Helmet Laws by States

• I'm trying to find a current list of helmet laws by state for future rides so we don't get ticketed. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum......As far as helmet laws ;Google 'Helmet laws by states..

Me, I Don't wear one with the Slingshade i do wear a ball cap so as not to draw obvious attention.....But i do keep a cheep beanie type on the seat next to me...Just in case i get stoped and theres a question...

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• Welcome to the forum......As far as helmet laws ;Google 'Helmet laws by states..

Me, I Don't wear one with the Slingshade i do wear a ball cap so as not to draw obvious attention.....But i do keep a cheep beanie type on the seat next to me...Just in case i get stoped and theres a question...

Unfortunately, while returning from Homecoming yesterday we were intercepted by a TN county sheriffs deputy for head gear. Apparently, some staff lawyer for the HP had made the decision that an auto cycle must have full coach work surrounding the rider to be exempt from the helmet requirement.

This includes a roof, doors and windows all the way around. He showed me a xerox with a paragraph and about 6-8 pictures of acceptable 3 wheelers. Including an Elio and two Slings with roofs and closing doors.

He was very courteous and did not issue a citation. He also tended to agree with my evaluation that the position is wrong.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• IIRC, the TN law does state something along the lines of an enclosed cockpit. This leaves room for interpretation for tops that lack windows or doors to complete the enclosure. There are several threads on TDS about the distinction between an enclosed cockpit and a Top, with several references to the Tennessee situation. At least one TN resident is trying to fight the State Police interpretation. I assume the Legislature will need to clarify their intentions. See - https://www.slingshotforums.co…7/?q=TN+helmet+law&o=date

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Thanks for the pointer. I was able to get his lawyers name and phone. I’ll be joining the class tomorrow.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• Thanks for all the help. We have a slingshade top and in MS we do not have to have the motorcycle endorsement nor do we have to wear a helmet. We plan to travel to Texas and want to be sure about the laws in the states we pass through. Google has been no help as all the info I can find is outdated as the laws have constantly changed regarding the 'autocycle' we all love. Any residents in Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas have firsthand knowledge?

• In Texas, no helmet if you have $10k in medical insurance and are 18 or older. I have not been harassed here, nor in Arkansas, Tennessee (luckily), Mississippi, Alabama or North Carolina. I do not know all of the laws in those states, just carry a helmet with me.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/msb/documents/autocycleFAQs.pdf

• I'm trying to find a current list of helmet laws by state for future rides so we don't get ticketed. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

All helmet laws are subject to change tomorrow... the next day or next month or next year depending on what goofball from any state decides to change it whenever. They changed the law here in 2009 and now in 2019 there trying to change it again. Please feel free to wear a helmet all the time so someones dumbass law will get you pulled over and given a ticket for wearing a helmet. I prefer to take a trunk monkey with me where ever I go just in case.

• California yes to the SS helmet law but NO helmet needed for the Vanderhall hummm ?? Ball cap for the wife and I for a year now. No issues. Even had a friendly CHP help us when we had a flat tire. Never said a thing🙂

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• We were riding home from SS Homecoming yesterday through Memphis. I was doing 77 when I saw HeRSling falling way back. Slowed to 70 and saw LEO coming up behind me. Changed lanes and he drove right on by. Neither of us had helmets. I was relieved and hurried on to the AR border. :00008040:

Also, welcome Forensicgirl78 ! Be sure to take a look at http://www.slingshotownersgroup.com.

• Going home from homecoming through Georgia I got stuck in traffic a few times. Would have loved to take off the helmet when I was crawling along in the heat, but Georgia is hard and fast on helmet requirement for Autocycles and they have a large police presence on the highways.

• Going home from homecoming through Georgia I got stuck in traffic a few times. Would have loved to take off the helmet when I was crawling along in the heat, but Georgia is hard and fast on helmet requirement for Autocycles and they have a large police presence on the highways.

MACON county line - back in '76 went through there and as a Yankee boy on a crotch rocket Kz 1000 I tiptoed through there....

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Took a ride with the wife today. Stopped at a gas station on 411 S prior to taking the back roads to Tellico Plaines and Skyway. Had seen TN State Trooper going opposite direction as we pulled in. As I was getting gas this officer (State) approached me and told me he had seen me pull into gas station with no helmet and that state law required us to wear one. He was OK about it, said to ride without helmet would need top and doors on SS. No ticket or warning. He said that he didn't have a problem with no helmet as the SS looks like a sports car. But said it wasn't up to him so he wanted to let me know.

• Maybe I was just lucky but I didn't wear my helmet coming back from homecoming.

I ran I65 across Tennessee and saw several state troopers without any problems but I do have MeanSling Sport Top, no doors. I know one of them was setting,watching and had to clock me at least 8 over. Maybe he thought it was to hot to bother.