Is it possible to change the belt drive to a chain?

• I am curious does anyone know if it's even feasible. The reason why I ask is I noticed that the belt makes a lot of noise that is most noticeable at slower speeds and I assume if it was a chain instead of a rubber belt it would be much quieter. To the motorcycle grease monkeys out there am I wrong with this assumption?

• It has been done in the past. It wasn't advantageous for the SS. I believe Billet Speed did so and posted about the experience on TDS.

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• I am curious does anyone know if it's even feasible. The reason why I ask is I noticed that the belt makes a lot of noise that is most noticeable at slower speeds and I assume if it was a chain instead of a rubber belt it would be much quieter. To the motorcycle grease monkeys out there am I wrong with this assumption?

Everyone switched to belts because they wear better and last longer and are practically maintenance free.

Most of the noise is coming from dirt on the belt.

To my knowledge there haven’t been too many people here that have changed a Worn out belt yet.

I have 15,000 miles and mine still is set like it was when I bought my SS. Still tracking as it’s supposed to.

I’m not sure how much noise the belt makes and how much the angle drive makes.

• neostar belt is always quieter than chain when done right, our angle drives(at least on early ss) whined a lot because of poor construction and loose tolerances.

The belt has also been proven to be almost indestructible, several people running over 600 HP and not a single belt failure yet almost everyone who switched to chain has switched back to belt either due to sproket/chain failure.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• All, great feedback. Interesting I knew the belt was just as strong as a chain but I thought the trade off to using it was more noise generation. 20 yrs ago when I was riding sport bikes I didn't notice the noise of the chain much but this belt especially at low speed/low gear really stands out. Oh well at least I know now that the noise generation isn't that bad all things considered.

• Belt noise can come from either dirty or loose. I had to adjust my belt at about 7K miles. Really simple to do, but need a 30mm socket to do it. Check for SamOwen's videos on YouTube.

Definitely will, I have seen his video on adjustment but not heard any commentary on noise.

• All, great feedback. Interesting I knew the belt was just as strong as a chain but I thought the trade off to using it was more noise generation. 20 yrs ago when I was riding sport bikes I didn't notice the noise of the chain much but this belt especially at low speed/low gear really stands out. Oh well at least I know now that the noise generation isn't that bad all things considered.

First chance you get drain your final drive. Refill with Royal Purple 75w140 gear oil.

Turn up the music just a little...

• In my humble opinion, the majority of the sound you hear from the rear end is the RA drive. It has strait cut gears Vs. hypoid/worm gears. Watch a F1 race on TV. You can hear the back end howling just like the SS. Same reason. After 30,000 miles it has reduced a bunch. If it bothers you that much may I recommend a rear exit exhaust and wear a 1/2 or F F helmet. 2 cents.

• In my humble opinion, the majority of the sound you hear from the rear end is the RA drive. It has strait cut gears Vs. hypoid/worm gears. Watch a F1 race on TV. You can hear the back end howling just like the SS. Same reason. After 30,000 miles it has reduced a bunch. If it bothers you that much may I recommend a rear exit exhaust and wear a 1/2 or F F helmet. 2 cents.

Yeah, I had already earmarked the dual-low pipe ceramic exhaust that slingmods has listed before I bought the vehicle. I knew this would be a must have both for putting the noise output in the back and for getting the fumes behind me. It's a beautiful design just a little nervous about the ground clearance where the exhausts poke out.

While I agree that most of the noise originates in the angle drive then resonates through the frame the gears in the drive are in fact hypoid and not "straight cut" ...

.... nerd-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......