Under-the-glovebox bass vs. behind-the-seat bass...

• I didn't want to give up my storage space for bass, so I got the Underground Audio under-the-glovebox enclosure with two JL Audio 6.5" Single 4-Ohm W3V3 Series Subwoofers and a JL MX301 Monoblock Class D Wide-Range Amplifier, 300 W x 1 at 2 / 160 W x 1 at 4 - 14.4V.

I knew the enclosure does not make for the best bass, but I hear almost none at all. Yes they are working and if I put my ear right up to them, you can hear it. It does add a little, but my cheap car stereo has more bass.

So I'm asking you audiophiles...

If I swap it out for the JL Audio Stealthbox Sub Enclosure with 10" Marine Subwoofer available on slingmods.com (here: https://www.slingmods.com/jl-a…laris-slingshot?vehicle=3) which will go behind the passenger seat in the storage area, will it be a HUGE improvement or just a small improvement?

No, I don't want to keep both. I want one or the other.

Thanks!!

• studiopeg have you checked for an output adjustment (volume control) for the bass on your amp? Perhaps it is set too low.

For the record, I keep my bass in the pond. I caught this one in a beaver trap and he spit out his lunch.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I am a big fan on higher sensitivity speakers, so if you can try some higher sensitivity speakers/subwoofers and return them if they don't prove louder for you, I'd recommend trying some more efficient speakers. Higher sensitivity speakers will produce a louder sound output for a given power output. I tend to use sensitivity and efficiency interchangeably even though though it is not technically accurate to do so. Here's a good comparison of sensitivity vs efficency - https://www.bassboss.com/sensitivity-vs-efficiency/. According to Crutchfield, your speakers have a rated sensitivity of 80.49 dB. The Polk Audio MM 652 Mobile Monitor Series are rated considerably higher at 93 dB, meaning they should produce a lot more sound volume at the same amplifier output compared to your JL speakers. Another way of looking at this is your JL speakers at 80.49 dB sensitivity should require 16x more power to produce the same volume output as the Polk Audio speakers (using info from the BassBoss link, above. One thing to consider - while I stated I prefer higher sensitivity speakers, JL Audio specifically states on their website - "Efficiency (1 W / 1 m) is not an accurate indicator of a subwoofer’s output capability and should not be used as a comparison to other subwoofers to determine which one is “louder”." Despite, their statement, I still prefer higher sensitivity speakers over less sensitive speakers. Here is a link to the JL website where they make the above statement - https://www.jlaudio.com/6w3v3-…3-subwoofer-drivers-92145 They also provide the recommended speaker enclosure volumes for both sealed and ported enclosures. As for the 10" sub you mentioned, generally speaking, larger speakers will always perform better than smaller speakers.

Speaker choices can be very subjective, so others may disagree with me. Sorry, if I have increased any confusion.

• Yes the bass setting is of course cranked. I had some of my club’s guy look at it yesterday. They both agreed there is some bass coming out but barely enough to hear. So the amp is working. I’m not an audio person, but perhaps the junk NavAtlas radio I have in there has something to do with it? It’s being replaced by a Kenwood next week.

• Yes the bass setting is of course cranked. I had some of my club’s guy look at it yesterday. They both agreed there is some bass coming out but barely enough to hear. So the amp is working. I’m not an audio person, but perhaps the junk NavAtlas radio I have in there has something to do with it? It’s being replaced by a Kenwood next week.

Subs are tricky to setup, you need to make sure your amp filtering is set right as well as the low pass frequency, it is not just about "cranking the gain up".

My setup is 2 6.5 JL on the roll hops , 2 6.5 CerwinVega on stock pods and the UA underbox with 2 JL subs, for amps I use Alpine MRV-M500 for the subs and MRV-F300/4 for the speakers and while I don't have rabtech level bass that will shake those around me , the music in the slingshot sounds very nice.

Nice enough where you can enjoy hiphop/r&b, does it produce bass that will rattle your teeth? no but it does complement my setup nicely.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Subs are tricky to setup, you need to make sure your amp filtering is set right as well as the low pass frequency, it is not just about "cranking the gain up".

My setup is 2 6.5 JL on the roll hops , 2 6.5 CerwinVega on stock pods and the UA underbox with 2 JL subs, for amps I use Alpine MRV-M500 for the subs and MRV-F300/4 for the speakers and while I don't have rabtech level bass that will shake those around me , the music in the slingshot sounds very nice.

Nice enough where you can enjoy hiphop/r&b, does it produce bass that will rattle your teeth? no but it does complement my setup nicely.

You dont need 12" subs when your at highway speeds anyway. I can feel them in my back but I cant hear the notes. The road and engine cancel the bass out at normal highway speeds.

You have 2 of my favorite all around amplifiers. They kick ass. I bet you have to dial them back a bit even with the good quality speakers you are running. They are both very energy efficient also.

I'm sure you cant sit in your slinshot and crank it way up without your ears itching....

• What I was trying to get at is that something must be wrong in her setup or poorly tuned because because we have the same subbox and same subs i think and she says her's doesn't produce bass while mine does.

Matter of fact planning to do the same setup this winter for my second sling, why reinvent the wheel when something works well and it fairly cheap to replicate.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• Just dropped the sling off with the audio guy who is going to install my Kenwood and figure out what's going on. He said somebody didn't' do something right I should be getting a lot more bass. ya.... His audio system is awesome. he'll figure it out.

• I don't have it back yet (probably tonight) but he tells me the subs are working and sounding pretty good now.

If anyone is interested in the head unit I've pulled out (free), let me know. It's a NavAtlas DXU1100DVR. There is currently nothing wrong with it, but the first one I had little by little the touchscreen areas stopped working. This one is the replacement.

It comes with two cameras that both work, although one of the camera cases has a broken mount point. It has a lot of options on it - even switches. It was originally very expensive. Just pay shipping.

• Yay!!! I have bass!!! And quite a bit!

He listed all the things they did wrong with installing and configuring it, and the list was long. I'm glad I didn't give up on it and ditch it for a storage pod, because it's all the bass I need. Sounds awesome!

• I don't have it back yet (probably tonight) but he tells me the subs are working and sounding pretty good now.

If anyone is interested in the head unit I've pulled out (free), let me know. It's a NavAtlas DXU1100DVR. There is currently nothing wrong with it, but the first one I had little by little the touchscreen areas stopped working. This one is the replacement.

It comes with two cameras that both work, although one of the camera cases has a broken mount point. It has a lot of options on it - even switches. It was originally very expensive. Just pay shipping.

Any taker for the head unit?