Stinger Roof and a thank you

• On the ride over to Maggie Valley, i was really warm and made the decision to break down and put a roof on. Seems to be a dozen or more roof options these days so I spent time talking to people and getting in and out of rides with roofs.

At 6’3”, I quickly realized the fixed cage / bar option wouldn’t do.

Decided on the Stinger roof as it flips up and I can get in and out easily. In hindsight, the newer Stingray design would have probably been a better choice as it is easy to slide the roof open or closed and can ride with the roof in the open position.

With the Stinger, you have to manually remover the tops and store them in the reverse position. Takes just a few minutes and not difficult

Overall the Stinger is a nice product. Some wobbling at higher highway speeds but solid overall. At 80 mph + the light bar on the center rail really whistles loudly though. Need to reposition and see if that helps.

The biggest issue I have is the amount of additional heat and exhaust fumes in the cabin. Was really unsafe and horrible. Wife and I had to stop and take the roof off.

I added baker air wings to the top and sides of the windshield- helped some but not the right / total fix.

I think the majority of the heat and exhaust is coming up through the cup holder hole - the back cup holder is removed to mount the support arm.

IMO, they need to provide some type of filler / cover with a rubber gasket for the cup holder opening with the kit.

I have the Welter duel rear exhaust and there is a joint in the pipe just under the cup holder. I clearly need to seal the joints better. I will also heat wrap or possibly ceramic coat the exhaust pipes.

For now, I stuffed a car wash sponge in the hole and that has helped significantly to block fumes and heat.

I do believe some exhaust is washing up and over the back deck from the duel exhausts outback.

So the roof fixed some heat and sun exposure issues but I created other issues to resolve ...and until I find a permanent fix, we can’t ride with the roof on.

Thank you av8ingtom for the Blantons. Very generous of you.

Thank you V-SHOT and your better half for having us over for dinner.

Rob the Slob - good to see you and I am praying for you.

Dave@DDMWorks Dave - appreciate you taking a few minutes to give a quick look at my suspension.

MEFIburn thanks for the updated tune - definitely a noticeable difference.

• Oddly... Your statement about "fixing one issue and getting another" is my story when it comes to Slingshot ownership. Seems like every time I do something, A different issue comes up.

I know for me the fumes weren't a huge issue since I have a side exhaust. From a lot of the forum threads, the fume issue is related to the welter and taller windshields. I know that at one point Welter actually had some kind of fix for it...I think it was running a small diffuser to change the air flow that comes in from behind and cyclones in to the cabin. It really shouldn't be coming up through the cup holder unless there is an exhaust lead somewhere.

Hope you get it fixed up...I know those irritations can lead to despising toys.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• Br4hm4 - The Welter trailer was very busy and was tough to talk with someone at MV. Would love to see if they have a fix for the fumes from duels out back.

I do believe I can benefit by sealing the joint that is just under the cup holders. At least for a piece of mind.

I just spoke to a local guy who will ceramic coat my pipes for a few hundred dollars.

I may just disassemble, get the pipes coated, put it all back together and see what fumes remain. Would be nice to cut down some of the heat too.

• Live-a-Little! I too battled the same issue. If your joints are leaking, get some sealer on those and that will help there. As to the fumes coming out the back, the biggest thing that solved for me was putting a high-flow cat on from Welter.

Fix your leaks first, if that doesn't solve it, ping me and let's talk. I have the high flow cat for sale (making major changes to my setup), it's for the 2.5" exhaust though and it was pretty pricey.