Top #3... What is missing in the market.

• We are working on MeanSling top design #3 that we feel covers the last section of the SlingShot top market. As always we believe the SlingShot looks best without a top but also understand it's freaking hot out there. We have core requirements for any top we come to market with....

(1) easy to use, removable if desired

(2) Stock original look when removed

(3) priced correctly

What's your core must have for a top? What would make you buy a top? For those with a top what would make you replace what you have?

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• For me I'd love to have a top that folded away like a convertible top on a car .

Don't think anything short of that would make me change the sport top .

Hope the feedback helps- - - Happy MeanSling customer :)

• I would also like a top that folded.... but I'm cost sensitive, so that may not be in the cards for me.

What about a canvas piece that would cover sides & rear for better protection in windy, wet, cold weather. (Thinking about winter hats with fold down ear flaps!) 🤠

Racing stripes would be an excellent option as well!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Patrick, you probably know you are opening a can of worms and are going to get some outlandish ideas with this, so here is mine :)

I have the TD canvas top, I bought it because of the "roll bar" part, as well as the cover. I can take mine off, but it's not nearly as simple as your tops are, but I didn't plan to take it off. I use the roll bar to pull myself out, as well as for the safety factor. I know it's not technically a roll bar, it has had no testing as such, but it does give me peace of mind and is sturdy. The canvas part is easy to take off, just a couple of minutes (if you haven't modified things like I have).

I also love the looks of the slingshade, but it's light weight (understandably), and isn't a roll bar setup in any sense of the definition.

My perfect top would combine the two, the safety factor of the TD top with the looks of the slingshade. A roll cage that has the lines of the slingshade with a sturdy construction (doesn't have to be a certified roll cage, just something that could handle that type of weight/stress), and with options for soft or hard top, possibly that can be removed if someone wants to go "topless".

I realize this type of setup wouldn't be cheap, but I'd pony up for it and I feel there is a market for it. Many people love the look of the slingshade, but it's also rejected by a lot of people due to it's line of sight issues for taller drivers, so that would have to be taken into account.

Good luck!

• wokka can of worms is good. Ideas can come from anywhere. The product may not be what was suggested but it might trigger a different way of looking at something that wasn't thought of before. This may lead to a solution for an idea that was already in the works but running up against engineering hurdles.

I will always be cost sensitive with what I bring to market. I always approach it as if I was buying it. I ain't got a lot to waste...

As for a folding top..... Yes that is the Holy Grail...?(

I just want to make sure I'm "Choosing wisely" in what time is spent on....

Wonder if anyone will pick up on references there????? :/

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Okay, now I'll jump in here. I am one of the guys where the tops are all just a little too low. I sit up in the curved area of the Polaris top and the front bar is actually BELOW my line of sight. My head tops out just under the top bar of the black roll bar in back and my head was literally 1/4" from the plastic top.

So my #1 concern is the height of the top. I loved all your designs - and I was going to be one of the first for that removable stowable top, but the height killed it for me. I didn't want a top but the Texas sun was killing me (ask wokka about my left arm tan) and so I thought this would be a perfect compromise.

My #2 concern is the ingress/egress of getting in/out of the SS with a top. I decided to go with the TD Gull Wing. The top is well above my head and the front bar is just above my line of sight so I have to move my head to see stop lights, but it also functions as a temporary sun visor when needed. I too liked the "roll bar" styling of the tops even though it's not guaranteed, but getting in/out of the solid ones was a pain for me. That's why I liked the gull wing style that opened up the sides.

My distant #3 concern is overall looks. I actually don't care for the height/jacked up look of the TD GW top - makes it look too much like a dune buggy (I even had some guy ask if the SS was street legal). It probably needs to flow better with lines of the SS, The Polaris top does that well - they just need to be taller and go over the roll bar instead of thru it.

• I am probably a broken record by now but for me one of the thing that would make me consider it is having arms with thick tubing for an "OEM" look and if it's covered with canvas then the ability to remove the canvas for a topless feel.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• To be honest I think you already have the two best options out there in the top market. I love my sport top, as you say its the perfect top for someone like me who doesnt really want a top. Your new quick shade takes that a step further in being able to go with you and had it been available at the time I would have gotten it

I think the one thing that would take it up a notch would be if you could design a top that could be opened or closed from the driver seat something so simple it could be done sitting at a stop light

I was picturing something like your quick shade that was on a roller mounted on the roll hoops that you could reach back and pull forward and latch on to the front bar - I was thinking a spring loaded roller that would keep tension on the top.

of course this does not meet your criteria of looking stock when open because you would have the frame around the windshield area and the roller box across the hoops you could make both easily removable to go back to the totally stock look, but then we are back yo not having it with you all of the time

frankly like I said above I think the two tops you already have pretty much cover the light and easy to remove top market - in your lineup the top you are missing is the top that is intended to be permanent and there are already a ton of options out there for that.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Markets change and unexpected factors will always demand that you keep looking to improve or replace a product. Some have long life cycles with very little change and some have very shorter lives and may require more updates. Got to keep it new and fresh otherwise you do not have return customers. The trick is to always offer what the customer wants when they want it.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• looking very interesting :thumbsup:

• What about some sort of tonneau cover. That has zippers or a provision to open the drivers area up. Would work under most roofs probably. Give you way more rain protection for the cockpit. And a splash guard for beside the driver. Those who don't want to have a roof get great weather protection as well for longer trips. Could attach with some sort of pocket over the seat maybe. And if it's raining you just jump out zip it closed and voila its covered lol. My 2 cents anyways your definitely the right guy to share that with. Hope all is well with you and the wifey :)

• What about some sort of tonneau cover. That has zippers or a provision to open the drivers area up. Would work under most roofs probably. Give you way more rain protection for the cockpit. And a splash guard for beside the driver. Those who don't want to have a roof get great weather protection as well for longer trips. Could attach with some sort of pocket over the seat maybe. And if it's raining you just jump out zip it closed and voila its covered lol. My 2 cents anyways your definitely the right guy to share that with. Hope all is well with you and the wifey :)

Yep... Been on the list sense the day I got the sling. I have owned a number of British sports cars. I have even found the correct fasteners that match the SlingShot. The big question has to do with the SlingShot owner. Would they be willing to drill and mount the required fasteners.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

• Yep... Been on the list sense the day I got the sling. I have owned a number of British sports cars. I have even found the correct fasteners that match the SlingShot. The big question has to do with the SlingShot owner. Would they be willing to drill and mount the required fasteners.

I cant answer this for others, but for me it would all depend on how these fasteners looked when the cover was removed.