Rotrex size 100 pulley installed...what a difference!

• Dave@DDMWorks can you speak to how your latest tune(s) work with the Pedal Commander/Pedal Max products? When you talk about throttle body/pedal correlation it makes me wonder if one negates the need, or effectiveness of the other. Or,once you have the tune, does the Pedal Commander still work as advertised, speeding up the opening of the throttle body with the inherent benefits of both?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I know you didn't ask me but I feel compelled to give my opinion here. If you go boosted you will not want or need the pedal commander. The key to getting the most performance out of a boosted sling is smooth throttle control. Decreasing the amount of throttle movement is going to make it harder to control wheel spin. jes my .o2

On the drag bike pictured in my avatar the throttle is full off to full on in 1/4 turn. That's fine on a drag bike because if it gets outta shape bad enough that you have to lift the race is most likely over anyway but on something that is destine to break loose (usually on purpose) it would be a bad idea!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Thanks Ghost . I read back through Dave's post and realize that, as usual, he is talking about boosted Slings. I was interested in info on the N/A tune which I plan to get and the Pedal Commander which I bought and haven't installed yet. I didn't make that clear. I don't have plans to boost but hey, I didn't plan to buy the Pedal Commander or my last 3 or 4 firearms either. Stuff happens!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Thanks Ghost . I read back through Dave's post and realize that, as usual, he is talking about boosted Slings. I was interested in info on the N/A tune which I plan to get and the Pedal Commander which I bought and haven't installed yet. I didn't make that clear. I don't have plans to boost but hey, I didn't plan to buy the Pedal Commander or my last 3 or 4 firearms either. Stuff happens!

I have the Pedal Commander installed on my NA Sling. I do not like it at all, I think it is on Sports and set as low as it will go. When I remove it from Sling I, do not even know that I will install on Sling II. When you turn it up it is almost impossible to drive except on the track and I did even like it on the track day. It just makes the throttle control jerky-sensitive. IMHO it is a waste of money even for every day riding.

• Dave@DDMWorks can you speak to how your latest tune(s) work with the Pedal Commander/Pedal Max products? When you talk about throttle body/pedal correlation it makes me wonder if one negates the need, or effectiveness of the other. Or,once you have the tune, does the Pedal Commander still work as advertised, speeding up the opening of the throttle body with the inherent benefits of both?

The pedal commander and Pedalmax both kinda do the same thing, just in different ways, but basically they just skew the pedal position signal to the ECM and then the ECM opens the throttle based on the lookup table in the tune. Either of them are going to work with a turbo or supercharger, but since there is no power gained by installing either of those devices, I am not sure why you would want to do it on either boosted application. Like Ghost mentioned, for drag racing or something of the like, limited resolution of the throttle may work out to be faster, but when going around turns and trying to modulate the power a more linear power response with greater resolution offers the best way of controlling the power to the rear wheel. So, to hopefully answer your question, the pedal commander and pedalmax will both still work as advertised on one of our tuned ECM's, although since the throttle tables in our tunes are more linear, the response with the pedal commander and pedalmax should be more linear also.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• Well, I have had all the above mods on mine, 95mm pulley, cams, etc., and it’s about the perfect setup imo. The only issues I ever had it busting rear tire loose in lower gears when I didn’t want to....

now that I am running the 4 wheel setup, I can say for sure, the engine will now put you back in your seat in low gears! I can really appreciate the power my SS makes now, I now can use the power down low instead of just the last two gears!!!8)

Why buy one when you can have two at twice the price..... :evil:

• Actually,

US States do not have the legal ability to change a US vehicle's NHTSA certified VIN classification from the manufacturer. I checked into all the legal's on this when I did my quad kit last year.

Only the NHTSA can classify a vehicles' VIN.

Even if you wanted too... Good luck getting a Slingshot to pass all the NHTSA automobile safety requirements.. bumpers, airbags, windshield wipers, heater, crash ratings, etc...etc....

A 4 wheeled Slingshot is no different than a motorcycle with extra wheels for safety. They are everywhere.

A VIN classified Motorcycle (certificated by the NHTSA, as so, for the manufactor) could be modified by a owner to have dozens of wheels and even a 1980's style hut tub attached to the rear trunk area.... and its still a MOTORCYCLE.

Only saying. because I did all my homework on this.

Webby

• I did not do any home work ... just general knowledge. So thanks for clearing that up. I would think that it would be similar in Canada with some many autos/MCs going back and forth.

