New Quadshot here...

• Dave@DDMWorks we can figure this out pretty easily if you have time, let's do a dyno run on mine before and after the trakhamr install.

that would be great if you can do it :thumbsup:

I always prefer real numbers more than just assumptions

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Anything that adds weight in a light vehicle such as the slingshot WILL affect performance. It might not be a big deal for those that not care about numbers but for those seeking mostly performance weight shaving is a big deal. There a difference between my SLR with a 315 tire and big wheel in the rear vs a rental i drove with a 265 and a 18” wheel. The rental accelerated better and you could feel the machine was more nimble overall. Same goes when you add an aftermarket top. The additional weight does make a difference in performance overall. The slingshot is susceptible to weight, by more than most people imagine.

• Anything that adds weight in a light vehicle such as the slingshot WILL affect performance. It might not be a big deal for those that not care about numbers but for those seeking mostly performance weight shaving is a big deal. There a difference between my SLR with a 315 tire and big wheel in the rear vs a rental i drove with a 265 and a 18” wheel. The rental accelerated better and you could feel the machine was more nimble overall. Same goes when you add an aftermarket top. The additional weight does make a difference in performance overall. The slingshot is susceptible to weight, by more than most people imagine.

9 times out of 10 I would agree...but if you can offset the weight with power and suspension...then it brings the dynamics back in line...or improves it based on what you are looking for. Most people are under the impression that the factory does it "right" and does the "best job"... if that were the case...aftermarket companies wouldn't exist and thrive.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

I would love to cut weight in my Slingshot and after looking at all of the options I could think of the most realistic thing I could come up with that would have a big impact would be if I put my own fat a$$ on a diet and lost about 15 to 20 pounds

• 9 times out of 10 I would agree...but if you can offset the weight with power and suspension...then it brings the dynamics back in line...or improves it based on what you are looking for. Most people are under the impression that the factory does it "right" and does the "best job"... if that were the case...aftermarket companies wouldn't exist and thrive.

the one huge advantage that a quad conversion is going to have is that it is much better equipped to get whatever power there is to the ground. The power to weight ratio of a stock slingshot is actually very good, at close to 1hp for every 10 pounds of weight it is in the same league as a 300 hp Porsche 718. The problem is that with only one wheel instead of doing 0-60 in 4.9 seconds like the Porsche the Slingshot will sit there and spin its tire trying to get traction

• Maybe a carbon fiber hood setup, but I can imagine that being expensive. Maybe with everyone cutting holds in their hoods for air flow, looks, maybe that's another motive.

Yup. Other ideas would be 18 inch 3 or 2 piece forged wheels, light 2 piece rotors + calipers, real CF hood, true CF full mirror assemblies. All aftermarket weight heavy equipment such as tops and audio equipment would have to go. Again this is all for the performance junkies. Most of us just want a balance.

• the one huge advantage that a quad conversion is going to have is that it is much better equipped to get whatever power there is to the ground. The power to weight ratio of a stock slingshot is actually very good, at close to 1hp for every 10 pounds of weight it is in the same league as a 300 hp Porsche 718. The problem is that with only one wheel instead of doing 0-60 in 4.9 seconds like the Porsche the Slingshot will sit there and spin its tire trying to get traction

I agree with this 100%. With the HP going up to close to 300 and the weight being around 1900... that gives it around a power to weight ration around 6.5/1...puts it in the category or Hellcat, Viper, Corvette and cars near the $100K range.

• I agree with this 100%. With the HP going up to close to 300 and the weight being around 1900... that gives it around a power to weight ration around 6.5/1...puts it in the category or Hellcat, Viper, Corvette and cars near the $100K range.

Yes that is until aerodynamics kicks in. At high speed roll races up to 130 mph vs (say) a Hellcat, the sling would have to fight against aerodynamics very hard the hellcat will most likely keep pulling and pulling. This is true for any car with an open cabin such as convertibles as well. If you roll race with your sunroof or windows fully open in a car you WILL have an effect in drag and performance, hence why most people roll their windows up.

