New to the Community

• Hi everyone,

I’ve been stalking the slingshot forums for months now and keep coming back so I figured even though I don’t yet own one I might as well join. Little about me, my wife and I are both 31 and very active in the classic car culture here in the Midwest. I’m a shop teacher by trade and as you may have guessed it teach Auto shop among other things.

I have some classic vehicles but my main one that we use for cruising and events is a 1930 Chevy Sedan. We both love it to death but would like something that goes a little faster, is more reliable and we can take on some serious excursions. Now we don’t have the space to store more vehicles so we’re mulling over getting a slingshot and selling the old car. I’m here to learn the pros and cons of slingshots (a lot of which I have garnered from various threads) as well as make friends. I’ve found that any sort of community around machines be it cars, tractors or auto cycles is usually a good group of people. I look forward to learning about everyone and from everyone, and welcome any advice that may help us make the switch.

I am torn about leaving one type of adventure for another but I keep coming back to the slingshot, and I know those that have them are extremely happy. Just scared to make the change. :)

• Welcome to the Zoo PierceArrow ! You'll find a ton of info and many helpful folks here. Change can be intimidating but I have learned through the years to call your shot, make your move, and if it doesn't work out or isn't right for you, figure out the next right thing. Nothing is permanent.

That's a classic Chevy there - I'd love to have something like that in the stable! But if you do sell it for a Slingshot, and plan to trailer the Sling, you will need a wider trailer.

Keep us posted on your decision and if you're looking for encouragement, DO IT!

If not, disregard above...

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

Edited once, last by SlingLow ().

• Welcome to the forum. You could not have found a better place for the information you seek

I am probably one of the few people you will find that actually relies on the Slingshot as my daily driver, gave away my car the day I brought the slingshot home and I havent looked back. As far as reliability goes my slingshot as been just as reliable as the cars I have owned. only problem in over 2 years has been a dead battery. There have been several recalls, but none that have kept my slingshot off the road and all but one were taken care of in one visit to the dealer, (the other is still waiting). I happen to live in Palm Springs California, from a weather point of view if you dont mind heat it is probably one of the few places I would even attempt to have a slingshot as my daily driver, with something close to 350 days of sun a year riding in bad weather like rain is not usually a problem, Personally I kind of like it, but be warned at speed rain hurts :)

To be honest I am not sure I would recommend a slingshot to you if you are not going to have an alternate vehicle for use in bad weather. It works for me here in the desert, but I dont think I would like it much if I were in most other places.

Anyway, if you have any questions feel free to ask - if I cant answer I can guarantee that someone else here can

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• PierceArrow

Welcome to the forum, *love* your icon!

Don't listen to the whiners, cold weather is not a worry - especially if you grew up on snow mobiles! 🤠 As my dad used to say, there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear!

That said, I don't ever ride in the rain if I can help it - to each their own!

I have just added a Snailax heating/cooling ventilated seat pad b/c vinyl seats can be sweaty and clammy by turns - the SLR seats ARE very comfortable and supportive, just did a 1400 mile road trip over 2 days and didn't feel beat up after 11 hours in the saddle.

Enjoy the ride!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Oah man, everyone here is phenomenal! Thank you all so much for the warm welcome. Where to start....

I do have a daily drive a 2012 Chevy Volt, so I wouldn’t have to ride year round. I am very interested in it though now that you mention it. I only drive 1.2 miles to work, and it could be pretty fun. Those of you that have driven in snow how does it get around? I can handle the cold better than I do sweltering heat.🥵

As for a trailer I do have a 28ft beaver tail trailer. I helped a friend haul a classic fire truck on it, so I think the slingshot will fit. That was the biggest and scariest thing I’ve pry ever done, but that’s a story for another time.

For the most part it’s just my wife and I that would be using it and I would/could drive it everyday weather permitting. Any things you guys would recommend looking out for when going to look at used models?

Also (loaded question) what would you say are your essential mods? The mods that made the biggest difference for you, be it comfort, ride, performance, etc.

Thank you all for the warm welcome it’s much appreciated. I love my “extended” family in the classic car club and was afraid to leave that community but I’m finding out that there are really strong ties that run in Sling shot groups and I think that’s amazing!

• A lot of people say shocks/coilovers and seats. While I have upgraded my shocks, the stocks on my 2019 seemed pretty good for most roads and even my SO said they weren't bad for every day riding. It's not a luxury car, so it won't ride like that obviously, but to me they weren't bad.

The stock seats on the base 2019 are pretty comfortable, I haven't replaced those and even sitting in it 8 hours in a day, I didn't feel like I'd been beaten around like sports cars.

Convex mirrors do help, a good car cover (just posted a response to someone else about this, not suitable for trailering) and stay off of dirt roads if you can. Once the belt gets dirty, it makes a lot more noise and needs to be cleaned. Wire brush and then spray with dry graphite seems to work best for me. You'll find as many opinions on cleaning as you do people on here though :)

Upon advice found here, I like the Lucas brand cleaners, works very well.

