Anvils - what do you know?

• I have a 100 pound black smith anvil sitting in my garage that is from the ranch where my grandfather was born its probably well over 100 years old and other than being a bit rusty is in great shape - it was made in Sweden and its a Kohlswa

do any of you wonderful people know anything about something like this?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I know that roadrunners have an uncanny knack of not being hit by a falling one.

That's got to be pretty neat to have.

I have a couple of old fashioned irons, one from two lines of family and each are over 100 years old. One is a 6 lb and the other is a 7 lb

My dad used to use them as door stops, now I do the same :)

• I also have a large bell that was on the ranch and they rang it to announce my grandfathers birth. After He passed my mother had it in her backyard and now I have it in mine.

The anvil actually came to me in a funny way. Back in the 80's the DMV told my grandfather they wouldnt renew his drivers license, apparently they gave him a behind the wheel test and he frightened the hell out of the young lady doing the testing. He called my parents and told them if they would fly me up to the bay area to his house I could have his 1972 Mercury Montego MX Brougham with the 351 Cleveland engine. Damn thing looked virtually brand new and was very low miles so I jumped at the chance. Anyway I flew up to Oakland and took a cab over to his home in Orinda and spent the night so I could drive the car back down here to the desert the next day. So after a great nights sleep and a good, but short visit I get up in the morning and we head out to the garage and I get in the car and start the engine and just as I am getting ready to back out he tells me, pop the trunk, I almost forgot I have something I want you to have - - as I am sitting there in the driver seat suddenly the back of the car drops down about a foot and he shuts the trunk - - I asked him what the hell was that he says dont worry it just something I have been saving. - - - When I got home I opened the trunk and there was 100 pounds of solid steel - - - been hauling that that thing around from house to house ever since

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• Got a pic?

its a bit over 22 inches long and weighs 100 pounds

i-TvnpLHC-X2.jpg

• Anvils are measured by the "hundredweight" system. It should have three numbers on it, usually separated by a dot.

First number is hundredweights = 116 lbs.

Next number is quarter weights = 28 lbs.

Third number is pounds.

So an anvil marked 1 . 2 . 7 weighs:

116 + 28 + 7 = 151 lbs.

Older castings are worth more than modern ones. Prices range from $5 to $15 per pound and up. Casting marks, dates, etc increase the value.

I have a pal who is more into this than I am & might be able to tell you more. I understand that there is a brisk trade in anvils on Ebay (really!), but never offer "free shipping" :love:^^

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• actually I was reading about that last night and apparently many anvils made in Sweden were marked in pounds - other than "KOHLSWA SWEDEN" this has no other markings that I can find. my son in law and I put it on a scale this afternoon and it came in at exactly 100 pounds

as to the trade I do know that anvils like this are in high demand by knife makers - probably because of the popularity of the Forged in Fire show

• I have a 100 pound black smith anvil sitting in my garage that is from the ranch where my grandfather was born its probably well over 100 years old and other than being a bit rusty is in great shape - it was made in Sweden and its a Kohlswa

do any of you wonderful people know anything about something like this?

If it is stamped ACME...It's worth a few bucks.....:thumbsup:

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• I don't know about anvils, but I wonder if it's better to leave it as is or take some Scotch Brite to it and rub some oil on.

I just took a wire brush to see if I could find any other markings and I did find a star stamped in it and "made in Sweden" - the star seems to be a standard marking on Kohlswa anvils - - as to scotch bright and oil I dont think it would be a problem - I don't plan on selling it and even if I did the people who buy these things buy them to use them - some even grind the edges to angles and curves to help with the kind of work they are doing - - seems like having a good flat top is the important thing and in that regard this thing is great

just found this http://kohlswa.com

and I found a 59 pound Kohlswa on ebay for $795