Which Truck for towing

• For towing I use dependable old Big Red a 2015 Silverado 2500HD witha 6.0 and a 6 speed. Crew cab 8' Bed and I have never owned a better tow vehicle average 8 mpg towing and 18mpg without the trailer.

But my Sunday go to Church truck is 2019 1500 with the 6.2 and 10 speed. Gets a 20. mpg on the highway and 18 mpg around town. It has a tow package and tows a trailer pretty well - But Big Red wins the towing challenge.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I can't stand it, so I will add my two cents worth. You should consider a 3/4 ton for the weight but a 1/2 would do it. Their is one thing more, the brakes are larger and will handle the trailer weight better with a 3/4 ton.

New or used, its up to you. Make is your choice but I do have a few comments about that. I have owned 7 Ford diesels both 3/4 and 1 ton, all crew cabs. I pull 98% of the time a 16 ft cargo. My current F350 single rear wheel drive Crew cab 1 ton gets 17 MPG not pulling and 11.7 with my loaded trailer. Having said that my next truck (this year) will be a GMC diesel 3/4 ton. It is cheaper than a ford and I want more creature comforts since my wife and I are also pulling our slings now. I have NEVER owned a 4 wheel drive and never will. Fuel mileage, tire ware. noise, and cost, about 4K are greater. I am not a contractor, farmer, don't have a boat, drive in snow or go mudding. I have never found a pot hole on I 35 that I needed a 4 wheel drive to get out of. I would recommend a diesel over gas if you are going to be pulling most of the time it will cost about the same as gas when you run the numbers but the pulling torque is so much better. One final thing, get the best deal you can, lots of luck.

Jamesgn

• Ok I'm really the odd guy out here. I'm also looking for a replacement tow rig and need to think about how much towing I will be doing over the coming years. Same tailer set up Bubblehead . 20' enclosed at about 6k with the sling and inventory. Now don't laugh but have been towing this setup with a 220,000 miled Porsche Cayenne S with the 4.3L V8 for 3 years. I have to pull in the North GA area and it does it far better than any of you guys would guess. It's rated for 7,700lbs but I will argue that a good trailer braking system is almost as important as everything else noted. If the truck is not equipped with a built in system than buy the best brake controller you can find. Wieght distribution hitch with anti-sway. Just my 2cents. As others have noted 1/2 or 3/4 , gas or Diesel choose what you want but do not forget the tailer and the equipment needed to tow safely.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• 123hotdog how can I tell if the truck can do this

Stopping power is a function of brakes. Truck brakes and trailer brakes. I converted my travel trailer to electric over hydraulic discs. Best move I ever made with a trailer. Electrics are just not as effective ad discs.

Also look at your hitch set up. Trailer sway is no fun.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• . . . . but I will argue that a good trailer braking system is almost as important as everything else noted. If the truck is not equipped with a built in system than buy the best brake controller you can find. . . .

Ditto that. If you don't have a TBC in the truck (most newer ones do now), I HIGHLY recommend the Tekonsha Prodigy. Runs in the $120-150 range depending on your truck. Best TBC I ever owned (3 times!)

• Keep an eye out for the latest Dodge Ram series; they've made some significant upgrades since 2019. Whatever you choose, make sure to look for the latest towing technologies.

• I stumbled upon this post from 2019 and thought I'd chime in with some updated info. Towing needs have evolved, and if you're still on the lookout, check out https://www.truckexporter.co.uk/. They've got an extensive selection, and what's great is they regularly update their inventory. For those who want a reliable choice, the newer models of Ford F-150 continue to impress with advanced towing features.