Kyle D has topped the 1/2 mile speed record. Now set at 149.24

• Grats! Kyle D as we discussed at Homecoming, did that rear spoiler do any good or do you have any thoughts on it?

It does enough. Is it creating huge amounts of down force? Not likely, but it’s keeping the rear end where it needs to be.....straight behind me. That front splitter is amazing. The front end was planted like a rock and I only had issues with a couple humps in the runway above 145 give or take. As I would go over them, the rear tire would break loose and I just had to keep my foot in it. When it reconnected, the rear would shimmy a little and straighten out. My last run, it ripped loose and it sent me towards the inside lane and the rear wheel of a Shelby Mustang when it reconnected solidly with pavement. I backed off the throttle, it straightened back out and I still ended up reeling in the mustang and trapping just over 145mph. I’m fairly certain that was my 150+ pass. Everything was perfect up to that moment. I guess rabtech will have to be the first one to 150 unless I can get there in Indy first.

It’s a little bitter sweet to be honest. While I raised the bar a bit, I fell short of my goal so I’m a little bummed about that. But overall, Dan and I had a great day. We set some records both overall and personal, we didn’t break anything, countless kids had their day made by getting their pictures taken sitting in our Slingshots, and most importantly, nobody got hurt.

On to Indy!!!!!

ZZPerformance, Go Fast Not Broke
    EST 2000

• I guess rabtech will have to be the first one to 150 unless I can get there in Indy first.

I have to say that it couldn't have happened for a nicer guy. The first time I met Kyle D was in Indiana last year a the track. He and his crew were absolutely beyond friendly and extremely professional to me and to everyone else. Being knocked off the top spot is not so bad when it happens to be someone you know that has worked their ass off to get there.

Now that I have got the official butt kissing out of the way.... :D:D I am going to go ahead and make it very clear that 150mph in 1/2 mile is going to be a really tough pill for me to swallow. Kyle D got my attention today when he turned a 147mph and then he threw down the 149mph. After I saw that number one thing is for sure,,,,.I damn sure am not going to be doing any friendly smack talk. :P You didn't leave much room for me to make any mistakes for sure.. You definitely brought a full truck load of "whip ass" to the track today. Congrats.

You also brought up a good point about how squirrely the Slingshot gets when it's above 140. You and I both nearly swapped lanes last year at Indy when we were hit with a gust of wind from the side. I am hoping for sure that we have some wind free days ahead. That gives you a really bad feeling in the pit of your stomach when it shifts out of your own lane.

Honestly if I can just turn a "better" number than I did last time I will be extremely happy. I would love to beat your 149 but that is going to be asking a lot from my poor old wore out Slingshot... I will have to give it a B12 vitamin shot and see if it has anymore left in it to give next month....8)

P.S. I don't think its going to be only you and I competing for very much longer. I have this feeling that someone has been building something evil. I have even heard rumors that has been designed, sculpted, and groomed just to run this type of race. :whistling: I must go now. I have said to much. =O

• rabtech wind can do some amazing sculpting if you know where to look. If it's who I think than some tight lips have been kept for sure.

I really hope to see someone with the underbelly tweaked and some rear down force applied in the best location for the SlingShot.... In my opinion.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• That has to make a big difference in traction and handling..

Should be a three wheel and four wheel category...apples to apples

I do have to agree that I think Slingshots with quad conversions should at the very least get a notation next to any speed record they might set. In any event where distance is limited like a 1/2 mile or mile the added traction off the line has to be a big advantage and when looking at speeds set people should know about that advantage.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Ok, I'll be the one to say it and not beat around the bush.............It's not a big secret that Dave@DDMWorks went and did a bunch of wind tunnel testing. He posted about it. Clearly he wouldn't go and do all of that just to have fun and for the sake of saying "I went and did some wind tunnel testing once" and not use the data that came out of that for both product and Sling development. I think that all of us here can easily deduce that Dave or someone affiliated with him in some capacity is building a Slingshot for top speed runs based on the data gotten from said testing. With that said, I welcome anyone into the friendly competition to grab a lane. 149.24mph is currently the number to beat.......for now.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• All I can say is my hat is off to Kyle and anybody that has the cajoles to push a Slingshot to those velocities. I ‘member how Nuc’em feels at around 115 out on I-10 outside of VanHorn. Can you say twitchy?

Cudos to the SpeedMasters!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• Kyle D have you got any cockpit videos and front facing views of your runs.. I was hoping I could also have a copy of your tune you were running and possibly the fuel you were using. While your at it I could really use the brand, size, and pressure of the tire you were using. :thumbsup::D8o:D

I'm just asking for a friend. :thumbsup:

• Kyle D have you got any cockpit videos and front facing views of your runs.. I was hoping I could also have a copy of your tune you were running and possibly the fuel you were using. While your at it I could really use the brand, size, and pressure of the tire you were using. :thumbsup::D8o:D

I'm just asking for a friend. :thumbsup:

All video content went straight to our marketing department. We should have some footage in the next day or two on our youtube channel. I'll make sure to post the links as soon as they're up. We would be HAPPY to tune your beast.......I mean your friends Slingshot. wink-squared I was running E85 that day and I'm still on those same Micky Thompsons you and I were running last year in Indy. I really like them. I go through 3-4 a year but I haven't found anything I like better yet and they seem to work well.

