ECU 2015 vs 2016 and later

• Anyone have details on the older vs newer ECU in the slingshots? What the differences are, etc?

From what I'm understanding, is that the 2016 and newer ones have a newer version of the operating system vs the 2015, but both can be run in either version, meaning, you can take a 2015 and put it in a 2019 and it will all work.

From looking at the OEM parts sites, they list the same part number though, just trying to dig in and find more info.

Thanks

• The actual hardware is the same between all years and an ECM from a 2015 can be plugged into a 2017 and started and vice/versa.

There are 3 different operating systems though in the hardware depending on the year of the Slingshot.

The ECM also does store information about the total hours on the engine, serial number and other information that can be used for diagnostics later. Some of the tunes out there delete this information and revert all operating systems to a 2015 tune and serial #1, from there the ECM should keep track of the hours since being flashed and other diagnostic information, other tunes keep the original information and serial number intact.

We swap ECM's pretty regularly here and even send out some with supercharger/turbo kits so guys can get up and running over the weekend while their ECM is in transit. The only thing when doing this that we have found is the first start after swapping ECM's will typically cause the engine to start and then die after a couple seconds. When you start the second time, the engine starts and runs fine, we believe it has to do with learned throttle values, but not really a big deal.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• Thanks Dave, always a wealth of knowledge.

Any issues from Polaris on swapping that ECU and the serial number not matching up?

I'm guessing that the tune you are using doesn't revert the operating system? Do you forsee any future issues with reverting the OS, perhaps for future updates from Polaris or compatibility issues with newer models?

Having the number of hours and serial number in my ECU is a really good reason for me to keep my ECU and not do a swap if I can keep from it.

• We all know how controlling Microsoft is. Things can be hidden and changed in updates. If Polaris is anything like that a dealer hooking you up to digital wrench could introduce an “update” that could change everything...what if it notices the factory parameters are off and it reverts them back to factory?

• We all know how controlling Microsoft is. Things can be hidden and changed in updates. If Polaris is anything like that a dealer hooking you up to digital wrench could introduce an “update” that could change everything...what if it notices the factory parameters are off and it reverts them back to factory?

So far, we have only seen the 3 calibrations from Polaris, no other updates, as it would create a new checksum which has not been seen on stock ECM's yet.

If you have one of our tunes and the dealer overwrites it, the ECM can just be sent back out to be flashed with the tune again. There is nothing that the dealer would notice unless they looked at the checksum data.

Not sure how dealers handle a Slingshot coming in with ECM serial #1 and no previous diagnostic data, probably not a big deal though, but Kyle D should be able answer how they are handling that with their tunes.

No issues that we have seen with swapping th ECU's. When we do that for customers, they send us back our ECM's after they get their stock one back from being tuned, so it is more of a short term thing not long term.

The tune from Bob keeps the original serial number and the diagnostic/hours information though.

I don't foresee any issues with the ECM having serial #1 and no previous diagnostic information before the flash, but that would be a great question that Kyle D should be able to answer.

There is a lot of neat information stored in the ECM, one of the things it logs is max RPM and how long has been spent in different RPM ranges. When looking at the data you can get a good sense as to how the customer is driving the vehicle.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• The GM / ECM (part # 12654117) has not changed 2015 to present models. Of course the tuning program installed I would assume - changes accordingly with each of the models upgrades and various engineering changes - such as the stock CAI upgrade on the SLR.

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• Just a question for those with Bob's tune. If you have a supercharger/maybe turbo? Does it seem like it runs way rich? I drove mine for 2 weeks and the whole back in was covered in soot.

Just a small town farmboy, handy with my hands and originally trained as a automotive technician. Lives in Swayzee Indiana.

• Just a question for those with Bob's tune. If you have a supercharger/maybe turbo? Does it seem like it runs way rich? I drove mine for 2 weeks and the whole back in was covered in soot.

How long ago did you get the boosted tune? There was a change on the tune.

:BLUESS:
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.
    ~Mark Twain~

• I bought it last year and the supercharger and tune were already done. I'm guessing that it was one of the earlier tunes. Being a 2015 and all hopped up.

Just a small town farmboy, handy with my hands and originally trained as a automotive technician. Lives in Swayzee Indiana.