Which Truck for towing

• After listening to a lot of people such as Boomer & dangerdarrell we have decided on a truck to haul our Slingshot. What I am looking for is reccomendations on the type of truck to get.

The trailer is 8.5 X 20 Enclosed Aluminum trailer, with Dual 3500# axels and an empty weight of 3500lbs.

So what truck does everyone recommend and why?

2x4 or 4x4

F150, 250 350 ?

1500, 2500, 3500 ?

THanks for the advice in advance

Life is simple ... you're either "Qualified or you're Not'

• Bigdog the trailer comes in at 3500 lbs empty and the sling with mods is another 2000 # not counting what other crap the wife puts in the trailer for travel. We are looking to go croos-country, mountains etc and she wants comfort and luxury as well as able to tow without over taxing the truck

• I would go with a 3/4 ton minimum and a diesel motor. But that's just me. I also refuse to buy a truck with an automatic because of the way I work my trucks. I haul heavy loads up and down pretty steep grades and like my gears. Every diesel truck in the world with an auto tranny is either just rebuilt or ready to rebuild. Not my cup of tea.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• My choice would be a Ram 2500 w/Cummins 6.7 diesel AND and automatic. I’m pulling s 10k travel trailer with mine every winter to play snowbird. Your 5 to 6k load would be almost a zero load with that combo. I have a 4x4 but could have gotten away with a 2wd and saved some bucks.

Heck, with your load a 1500 w/5.7L Hemi would pull the load without issue.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• To each their own but here goes.

Across the country= Luxury in the cab

The shortest bed possible and larger cab would be good for creature comforts while traveling

If you're thinking of saving a few bucks and going with a 4x2, nothing wrong with that.

But ask yourself this. What if your at a rally or a campground sunny skies and its perfect but the previous week it rained all week long? 4x2 won't be much help. It's nice to turn that knob to 4x4 when you need it.

As far as the brand. That's a matter of market and personal preference.

As for the size of truck. It's not what you can pull. A 1/2 ton will do it. It's what you can stop on a wet downhill with that box trailer pushing you.

Diesel versus gas? I'm not even trying that with this bunch. I'm a gas man. Had both. Love the torque of diesel but that rare trip to the repair shop just costs way too much for my blood.

The trade off with gas is well...... If you go gas, welcome to the 10mpg club.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• Well I have a f250 4x4 diesel and pull a 20’ x 8.6’ enclosed trailer. It will pull anything you put in that trailer and have the weight to stop it. I used it two times to Maggie and two times to Eureka.I also carried hot rod cars and trucks to car shows I used this rig in my business for six years.

I will say that it is like pulling a parachute down the highway, don’t expect great fuel mileage but you are riding in comfort rain or shine. I also like it at night at hotels cause no problems with someone messing around at night.

Just my opinion and comments. Give me call if you want.

JUST SAYIN

Keep Three Wheels Down

• Bubblehead do you have stock wheels on your sling. The reason is you will have maybe 1 1/2” from inside fender well to tire on each side. You have to be straight coming in or out, if you drive it in. I use a winch to pull so I can watch both sides.

If you have any questions call me. I’ll be glad to help you.

Keep Three Wheels Down

• Bubblehead do you have stock wheels on your sling. The reason is you will have maybe 1 1/2” from inside fender well to tire on each side. You have to be straight coming in or out, if you drive it in. I use a winch to pull so I can watch both sides.

If you have any questions call me. I’ll be glad to help you.

Lots of things one has to consider when trailering a Slingshot....Loaned my open flat bed to a local Slingshot owner an and with his aftermarket wheels he could load it, where my OEM wheels and tires sizes work just fine.

• I was in the same boat as you. I bought a 8.5x24 cargo trailer that I am converting to a toy hauler (kitchen, bath, beds, etc). Dry it weighs about 4000 lbs. Add the 1750 Slingshot and I figure I will top out in the 8000 range once I get everything in.

A standard 1/2ton truck will technically pull it, but barely. I had a 2008 Chevy Avalanche, lifted, bigger tires, and 180,000 miles that I towed this rig to SSITO last Sept. It barely made it. In fact, there were some points that I was barely doing 45mph on the freeway, over heating, etc.

I traded that Avalanche in for a 2015 Chevy Silverado with the 6.2L Engine and the tow package. That tows this rig fine. But yeah, 8mpg for me. I think it's not just the weight, but that big brick blocking air that you're trying to pull behind that makes it worse.

So, 1/2Ton HD or 3/4Ton.

• As for the size of truck. It's not what you can pull. A 1/2 ton will do it. It's what you can stop on a wet downhill with that box trailer pushing you.

123hotdog how can I tell if the truck can do this

• I traded that Avalanche in for a 2015 Chevy Silverado with the 6.2L Engine and the tow package. That tows this rig fine. But yeah, 8mpg for me. I think it's not just the weight, but that big brick blocking air that you're trying to pull behind that makes it worse.

@Chavey which did you get the 1500, 2500 or 3500

• Stirring it up a bit I have a Toyota Tundra. It's rated for 2000lb payload, 1000lb tongue weight, and 10,500lb tow capacity. It's a 4x4, but if you're not going off road a 4x2 would be more cost effective (mileage and price). The creature comforts are outstanding for a pickup and it handles like an oversized car.

It's made in America too. The factory is in San Antonio.

• I had a trailer that was 14 or 16 feet long 6 1/2 wide that came it around 15-1600 pounds....I thought you just wanted to tow the slingshot....not half your belongings....

No wonder you’re having the great truck debate..

My truck has a duel gearing button for towing...right on the column shifter...

• 123hotdog how can I tell if the truck can do this

When I bought my last truck, I told the salesman I was taking it home to hook up to my trailer and pull my mowers with it. I'm a Landscaper. I have got to know the characteristics of the truck before I make the purchase. I don't buy any vehicle without putting in the exact situation I intend to use it for. When we bought our Slingshot, I got in and went straight for "The Snake" 6 hours later we bought it.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• Stirring it up a bit I have a Toyota Tundra. It's rated for 2000lb payload, 1000lb tongue weight, and 10,500lb tow capacity. It's a 4x4, but if you're not going off road a 4x2 would be more cost effective (mileage and price). The creature comforts are outstanding for a pickup and it handles like an oversized car.

It's made in America too. The factory is in San Antonio.

San Antonio and Mexico. I think all the 4X4 are made in Mexico, 2X at San Antonio at least with the Tacoma trucks.