Getting New SLR Tuesday

• Google all the Polaris dealerships along the way. Just in case. Frog tog rainsuit comes in a little pack can fit anywhere in the sling. Also slime sells a all in 1 flat tire kit compressor that hooks onto battery and tire slime. Just in case. Sunscreen sunscreen sunscreen. Remember you sit very low in the sling people don't see you keep a good space coushion and your head on a swivel. Post on here daily on the way back I'm sure you will pass a couple of slingers on the way home that will meet you for a meal or help if in a pinch.

• Ok, newby here picking up a 2019 SLR on Tuesday. I am going to be driving it back from Georgia to Colorado. I would appreciate any tips that might help make it a problem free drive.

Thanks

Yeah I just picked mine up on Friday, it was a 90 mile drive to Richmond from Norfolk and as luck would have it, I was dealing with flash flood warnings and torrential downpours on the way back. So yeah, have raingear ready. As I was driving back in the pouring rain (no roof) I kept thinking ppl are probably looking at me saying this guy is nuts! What they couldn't see in my full-face helmet was this huge smile and me going F-yeah! This is a friggin blast all the while getting soaking wet (I dressed very lightly for the occasion). Finally got home sopping wet and said to myself this is the greatest fun vehicle purchase I have ever made. I have bought a lot of cars and a sportbike over the years and this by far surpasses them all for sheer driving fun.

Of course you will be approached by strangers with tons of questions but what has really surprised me is the sincere interest I am getting from the older generations. I had a woman in her sixties walk by at the gas station and tell me batman must be jealous (my slinger is all black). The next day I had an elderly gentleman in his 70s who was crossing on a crosswalk at a strip mall turned and walk up to me and wouldn't let me go so I had to pull over and answer questions. He was a nice guy with sincere interest in the slinger but clearly it would be too much for him to drive I think.

I would not be surprised if the rumor of a paddle-shifter version turns out to be true for the 2020 model, it would be a more comfortable ride for the older generations and boost sales even further.

• Oil change on the road... A local friend uses the local Jiffy Lub …. Can't drive thru, so you pull in the out door and have the guys change the oil.. For warrantee reasons probably should do and oil change at the dealership when you get home.

Check with the used bike dealerships, my dealership owner friend assures me he can handle warranty issues (buys/sells used slingers at high-volume) and if that's not the case I really don't care because I am dealing with a 15 year-old motor design when it comes to engine issues. The only warranty issue I am concerned with is the nav system. Any engine issues I would rather have my trusted motorcycle dealership owner friend work on it than the nearby polaris one.

• Yeah I just picked mine up on Friday, it was a 90 mile drive to Richmond from Norfolk and as luck would have it, I was dealing with flash flood warnings and torrential downpours on the way back. So yeah, have raingear ready. As I was driving back in the pouring rain (no roof) I kept thinking ppl are probably looking at me saying this guy is nuts! What they couldn't see in my full-face helmet was this huge smile and me going F-yeah! This is a friggin blast all the while getting soaking wet (I dressed very lightly for the occasion). Finally got home sopping wet and said to myself this is the greatest fun vehicle purchase I have ever made. I have bought a lot of cars and a sportbike over the years and this by far surpasses them all for sheer driving fun.

Of course you will be approached by strangers with tons of questions but what has really surprised me is the sincere interest I am getting from the older generations. I had a woman in her sixties walk by at the gas station and tell me batman must be jealous (my slinger is all black). The next day I had an elderly gentleman in his 70s who was crossing on a crosswalk at a strip mall turned and walk up to me and wouldn't let me go so I had to pull over and answer questions. He was a nice guy with sincere interest in the slinger but clearly it would be too much for him to drive I think.

I would not be surprised if the rumor of a paddle-shifter version turns out to be true for the 2020 model, it would be a more comfortable ride for the older generations and boost sales even further.

I have to admit, I do like the paddle shifter on my Can-Am Spyder. The have been using it since 2010 or 2011. It also has a semi-auto trans. You have to shift up... 1-6 but it automatically downshifts as you slow down and is always in 1st when you stop.

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

Edited once, last by billythekidd ().

• billythekidd , flood levels in AR and OK have receded and very low chance of rain this week.

I have ridden in storms many times. Just dropped to 55-60 on the interstate and watched for potential water flowing across the road. It’s a little more stressful riding in the rain but I kind of like it. But I love challenges.

• I highly recommend this if yours has to stay outside (like mine) or if you're traveling in the wet stuff:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cover…3e130a:g:JAQAAOSwWxxatFuk

Thanks, but I do have a garage... my buddy says my Feng Shui is off because I have a 3 car garage and only two vehicle.. (Ford and Spyder) so I had to get the SS to get my feng shui going in the right direction....

