help - - new noise

• been getting a new noise recently its a 'CH CH CH CH CH CH" kind of noise, not a clicking, but almost like a leaf rubbing against something and it only happens when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. If I let the pedal up even a little the sound goes away. Everything runs and shifts fine and seems to work perfectly. Any ideas as to what this might be or how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• been getting a new noise recently its a 'CH CH CH CH CH CH" kind of noise, not a clicking, but almost like a leaf rubbing against something and it only happens when the clutch pedal is fully depressed. If I let the pedal up even a little the sound goes away. Everything runs and shifts fine and seems to work perfectly. Any ideas as to what this might be or how to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

With the pedal pushed in, that would put load onto the slave cylinder bearing and pilot bearing. Does the noise sound like it is coming from the transmission area? Does the noise happen while moving, standing still or both?

• Wish I could hear it in person but, worst case, could be the hydraulic clutch release. Takes two guys about 5 hours to change a clutch the first time you do it. One of the few things that doesn’t require computer knowledge.

Engine comes out and clutch release cylinder is on the end of the trans output shaft. Most difficult part is the $300 plus part cost at NAPA. Also, don’t loose the tiny snap ring that holds the fluid line from the clutch master cylinder in.

• With the pedal pushed in, that would put load onto the slave cylinder bearing and pilot bearing. Does the noise sound like it is coming from the transmission area? Does the noise happen while moving, standing still or both?

Its hard to tell where the sound is coming from. sitting in the drivers seat stopped at idle with the clutch pushed all the way in is the only time it happens and at first I thought it was the muffler moving or something so it seems to come from my right.

• Wish I could hear it in person but, worst case, could be the hydraulic clutch release. Takes two guys about 5 hours to change a clutch the first time you do it. One of the few things that doesn’t require computer knowledge.

Engine comes out and clutch release cylinder is on the end of the trans output shaft. Most difficult part is the $300 plus part cost at NAPA. Also, don’t loose the tiny snap ring that holds the fluid line from the clutch master cylinder in.

this is not something I would even attempt at home - dont have the tools to pull a motor

• Edward Neal , engine lift at Harbor Freight is usually on sale for about $175. Some places rent them. Standard metric tools for everything. Lot of zip ties on wires but they are almost all marked with white tape. You can take some pics of stuff as you disconnect if you’re concerned.

Maybe you can mount your camera underneath at different locations to see just where the sound comes from. That takes zip ties too.

• standard / metric wrench set, a come-along and a tree with a big enough branch to hold the weight of the engine is all you need :)

for some reason I don't think a palm tree would work 8o

• X2 with Dave's replies. Also you can purchase a cheap automotive stethoscope that you can use to help isolate it a tad bit further. You will want to focus your search to around the bell housing if T/O bearing related.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Sounds like a stutter to me.

True story.

Had a flightline expeditor call in the following...

"We have a f-f-f-f-f-fi-fire"

So, as he continued to stutter, we dispatched the fire department to his general location.

Had no sooner hung up the phone when he finished his statement.

"b-b-b-b-bo-bottle sp-spot s-s-sixty two discharged.

With that in mind...

Perhaps we should wait til it finishes what it is trying to say.

Ch-ch-ch-check engine bay. :/

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• well, got in to ride home for work, and it made the noise for about 2 seconds and then stopped. I swear it sounds like a dry leaf scraping against a fan blade left the radio off for the ride home so I could really listen to it at every stop and I couldn't get it to do it again.

• Hopefully it was just something stuck in there and dragging. Good luck with it.

maybe thats it - just went out to the garage and started it, let it run in neutral clutch in and out all the gears clutch in all the way pressed and almost all the way pressed and no noise - everything sounds great

• Well that's good to hear...

Update:

rode the Sling into work today and tried to get it to make the noise again at every stop where I put the clutch in. All the way in nothing, no noise not until I pulled into my parking space. Sat there and let it idle and pushed the clutch in hard and held it in after about a minute the noise started again very slightly, This is only with the clutch pedal mashed all the way to the floor board, relax my foot just the slightest bit not even 1/8 of an inch and the noise stops - whet ever it is it only happens with full 100% pressure on the clutch - and listening to the sound, from the perspective of sitting in the driver seat, it seems to be coming through the hole in the floor board where the steering column goes through - I am beginning to wonder if the full pressure on the clutch line is causing it to flex and hit something - - whatever it is, it doesn't sound to me like its actually in the clutch housing or transmission - sounds more external than that - - - when I get more time in the next few days I am going to trace the clutch line and check all of the mounting points and make sure nothing is loose or rubbing - - - also want to check that opening on the transmission and make sure no debris is in there that could be rubbing things - - - should probably get one of the DDM covers :)

anyway - it doesnt sound like its anything major to me - I am not an expert on clutches, but at this point it seems more like a minor annoyance than a major problem worth worrying about

• Sounds like the throw out bearing. In my experience, the noise will get worse and you don't want to wait until it goes completely out.

In the old days, you could easily drop the transmission and replace it, but you can't drop the tranny from the sling, there is a welded bracket in the way and the engine/transmission were put in before the cockpit was.

Schedule a wrench day :)

• Sounds like the throw out bearing. In my experience, the noise will get worse and you don't want to wait until it goes completely out.

In the old days, you could easily drop the transmission and replace it, but you can't drop the tranny from the sling, there is a welded bracket in the way and the engine/transmission were put in before the cockpit was.

Schedule a wrench day :)

Would a throw out bearing only last 20,000 miles? - - - I have listened to a few youtube videos of bad throw out bearings and none of them sound anything even close to the sound I am getting -

A wrench day would mean an appointment with the dealer dont have the skills to do it myself

fortunately if this does turn out to be I do have the extended warranty