Ear plugs

• Just a lil discovery that we have made where when wearing our full faced helmets wind/road noise have automatically been muffled and we have had the intercom to converse or listen to the radio. Recently we have been experimenting with wearing half helmets, but this has introduced the issue of wind/road noise which has made conversation and listening to the radio with just the speakers difficult. Now this may sound counter intuitive to those not already aware of this, but we have started wearing ear plugs for the wind/road noise and wallah, by diminishing all of that background noise we have found that conversations are now easier and the radio is clearer at even highway speed.

Bill

• Foam insert plugs?
    I am trying this out today! =)

Having worked extensively in the music industry in the past, I would be hard pressed to think that foam insert plugs would be the best option. The issue with them is block all frequencies and distort sound. The best, but most expensive option, would be to get a set of ear plugs made for you by an audiologist. They will make a mold of your ear canal and then you can use interchangeable filters to select the amount of noise you want removed. I have a set and depending where I am at use different filters. -5db &-10db are great for noisy bars or sporting events, -15db would probably be great for accomplishing what the OP is doing, and -25db is good for large night clubs, and live concerts. The -25db would probably also work pretty well filtering out highway speed wind noise. The filters used in these ear plugs don't actually remove/block any frequencies, they just lower the volume. However, the cost is around $120 for a set the last time I checked.

The next best option would be what is being called "high fidelity ear plugs". You can find them for anywhere between $10-$30 a set and I think I've tried just about every set out there. While not as good as ear plugs from an audiologist, some of them out there do a pretty great job of filtering sound and not just blocking everything. I think the best option for the OPs scenario and also probably my favorite are the V Moda Faders. Of the 3 I mention these have the cleanest sound. They advertise a reduction of 12db which should be perfect for driving at just about any speed and still being able to have a conversation and hear music. They're also comfortable for long periods and come with 4 sizes of inserts to match to your ear canal. One of my other favorites is the Sure Fire EP4. Super comfortable to wear for extended amounts of time and fit comfortably under a full face helmet if you're wearing one. Filters out a lot of noise. They're great for concerts. Another I liked was the Etymotic ER20XS. Not as comfortable as the EP4s but I've worn them for entire concerts and they work well. They do not filter out as much sound as the EP4s which I like but the sound quality isn't as "clean".

Just for the record, I have no stake in the game with any of these companies and prefer my plugs made by my audiologist the best but it's hard to justify $120 on ear plugs unless you use them daily. You can find all of the high fidelity options I listed on amazon. I think I paid $20 for the V Moda.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

Edited 2 times, last by Kyle D ().

• Having worked extensively in the music industry in the past, I would be hard pressed to think that foam insert plugs would be the best option. The issue with them is block all frequencies and distort sound. The best, but most expensive option, would be to get a set of ear plugs made for you by an audiologist. They will make a mold of your ear canal and then you can use interchangeable filters to select the amount of noise you want removed. I have a set and depending where I am at use different filters. -5db &-10db are great for noisy bars or sporting events, -15db would probably be great for accomplishing what the OP is doing, and -25db is good for large night clubs, and live concerts. The -25db would probably also work pretty well filtering out highway speed wind noise. The filters used in these ear plugs don't actually remove/block any frequencies, they just lower the volume. However, the cost is around $120 for a set the last time I checked.

The next best option would be what is being called "high fidelity ear plugs". You can find them for anywhere between $10-$30 a set and I think I've tried just about every set out there. While not as good as ear plugs from an audiologist, some of them out there do a pretty great job of filtering sound and not just blocking everything. I think the best option for the OPs scenario and also probably my favorite are the V Moda Faders. Of the 3 I mention these have the cleanest sound. They advertise a reduction of 12db which should be perfect for driving at just about any speed and still being able to have a conversation and hear music. They're also comfortable for long periods and come with 4 sizes of inserts to match to your ear canal. One of my other favorites is the Sure Fire EP4. Super comfortable to wear for extended amounts of time. Filters out a lot of noise. They're great for concerts. Another I liked was the Etymotic ER20XS. Not as comfortable as the EP4s but I've worn them for entire concerts and they work well. They do not filter out as much sound as the EP4s which I like but the sound quality isn't as "clean".

Just for the record, I have no stake in the game with any of these companies and prefer my plugs made by my audiologist the best but it's hard to justify $120 on ear plugs unless you use them daily. You can find all of the high fidelity options I listed on amazon. I think I paid $20 for the V Moda.

2nd everything Kyle said. Your local guitar/music shop likely has a good selection and a sales guy that can help with selection, price, comfort, etc if you want to talk to a human vs just going in blind to the great big amazon world. I always wear a pair when driving and the difference is amazing.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• I'm trying out eargasm earplugs, but the jury is still out. They cut some of the noise, but still let in too much high frequency for my liking.

I tried those also. They were ok. But not $30 good. The Sure Fires I got for $14 I liked more and were more comfortable for extended periods of time. But no 2 ear canals are the same so what may be comfortable for me may not be for someone else.

• I’ve been using these for years....for sleeping and driving. I cut them in half.

https://www.amazon.com/Macks-P…ne-Earplugs/dp/B003LZQGN6

But I still can’t listen to the radio or have a conversation while driving...

Haven’t used my radio since I bought it....I don’t even know how to turn it on...or any other functions.

That’s why I can’t understand why everyone is upgrading and amplifying. You must be playing it for the public...

• Traveling 70-75 mph with ear plugs in the wind noise cancels out the exhaust noise.

My audiologist just informed me I have a significant hearing loss.

He also said they found a direct correlation between hearing loss and dementia....so to maybe avoid future dementia, protect your hearing...NOW.

Too much loud Music, steel mill noise, and hereditary....My sister had hearing aids and they told her nephew next step would be cochlear implants...

I never ride without my ear plugs...I keep spares in the glove box.

• I just received my 1st pair of V-Moda ear plugs and took the sling out tonight to test them out.

I am still running a mostly stock 2016 SS (with exception of hood vent) and took the sling up to about 90 mph tonight while having the radio on a 12 volume playing my tunes on the USB, and I could not believe how well I could hear the music and no wind in my ears!!

Thank you to everyone who recommended all the options - I must say I am happy with my $20 purchase!

~ Shadrac

.::. Knowledge, like air, is vital to life. Like air, no one should be denied it .::.

• [quote='FunCycle','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/7939-ear-plugs/&postID=275210#post275210']

I have never used ear plugs on a bike or the Slingshot!

[/quote]

I’ve run “EAR” brand plugs for years on my bikes. Just might have to try them in the Sling. The tire noise is pretty bad. I need to check the noise level next time out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• I just received my 1st pair of V-Moda ear plugs and took the sling out tonight to test them out.

I am still running a mostly stock 2016 SS (with exception of hood vent) and took the sling up to about 90 mph tonight while having the radio on a 12 volume playing my tunes on the USB, and I could not believe how well I could hear the music and no wind in my ears!!

Thank you to everyone who recommended all the options - I must say I am happy with my $20 purchase!

~ Shadrac

Those are my go to plugs when not wearing the set from my audiologist. Glad you also like them.