• Trust me wickedwebby, I'm NOT trying to sound like a smart ass, but just wondering. Can an insurance company deny any claim saying that with 4 wheels it doesn't fit THEIR description of a motorcycle? Similar to someone stretching the Slingshot to a 4 seater, can they deny coverage since they would potentially be exposed to 3 passengers as well as the driver? Since you've obviously done the research, it would be great to know if you ran into this.

Thanks

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Funinthesun,

No smart stuff assumed/taken.

I have run into some insurance folks (mainly independent broker agents) who want to hit your pocket hard because you added a wheel for stablilty/traction/safety etc....

Have shopped around and bypassed those leaches and have found big named, high quality, insurance direct at very fair prices.

Its all about who you deal with. Some insurance companies might drop you later, but could not deny coverage up to your limits. Remember, an insurance company will always charge you more if they can find a reason. They can't deny coverage after the fact (up to your limits). They can always drop you later or before if they choose.

WW

• In the States unless you ask to have the title changed it will stay Motorcycle.... kev check in on this...

DERAILING, THIS IS A TRAIN WRECK

wickedwebby IS absolutely correct EjFord the requirement to classify a vehicle for the purpose of creating the original title is a Federal one that requires all manufacturers of Motor Vehicles to do so in accordance with the specific requirements of the F.M.V.S.S. (Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards ) That classification on that original title follows that chassis from cradle to grave , also a Federal law requirement , No State, department can ever change the classification of a used motor vehicle because a personal owner bolted on a mod. Therefore the classification remains the same no matter how many times a used vehicle is sold or the Title transferred.. That is a Federal NHTSA, FMVSS requirement.

People get confused with the purpose of a Title , it is to establish legal ownership of a particular Serial numbered vehicle , This is done by attaching a FMVSS required Vin plate on the chassis of the motor vehicle when manufactured new under those FMVSS requirements. When A State LEO pulls over a vehicle , he may need to confirm the legal ownership of that vehicle and he does so by matching the VIN numbers on the title to the Vin Numbers on the vehicle. In the case of Slingshot it always remains 100 % clear to the Deputy, that vehicle he is looking at is still the one manufactured new as a slingshot as a Motorcycle but maybe registered as a Auto Cycle in most States. The title has served its purpose for him and identified the legal ownership of that particular vin numbered chassis

. And since there are no State laws that say a personal owner cannot bolt modifications onto his own property that may make it appear somewhat different than the original classification on the title, there is no offence for bolting on mods. The only State laws that even come close to this are ones that say , ""no person shall operate a Motor Vehicle that has had the original ,minimum safety equipment removed that was required when the vehicle was manufactured new under the applicable FMVSS requirements." For example , exhaust systems, mufflers, are a FMVSS requirement on all vehicles and you can be cited for a violation for operating a vehicle with one removed.. However, there are no State Laws that say you cannot add additional safety features to the minimum ones that the FMVSS required when the vehicle was created new.. This is the case of a Quad kit , you are only increasing the minimum braking power, suspension and handling requirements when you add a fourth wheel.

It is also interesting to note , there are only 13 sections of the few hundred sections long F,M.V,S,S that apply to Motorcycle manufacturing, and there are no Federal sections that apply to OR allow the manufacturing of an Autocycle. Therefore Polaris must always manufacture as a Motorcycle, And the Slingshot will always be stated as one on the FMVSS required Vin/ Data Plate The States that this vehicle did not match their definition of a motorcycle have passed legislation allowing this Motorcycle to be registered as an Autocycle , for the purpose of registration only, but it must always be manufactured as a motorcycle , a Federal FMVSS requirement. .So in the case of a Slingshot, which came first , the chicken or the egg, It is a Motorcycle, Irregardless of whether or not a particular State requires it to be Registered as an Auto Cycle, Because, all those State Autocycle Legislations still require it to be manufactured under the 13 motorcycle manufacturing requirements of the FMVSS.

It,s a motorcycle , Its a motorcycle, Its a motorcycle, in ALL States, It is only registered, not manufactured , as an Autocycle, in some States.

While Im rambling, on if anybody is interested, in many States, 13 and rising , though they now have Auto cycle Legislation, The Slingshot is still registered as a motorcycle there, as only fully enclosed cabins with operating doors and windows vehicles referred to as ELIO TYPE VEHICLES meet the definitions of Autocycles in those States . So just because you heard your State has passed Autocycle legislation does not mean it applies to future registration of Slingshots, you may be in one of the 13 and rising, States that created this legislation to allow for the registering of Elios, Appteras, and other three wheel cars. NOT Slingshots or CAN AM SYPDERS FOR THAT MATTER.