If we are talking about road racing and 1/4mi drags, yes weight savings is crucial. However, I have yet to find a road racing track that will let a 3 wheeled slingshot run with cars or motorcycles. But in 1/2mi top speed runs, weight becomes less important but adding down force (essentially MORE weight) to stay planted does become more important so you can deliver the power to the ground efficiently. As far as tops go, most of the tops out there are not terribly heavy since they are made out of light weight tubing and canvas or plastic and poly but either way performance is going to be more affected by the additional drag created and not the actual weight of it. I would say that it is safe to say that the majority of this niche market is not concerned about shaving ounces and pounds though. Especially when you can just brute force your way through it with a turbo.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• and there in lies my problem lol. I am having trouble brute forcing $3,000 from my wallet for turbo. just cant do it. I don't take mine on the track and I don't get into any areas in the city or highways that allow me to hit any kind of top speed. Just cant justify it. not yet. . . . . .

• Yes that is until aerodynamics kicks in. At high speed roll races up to 130 mph vs (say) a Hellcat, the sling would have to fight against aerodynamics very hard the hellcat will most likely keep pulling and pulling. This is true for any car with an open cabin such as convertibles as well. If you roll race with your sunroof or windows fully open in a car you WILL have an effect in drag and performance, hence why most people roll their windows up.

I haven't had the opportunity to run against a hellcat yet. The 492 scat pack was pretty boring to run against. I walked away from him...but then again...I have never been in a situation where I would be racing over 130 MPH lol

• and there in lies my problem lol. I am having trouble brute forcing $3,000 from my wallet for turbo. just cant do it. I don't take mine on the track and I don't get into any areas in the city or highways that allow me to hit any kind of top speed. Just cant justify it. not yet. . . . . .

yet... ;)

• I haven't had the opportunity to run against a hellcat yet. The 492 scat pack was pretty boring to run against. I walked away from him...but then again...I have never been in a situation where I would be racing over 130 MPH lol

I got beat by a hellcat by almost half a second at 9psi in a 1/4mi last year and trapped 12.20. There was a hellcat consistently trapping 141-146 in the standing 1/2 this year. Based off those numbers, I may not get to the end faster but my trap speed was higher by 3mph. But it also took 22psi to do that. Maybe he was a shitty driver, maybe he had traction issues. No idea.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• I will be leaving my subwoofers and amps in my slingshot when running 1/2 to 1 mile.

I have waaaaay more horsepower and torque than I have the ability to stick to the asphalt. So even with my fat ass and all that stereo gear I'm still breaking loose at the 1/4 mile point. I can not give it full throttle till after 1/4 mile.

I'm sure it would be different if we were running for time. I would want to see just how quick I could move off the line.

• If we are talking about road racing and 1/4mi drags, yes weight savings is crucial. However, I have yet to find a road racing track that will let a 3 wheeled slingshot run with cars or motorcycles. But in 1/2mi top speed runs, weight becomes less important but adding down force (essentially MORE weight) to stay planted does become more important so you can deliver the power to the ground efficiently. As far as tops go, most of the tops out there are not terribly heavy since they are made out of light weight tubing and canvas or plastic and poly but either way performance is going to be more affected by the additional drag created and not the actual weight of it. I would say that it is safe to say that the majority of this niche market is not concerned about shaving ounces and pounds though. Especially when you can just brute force your way through it with a turbo.

I understand what you are saying and i agree. But while it is true that perhaps the majority of the market does not care at the moment for weight savings, we can also safely assume that most slingshot owners only want to have street fun and maybe engage in the friendly “street race” or two once in a while. We can assume that 90% of owners are not interested in 1/2 mile times or top speed record runs. In a scenario where most of us are deciding how to squeeze the most fun out of the machine for our inner child whether thru NA mods or ultimately a Turbo, weight shaving ideas cannot by any means be discounted. A lighter slingshot at the end of the day will handle better which ultimately leads to better handling and more fun. Yes you can “brute” force your way and slap a turbo and thats amazing but why not explore all the possibilities of actual weight shaving alternatives while we are at it?