I'm in Texas, it gets hot here, and I have a full time soft-top on mine. But top is a personal preference.

• PierceArrow

I don't know about driving a sling in the snow!

But as for mods, I would say just tweak suspension Coil Over Shocks and a sway bar first. Then you can work on increasing HP however you choose.

We have a great section with members builds lots of great ideas there.

Enjoy

Stay Safe

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I haven't driven an older 2015/2016 so I can't compare, but with all of the comments that it should be a first choice mod, I'm thinking that the later models have something upgraded there.

Mine does not sway that much, if at all, when I'm taking aggressive corners. I feel confident cornering with my stock sway.

• I haven't driven an older 2015/2016 so I can't compare, but with all of the comments that it should be a first choice mod, I'm thinking that the later models have something upgraded there.

Mine does not sway that much, if at all, when I'm taking aggressive corners. I feel confident cornering with my stock sway.

I would not call the sway bar an "essential" mod I felt that my stock 2016 handled very well and stayed very flat in the corners and I always felt very confident taking corners at fairly high speed. if I had never changed it I would still be very happy

Having said that the sway bar did make a very noticeable difference much more so that I expected. and corners that I took where it felt like I was pushing the limits now feel like I could push them even further when I take them at the same speed

now for "essential" mods I do think the coilovers need to be upgraded, especially if you are going to be riding allot, like I said above the slingshot is my daily driver and switching to the JRI Grand Touring coilovers made my rides much more comfortable the other thing I think could be called "essential" are the convex mirrors that go over the stock mirrors. I tried one of the small round stick ons and it helped, but the actual convex mirrors that slingmods and slingshotonly sell are worlds better.

there are many other mods things that are really enjoyable like the DDM short shifter, but as fun as they are I don't know that I could call them essential - the ride yes thats essential and the viability the mirrors give you yes essential

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Welcome PierceArrow to the Slingshot forum.

You will find it all here about the Slingshot.

Information, DIY's, aftermarket tips, thread derails, shots fired, humor. stories, bullshit...

I can't imagine you will find the Slingshot experience much different from that 1930 Chevy Sedan Ride...

People pointing, shouting, honking, taking pictures, questions about everything...

Hot in the summer, cold in the winter...

Rain would probably be different.

As for swapping one vehicle for another...

Maybe the Jay Leno route would be better for you. :POKESS:

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Lmfao!!!! Oah if only. if the Jay Leno route were an option, I don’t think I’d be teaching anymore that’s for sure! I hope so, that’s one of my favorite things driving an old car is the attention, so that’s something I don’t want to lose.

To be fair, I own a 1951 Ford truck, a 1951 Dodge truck, 1966 Mustang and the Chevy. I have owned a 26 model T, a 28 Buick ( which got me in an issue of Hemmings motor news) and a 1948 Chevy fleet line among the highlights. Another appeal of the slingshot as many have said is the reliability. We have friends in Ohio, North Carolina, Minnesota, Wisconsin, so driving something just as unique but with those traits appeals to me and my wife.

• [quote='PierceArrow','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/7837-new-to-the-community/&postID=271373#post271373']

Lmfao!!!! Oah if only. if the Jay Leno route were an option, I don’t think I’d be teaching anymore that’s for sure! I hope so, that’s one of my favorite things driving an old car is the attention, so that’s something I don’t want to lose.

To be fair, I own a 1951 Ford truck, a 1951 Dodge truck, 1966 Mustang and the Chevy. I have owned a 26 model T, a 28 Buick ( which got me in an issue of Hemmings motor news) and a 1948 Chevy fleet line among the highlights. Another appeal of the slingshot as many have said is the reliability. We have friends in Ohio, North Carolina, Minnesota, Wisconsin, so driving something just as unique but with those traits appeals to me and my wife.

[/quote]

From the sounds of it, you’ll fit right in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• LoL! I went exactly the opposite way!

Drove it stock for about 9 months, then I added a ZZP header, exhaust, and tune - about $1100 - wonderful performance boost. ZZP is a vendor here and Kyle D is a great guy - rock solid customer service and support after the sale.

I'll add the sway bar later, shocks last.

Why? Couldn't really see swapping out brand new shocks! I'll put some miles on 'em before swapping them out! (I'm a poor teacher, gotta pinch my pennies!)

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• LoL! I went exactly the opposite way!

Drove it stock for about 9 months, then I added a ZZP header, exhaust, and tune - about $1100 - wonderful performance boost. ZZP is a vendor here and Kyle D is a great guy - rock solid customer service and support after the sale.

I'll add the sway bar later, shocks last.

Why? Couldn't really see swapping out brand new shocks! I'll put some miles on 'em before swapping them out! (I'm a poor teacher, gotta pinch my pennies!)

You will fuss at yourself for not getting the shocks sooner