Won’t start. HELP

• Drove it all day Thursday and Friday. No issues either day. Thursday is started fine after sitting for 6 days. This morning (Saturday) would not start, just clicked. This is a 2018 with only 450 miles. Now, the battery has gone dead before after sitting a while, but I charged the battery and it was good to go. One time it did not start right after riding.

So, today’s project was to install an Optima battery-I thought timing could not be better. Did the swap and started fine, multiple times. Went for a ride to a friends house. No issues. Got back in to leave, and no start, just clicking. Initially all lights worked, after trying to start, no lights. I have a jump port in the engine bay. Hooked cables up to jump, lights and dash all come on. But no start, just clicking. Volts on dash show just under 13. Another fact, hooked the cables direct to the battery, nothing at all-no lights no clicking. Swapped a couple relays around, no change.

Don’t know where to turn.

Please help

• Check the connections at the battery and make sure they are clean and tight would be the first thing we would check here. Some of the Slingshots that come in for installs have loose battery connections and that will cause weird starting issues. Since you just installed the battery, that would be the first place we would be looking.

If you are hearing the "click" when pressing the start button, then the starter is trying to engage but does not have enough power to engage.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• Hard to troubleshoot from long distance...

Did you clean your battery connectors/clamps?

Check battery ground to frame...

Could be loose or knocked loose when you installed battery.

Shoot us back some feedback to this thread.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I did possibly make a mistake. Using the same ground bolt- that is also what the optima battery hold down uses. I currently have things in this order.- frame, bracket, ground wire, bolt.

What I may be hearing is I need to go frame, ground wire, bracket, bolt.

Yes?

• I did possibly make a mistake. Using the same ground bolt- that is also what the optima battery hold down uses. I currently have things in this order.- frame, bracket, ground wire, bolt.

What I may be hearing is I need to go frame, ground wire, bracket, bolt.

Yes?

Yes and do not use the battery hold down bolt for the ground.

• During starting attempts, rapid clicking is typically a sing of a bad battery or connection. Slow clicking is often associated with a bad starter solenoid.starter. Google "clicking during starting".

Of course, the best answer in the world doesn't do any good if it isn't submitted in a timely manner!;)

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• It WAS the ground. Thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction.

I can’t forget- “even though you think you did everything right, check it again” and “it’s almost always the last thing you messed with“

• I had written this early last evening, but for some reason I forgot to hit Reply!

During starting attempts, rapid clicking is typically a sing of a bad battery or connection. Slow clicking is often associated with a bad starter solenoid.starter. Google "clicking during starting".