• Ok, I'll be the one to say it and not beat around thebush.............It's not a big secret that Dave@DDMWorks went and did a bunchof wind tunnel testing. He posted about it. Clearly he wouldn't go and doall of that just to have fun and for the sake of saying "I went and didsome wind tunnel testing once" and not use the data that came out of thatfor both product and Sling development. I think that all of us here caneasily deduce that Dave or someone affiliated with him in some capacity isbuilding a Slingshot for top speed runs based on the data gotten from saidtesting. With that said, I welcome anyone into the friendly competition to grab a lane. 149.24mph is currently the numberto beat.......for now.

RESPECT!

Congrats brother on those insane runs. I'm hoping everyone makes it out to the Mile run later this year as I can't wait to see one of these SS's turn into a glider!

• All video content went straight to our marketing department. We should have some footage in the next day or two on our youtube channel. I'll make sure to post the links as soon as they're up. We would be HAPPY to tune your beast.......I mean your friends Slingshot. wink-squared I was running E85 that day and I'm still on those same Micky Thompsons you and I were running last year in Indy. I really like them. I go through 3-4 a year but I haven't found anything I like better yet and they seem to work well.

Yea. I am just messing with you. 8o Your setup is actually completly opposite of mine. I cant run e85 so I dont even tune for it.

And you have one of those clutch thingys ...:P

Those are so yesterday..... :thumbsup:

• Ok, I'll be the one to say it and not beat around the bush.............It's not a big secret that Dave@DDMWorks went and did a bunch of wind tunnel testing. He posted about it. Clearly he wouldn't go and do all of that just to have fun and for the sake of saying "I went and did some wind tunnel testing once" and not use the data that came out of that for both product and Sling development. I think that all of us here can easily deduce that Dave or someone affiliated with him in some capacity is building a Slingshot for top speed runs based on the data gotten from said testing. With that said, I welcome anyone into the friendly competition to grab a lane. 149.24mph is currently the number to beat.......for now.

Convert that same slingshot back to three wheels and clock it...

I have no skin in either game....I’m a fairness freak..so let’s just talk about the same thing.

• [quote='Bigdog','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/7995-kyle-d-has-topped-the-1-2-mile-speed-record-now-set-at-149-24/&postID=275258#post275258']

Ok, I'll be the one to say it and not beat around the bush.............It's not a big secret that Dave@DDMWorks went and did a bunch of wind tunnel testing. He posted about it. Clearly he wouldn't go and do all of that just to have fun and for the sake of saying "I went and did some wind tunnel testing once" and not use the data that came out of that for both product and Sling development. I think that all of us here can easily deduce that Dave or someone affiliated with him in some capacity is building a Slingshot for top speed runs based on the data gotten from said testing. With that said, I welcome anyone into the friendly competition to grab a lane. 149.24mph is currently the number to beat.......for now.

Convert that same slingshot back to three wheels and clock it...

I have no skin in either game....I’m a fairness freak..so let’s just talk about the same thing.

[/quote]

My slingshot only has 3 wheels so I’m guessing you’re talking about Dan’s slingshot. He was just out there having fun. It was his first ever 1/2mi event. Even going 132mph for your first time not having raced before is a big accomplishment. I was happy for him that he went that fast. If we need to we can have a 4 wheel top speed record so everyone stays happy and nobody can say “yeah but he has an extra wheel so it doesn’t count”. But at this point, he’s still 17mph from the current record so there’s nothing to really even discuss at this point let alone say change it back to 3 wheels. As rabtech can attest to, even an additional 10mph on top of his pass of 132mph is going to be extremely challenging.

Everyone has their own opinion on the 4 wheel conversion. I think it’s awesome. It’s like driving a giant go cart and after driving one I understand why some do it. But it’s not for everyone, just like adding a turbo or supercharger isn’t for everyone, and that’s fine. But we are lucky to have companies out there like Bullet Speed and Trak Hamr to fill that need for those that want it.

It’s like an automatic conversion. I personally don’t have any interest in it but I’ve driven Rabtechs and it’s pretty fucking sweet and I get why some people love it. Not to mention, no human can out shift the speed of these auto transmissions.

ZZPerformance, Go Fast Not Broke
    EST 2000

• I understand it’s a semi friendly competition. But there is also a company reputation at stake.

Any record attempt should have parameters and guidelines. NASCAR has qualifying rules and regulations to keep things fair.

I’m not saying it’s cheating but in my eyes they clearly fall into two different categories. The world record title should be designated as such.

Now there is a record on three wheels and on 4 wheels.

Some two wheelers hate three wheelers and the same probably goes for 4 wheeled three wheelers. LOL

I’m wondering if Polaris considers a 4 wheeled slingshot a slingshot.