate trims (bump up sticker prices) for various sports cars.

"Performance-wise, the differences were not as significant. With the same car, same fuel load, same number of laps and identical-wear tires, the difference between average lap time for the fastest and slowest wheel was a scant half-second. Averaged over all the different wheels, our EVO’s average lap time on the Figure 8 is 25.83 seconds, which means we’re splitting hairs in terms of a noticeable handling difference between the wheels."

http://www.superstreetonline.c…06-performance-wheel-test

I will say this, my heavier old-school crager wheels give me a more satisfying ride on my SS because it cushions the bumps nicely (even at 45 psi for the rear). Also going to a 305mm (SLR spec) from 255 rear tire really does add a little more grip in the turns and just a hair more traction for the rabbit start.

You can make a case that heavier wheels will cost you a fraction of a second in acceleration and braking but for me it's the looks that make the trade-off worth it since I don't plan on doing any drag racing with my SS or track time either.

Ever since I put on my cragars last week I have been getting a lot of horn honks and thumbs up from passerbys. I wasn't getting this level of attention with my stock SS wheels before. Why because the stock SS wheels (all trims) are typical commonplace modern designs you see in a lot of cars nowadays and that's fine if you want to go with the current thin-spoke trending look.

• And just to add more weight on the matter :) here is a more current article.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.…ter-wheels-really-better/

Heavy wheel (Mas)

total weight per corner: 42 lbs., 4.6 oz.

vs.

Light wheel (Volk)

total weight per corner: 30 lbs., 14.6 oz.

Lap times in seconds:

Masitaly Volk TE37 Mas (rerun)
    Bryn's average 56.99 56.32 56.63
    Bryn's best 56.57 55.85 56.39
    Alan's average 58.02 57.26 57.36
    Alan's best 57.68 57.06 57.22

and as expected a more notable difference in acceleration (braking assumed as well)

0-60 times:

Volk TE37 8.61
    Volk w/ ballast 8.75
    Masitaly 9.04

The one thing I will emphasis that the article doesn't cover is the more cushioned drive thanks to more inertia from the extra weight. I swear putting on the cragars felt like I had upgraded the shocks.