Air compressor - full or empty?

• When your air compressor is not in use do you leave the tank pressurized or do you let all the air out?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• When your air compressor is not in use do you leave the tank pressurized or do you let all the air out?

I just unplug it and it will slowly lose air....Unless i take the chuck off then i will leave it full..

But the problem with that is, My compressor holds 125 PSI, So if i left it full it will weigh too much for me to carry around.... ;)...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• I have 3 compressors.

I leave them all full.

Who wants to wait 5 minutes for the empty tank to fill up if you need it.

I just keep them drained of moisture regularly.

If you keep them drained of moisture regularly you have to empty the tank so your still waiting for the tank to refill. Best to leave them empty if you don't want water in the tank but suspect most don't, I know I don't. Probably need to drain mine.

• You should always drain them and leave valve open. Yes, it's a PITA the next time, but other wise, you are leaving water sitting inside the tank, creating rust and shortening the life of the tank. You would need an air-dryer set up for the input side of the compressor to prevent the water buildup (which most residential sized compressors don't)

• I've had 3 air tank / compressors over the last 20 years, They usually last 8 or 9, just buying my current one last year. First two failed on the pump side. These are cheaper consumer style ones that do 120 psi.

I leave them pumped up, with the valve closed so they don't leak. Have never drained one, didn't know that was a thing.

• Our humidity here is very low so having water in my tank has never been much of an issue. in the past when I open the drain valve and let all the air blast out it doesnt even leave any water on the ground below the drain.

• You should always drain them and leave valve open. Yes, it's a PITA the next time, but other wise, you are leaving water sitting inside the tank, creating rust and shortening the life of the tank. You would need an air-dryer set up for the input side of the compressor to prevent the water buildup (which most residential sized compressors don't)

I agree, especially if you live in a humid climate.

In the low desert in California, our humidity fluctuated from 5-35%, rarely got more than a drop or two of moisture when I drained them.

Here in Arkansas, I get quite a significant amount of water out each time. If you don't drain the tank, cooler temperatures at night cause condensation - AND RUST - inside the tank. Doesn't do to have a tank fail at 100 psi & up!

Drain the tank with full open valve!

Leave valve open, tank dry until next use!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Yep, I'm here in Texas (humidity 50%+) and still get a little water out of even just the little 6 gal pancake compressor.

• heck, on most days i could fill a glass with ice and water and set it out on the table and it wouldn't get a single drop of condensation. July and into August is our normally our humid time of year and right now we are at 16%

• Our compressor is outside and here in the southeast we get relatively high humidity. We drain the tank weekly and for the first 5-10 seconds it is like a water cannon coming out of the valve. We do drain down the lines every night though as the compressor only takes a couple minutes in the morning to get everything pumped back up.

• I've had 3 air tank / compressors over the last 20 years, They usually last 8 or 9, just buying my current one last year. First two failed on the pump side. These are cheaper consumer style ones that do 120 psi.

I leave them pumped up, with the valve closed so they don't leak. Have never drained one, didn't know that was a thing.

If all you use it for is airing tires no big deal but if you use it for spray painting then it becomes a very big deal.

• heck, on most days i could fill a glass with ice and water and set it out on the table and it wouldn't get a single drop of condensation. July and into August is our normally our humid time of year and right now we are at 16%

Are you the people I keep hearing about that keep drying up and blowing away?

• Are you the people I keep hearing about that keep drying up and blowing away?

don't know about the blowing away part, but around here if you are hanging around outside much you will dry up if you dont stay hydrated - heat and the dry air will suck the moisture right out of you

• I vote... EMPTY!

Had a storage shed rented for my boat and motorcycle. Stored a few other items there that I wasn't currently using.

Grabbed my cycle and went riding for the day. Returned to the storage unit and started to remove my lock. Noticed an outward bow to the door. Stepped back to look and noticed a similiar bow in the door next to my unit.

Opened my unit to find severe dust and stuff scattered everywhere. The sheet metal wall separating our two units had a three foot section blown in toward my unit.

I lost six fishing rods, five reels, a tackle box, two lanterns, a grill, and took a two inch crack to the bow of my fiberglass bass boat.

Long story shortened... ka-blooie!

150 gallon vertical air compressor, stored a week earlier, pressurized.

Unknown, to me, age of compressor, safeties maintained or overridden, dunno.

Had a great ride that day!

Glad I went for a ride that day rather than work on the boat or bike.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I have a Harbor Freight compressor going on almost 10 years, I always leave it full and only drain it once a year before winter to get rid of any "water build up" before temps take a dip.

I know I don't use it a lot, air tires(mostly bicycles), impact wrench to remove tires is about it, the darn thing looks brand new (aesthetically anyways) even though it's pushing almost 10 years.

So IMHO as long as you are not using it for painting you should be fine leaving it full.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.