Brake Failure Light

• Brake Failure light came on a few weeks ago. Would have gotten real excited but remember some discussion of this issue.
    After realizing that I had brakes, checked cruise control, did not work. Called my dealer, 60+ mi. away, and told him about my issue, he ordered brakes switches. Went today to have installed and after a change of both, still have Brake Failure light. He had called Polaris with issue and they sent him parts. Said he would get with Polaris to see what issue might be. Told him I remembered bad switches from forum info. Left with light OFF, 5 mi. down road, brakes, and light back ON. Called him back and he told me the customer he had fixed the end of last week called to say his Brake Failure light was back on. Has Polaris not fixed the switch problem and are there still bad ones out there? Is there another issue I need to be looking at?

• Anything is possible and I may be way off base. Any chance they hard faulted your brake system during the switch replacement and failed to clear the fault. Totally unrelated, but that was the problem when they replaced my steering rack.

You got bumped even if i am wrong...

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Brake Failure light came on a few weeks ago. Would have gotten real excited but remember some discussion of this issue.
    After realizing that I had brakes, checked cruise control, did not work. Called my dealer, 60+ mi. away, and told him about my issue, he ordered brakes switches. Went today to have installed and after a change of both, still have Brake Failure light. He had called Polaris with issue and they sent him parts. Said he would get with Polaris to see what issue might be. Told him I remembered bad switches from forum info. Left with light OFF, 5 mi. down road, brakes, and light back ON. Called him back and he told me the customer he had fixed the end of last week called to say his Brake Failure light was back on. Has Polaris not fixed the switch problem and are there still bad ones out there? Is there another issue I need to be looking at?

I changed mine out myself, bleed the system and light has not come back on and cruise hasn't failed since .

• My Brake Failure light started coming on last week about 1 week after I installed the SlingMods Brake Light Modulator. Disconnected the modulator, but the BF light keeps coming back on. Brakes work, but Cruise Control doesn't. Turn engine off and restart and the light is off and CC works. Depending on how often I use the brakes, the BF light comes back on and I lose the CC again. Going to dealer tomorrow (100 miles each way). Also gonna have the rear axle noise checked.

• Had brake failure light first time on way home from SSITS. Pulled into rest area. Cycling power 2 times still on. Then light just went off by itself while engine running. Didn't see again next 3 hours home.

Any update on what's causing

Mine is a 2016 LE

• It seems the magnetic brake switches Polaris uses work fine until they start not working. Mine worked fine until about 19500 miles and I think my dealer adjusted them because the BF light didn't come back on during the trip home. A day or so later, the light started coming back on and the Cruise Control would stop. After turning the engine off and restarting, the light usually stay off for a while and the CC works until I have to use the brakes to come to a stop, at which point the BF light usually comes back on.
    Several folks ( rabtech among them, IIRC) have switched to regular contact switches with custom fabbed brackets and that seems to have solved the problem. Check this thread on the old forum - Brake Failure Warning Light ( common problem / solution found ) | Page 8 | Polaris Slingshot Forum

• As some dealers will claim, relying on info from Forums is a gamble at best! Outdated, rumor-based info!
    In all seriousness, I feel Forums are a great mechanism for owners to exchange info about their experiences with a product.
    I'm not aware of any change in the brake switches, but manufacturers slipstream changes like that all the time. That way they can just claim the change is a product improvement as opposed to being a needed fix for a problem.

• You guys are talking about a couple of different things. The brake switch vs the brake sensors. The most common cause for the brake failure light to come on is for the brake sensors of which there are 2 on the side of the master cylinder. Dealer swap out under warranty, no big deal. Once it shows up you may as well get it done as it's free, the code is in there to justify it and most likely the fail light will continue to come on with shorter intervals. I also thought the newer (sensors) were not as prone to failure.

• Thanks for the clarification. Generally speaking, if my BF light comes on, restarting the engine allows the BF light to stay off and the Cruise Control to work until I have to actually use the brakes. I'll need to talk to the dealer when my warranty parts finally come in (front angle drive seal & replacement rear rotor).

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Mine has started coming on... As stated by @BKL, if I turn off and back on, it's off... Turns on again after a bit of time and, believe it or not, braking. But the brakes work... Haven't tried cruise control...

What to do? Take in to dealer? Will it all be covered...? I'm a 2015 (early one I believe, I bought pre-owned)... Do I still have warranty? Ah! :00008862:

• Polaris extended the warranty for those folks who had the Steering rack recall. They haven't offered any special treatment for subsequent recalls.

tell me about it!

Edit:.. they will be replacing my SS so that is special

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

Edited once, last by Ruptured Duck ().

• You guys are talking about a couple of different things. The brake switch vs the brake sensors. The most common cause for the brake failure light to come on is for the brake sensors of which there are 2 on the side of the master cylinder. Dealer swap out under warranty, no big deal. Once it shows up you may as well get it done as it's free, the code is in there to justify it and most likely the fail light will continue to come on with shorter intervals. I also thought the newer (sensors) were not as prone to failure.

dealer said that the Polaris said to them when they got the new procedure to fix for the soft brake pedal issue that it would also fix the brake failure light as well.... guess find out as my brake failure light has started coming on about every other start.

• dealer said that the Polaris said to them when they got the new procedure to fix for the soft brake pedal issue that it would also fix the brake failure light as well.... guess find out as my brake failure light has started coming on about every other start.

They are 2 totally different issues. Problem with this will be that they'll do the soft pedal fix, you'll leave with no brake fail light on and it will come back on before you get halfway home. Then you get to play with these not well informed SS people all over again.

• They are 2 totally different issues. Problem with this will be that they'll do the soft pedal fix, you'll leave with no brake fail light on and it will come back on before you get halfway home. Then you get to play with these not well informed SS people all over again.

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• They are 2 totally different issues. Problem with this will be that they'll do the soft pedal fix, you'll leave with no brake fail light on and it will come back on before you get halfway home. Then you get to play with these not well informed SS people all over again.

This was supposed info from ask polaris. Again 2nd hand info from dealer i told to go to ask polaris.