When the going gets tough.... Downshift.

• Yeah I just picked mine up on Friday, it was a 90 mile drive to Richmond from Norfolk and as luck would have it, I was dealing with flash flood warnings and torrential downpours on the way back. So yeah, have raingear ready. As I was driving back in the pouring rain (no roof) I kept thinking ppl are probably looking at me saying this guy is nuts! What they couldn't see in my full-face helmet was this huge smile and me going F-yeah! This is a friggin blast all the while getting soaking wet (I dressed very lightly for the occasion). Finally got home sopping wet and said to myself this is the greatest fun vehicle purchase I have ever made. I have bought a lot of cars and a sportbike over the years and this by far surpasses them all for sheer driving fun.

I always offer rides.....

Gassing up yesterday a guy pulled in behind me and wanted to take a picture of it....I told him better yet...get in and I’ll take your picture.....he flipped out got in and was smiling ear to ear.. say cheese....

• Thanks for the hydroplaning advice... All new to me... on my Sypder it handles the rain pretty good, but does hydroplane as well.So when you are running on the interstate... and it rains do you drop off the interstate.. On the route you mentioned, how is the flooding. The only reason I am going home the way I am is due to the stuff I see on TV regarding the flooding. I normally never take an interstate to where I am going. I know a few years ago I was on my way to Kentucky Lake and the bridge had been damaged and I had to take the Ferry from Dorena, MO to Hickman, KY. They told me just two weeks earlier the road I was on was under 4 feet of water...

Hydroplaning - I had experienced several minor incidents where I felt the rear shift slightly, but several months ago I was on an Interstate coming back home from a ride and had already stopped at least once waiting for the rain to lessen. After finally getting back on the Interstate, I encountered more heavy rain, slowing my speed down to 40 mph and moved over one lane to the left of the right lane, hoping if something did happen, I'd have a little more recovery space. Shortly after doing so, with a car approaching a little ways behind me in the right lane I had just vacated, I suddenly felt my rear-end slide to the left placing me sideways across the 2 middle lanes. Fortunately, I managed to recover control w/o incident other than almost changing my pants' color and probably scaring the crap of the guy coming up on me in the right lane. I got off the Interstate and finished the trip home using the service road at an even slower speed until the rain lightened enough to get back on the Interstate. Two things I like about Texas highways are the use of turn-around lanes at intersections and the use of service roads in more heavily populated areas.

I loved riding Missouri/Arkansas 125 the 100+ miles from the AR side of the river/lake, but the two times I did it, I was on two wheels and didn't need to worry about getting on the ferry across the river/lake. 125 pretty much follows the ridge-lines and valley bottoms, so there is probably some chance of encountering some high water. If it's been raining or there is a strong threat of heavy rains, I'd definitely check with the Arkansas and Missouri State Police before leaving the relative safety of the Interstates. Boring though they may be, the Interstates are generally safer than secondary/tertiary roads during potential flood weather.

• Welcome! Hope your ride is a great one!

Buy these- no really- get these. You will be so glad you did. I don’t consider this a mod, I call it essential. 🙂

Have to disagree with my pal SoCal on the mirrors - my 2019 has convex mirrors standard for both passenger & driver's side. 😉 But if yours does not, upgrade immediately. Mine have the 'objects in mirror are closer than they appear' etched on em.

Also took US 49 and US 40 from Fayetteville to Little Rock area & back today. Interstate & nearby surface streets were fine - no standing water at all. Not that there aren't problem areas, but major routes seem to be fine.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• SoCal

I actually planned on this for my first mod... was surprised as hell to find I didn't need them! Manual said nothing about them, but they work great - visibility is excellent! I have no real blind spots unless I have someone directly behind & really riding my backside.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• SoCal

I actually planned on this for my first mod... was surprised as hell to find I didn't need them! Manual said nothing about them, but they work great - visibility is excellent! I have no real blind spots unless I have someone directly behind & really riding my backside.

Me too.... l just had to order mine 🙃

Nice to see Polaris caught on

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• Check with the used bike dealerships, my dealership owner friend assures me he can handle warranty issues (buys/sells used slingers at high-volume) and if that's not the case I really don't care because I am dealing with a 15 year-old motor design when it comes to engine issues. The only warranty issue I am concerned with is the nav system. Any engine issues I would rather have my trusted motorcycle dealership owner friend work on it than the nearby polaris one.

Since the motor is a Chevy motor and the brakes are car brakes and the transmission is a car transmission, no offense but a motorcycle mechanic unless he’s worked on chevys....isn’t going to be much good...