To those that have had the slingshade the longest...

• Here's a question for you, in the introduction video for the roof that came out last year the polaris rep stated the roof was designed to be easily removed in under 30 minutes. Do you know if anyone has tried this? The reason being that I would like to remove the roof for those perfect spring and fall days where the temps are just right and the sun is perfect with it's warmth so I can enjoy an open air experience for a change.

• That’s interesting neostar. That’s the thinnest fiberglass I’ve ever seen used. I have cut my hood and added screens and have cut or worked on other panels. Nothing else on the body is fiberglass. Odd that Polaris would have all the body done in plastic and not continue with it for the top. Will be in the plant in a week and a half. Will have to ask them why they chose a different material fo their top.

Well in my research in watching every friggin slingshot that exists on youtube I came across one that was talking about front wheel damage and how they luckily had stock wheels to address the issue. He did move the camera along the damaged/shorned front corner fender and I swear it looked like damage fiberglass to me but I could be fooling myself with the assumption since I haven't seen damaged fiberglass in a very long time. I lost track of the video.

• Well in my research in watching every friggin slingshot that exists on youtube I came across one that was talking about front wheel damage and how they luckily had stock wheels to address the issue. He did move the camera along the damaged/shorned front corner fender and I swear it looked like damage fiberglass to me but I could be fooling myself with the assumption since I haven't seen damaged fiberglass in a very long time. I lost track of the video.

I’ve had almost every panel off my 17 and my wife’s 15, they are all plastic.

• Here's a question for you, in the introduction video for the roof that came out last year the polaris rep stated the roof was designed to be easily removed in under 30 minutes. Do you know if anyone has tried this? The reason being that I would like to remove the roof for those perfect spring and fall days where the temps are just right and the sun is perfect with it's warmth so I can enjoy an open air experience for a change.

I would be surprised if you couldn't remove it in 15 minutes but to be honest once I installed mine I have never had the urge to remove it. I did remove the drivers side hatch/lid/door whatever you call it and attempted to shim it where the warped front corner wouldn't show up as bad. It's only two screws so that takes less than a minute. As I mentioned before, they cost at least 4 times what they should but who is going to build something of better quality, better looking, better functioning, at a comparable price? No one has yet!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Well in my research in watching every friggin slingshot that exists on youtube I came across one that was talking about front wheel damage and how they luckily had stock wheels to address the issue. He did move the camera along the damaged/shorned front corner fender and I swear it looked like damage fiberglass to me but I could be fooling myself with the assumption since I haven't seen damaged fiberglass in a very long time. I lost track of the video.

Fiber reinforced plastic that is used in the hood and fenders (under) regular plastic panels can have a fiberglass look when broken. This is due to the additional fibers put into the plastic much like laid fiberglass.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• That’s interesting neostar. That’s the thinnest fiberglass I’ve ever seen used. I have cut my hood and added screens and have cut or worked on other panels. Nothing else on the body is fiberglass. Odd that Polaris would have all the body done in plastic and not continue with it for the top. Will be in the plant in a week and a half. Will have to ask them why they chose a different material fo their top.

No real knowledge but my guess is the tops are a tier one supplied accessorie not actually manufactured be Polaris. For possible lower take rates it's cheaper to make fiberglass molds than very expensive injection molded tooling.

Just a guess

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Finally got to check out the slingshade at the dealership. Pretty sure the bar frame is fiberglass and the tops plastic. Overall very impressed with the strength of the bar frame. The gull wing tops are no where near as flimsy as what I was hearing from the haters. The only flaw I saw was that sometimes after opening and closing the roofs enough times they will seat out of place and give the appearance of being warped but once you put enough pressure they snap in place snugly.

Just a minor nuisance for me for that great look.

I got a chance to wear my full face helmet and at 6ft with an XL helmet there was less than a 1/4 inch gap between roof and helmet. This is disappointing and so was the lower than the horizon view of the roof lip looking forward but I could in time get use to it.

The problem is, it's just not worth the retail price, the dealership had the audacity to claim the black pearl slingshade was priced at $4k due to color. In any case I talked him down to $2k as a sweetner item for a nice looking SLR. The final price was irresistible, $27 K out the door for what I thought was a 2019 model only to find out later on it was a 2018 model. That ticked me off. But they didn't get me to come in for the SLR that got me to come in for a $23.7k SL before tags and taxes deal with the exact color (all black) I wanted. I know this was a great deal because the competing dealership I was going back and fourth with, threw in the towel and said they can't beat or match that.

Feels good getting my dream toy at $23k financed. Now all I need is to get the 305 sized wheel from a 3rd party modder and upgrade to the NAV system and I am all set. Eventually I will upgrade the steering wheel, pedals and shifter with aftermarket that will be a fraction of the cost of the sparco retail at the dealership.

And then I will be at an SLR equivalent for I am estimating an additional $1500 so basically an SLR-grade trim for a little over $25.2k excluding dealership purchase tax.

Lesson learned:

It definitely pays to visit used bike shops who specialize in modding slighshots for the enthusiast crowd. There is a lot of hidden value is those shops.

PS I hope to pick up a discounted shade down the road if they ever drop down to $2k. In the mean time, I am going to hang out with the local sling club and keep an eye out for a stinger roof in action. I am warming up to that one because of no side bars and a nice looking center spine with lights but I need to see it in person. Don't care for the other roofs, they just don't look right to me.

• PS I hope to pick up a discounted shade down the road if they ever drop down to $2k. In the mean time, I am going to hang out with the local sling club and keep an eye out for a stinger roof in action. I am warming up to that one because of no side bars and a nice looking center spine with lights but I need to see it in person. Don't care for the other roofs, they just don't look right to me.

I live in the South and I am of the opinion that any top is better than no top! If you want the best top for the dollar the meansling top is hard to beat but if you want the all around best top you know what you gotta do! LOL

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• neostar Congrats on your new Sling. You're gonna find that mods to slings are highly personal, HIGHLY. That's part of the fun of ownership. Living here in the South we find that a top is a necessity and the TD Gullwing is the perfect roof. For others, not so much. But that is part of the allure of the breed.

Make plans to attend the Homecoming in a couple of weeks and you will see what we mean. Variety is the spice of life.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• Congrats on the purchase!!! And of course, pics or it didn't happen!

There's a GTG in a couple weeks in Huntsville AL at the Polaris SS Factory, including factory tour! Hope to see you there! Look for the Homecoming threads.

I am on the east coast so no can do. I envy anyone that can do a meet and greet at the factory. I would love to talk to the engineers if they are available.

I will post a pic shortly. Man do I love this toy. I have owned electric cars for the past 5 years and I have a brand new 62kwh LEAF (0-60 in 7 secs) and swore I would never get a gas vehicle again but this was my exception. It is so worth it!

• I live in the South and I am of the opinion that any top is better than no top! If you want the best top for the dollar the meansling top is hard to beat but if you want the all around best top you know what you gotta do! LOL

I hear ya! Right now I am staying in motorcycle mode (topless). I will be wearing light cotton long sleeve shirts to protect against the sun. Interesting thing I just learned about Virginia law. An owner of the the canvas roof design told me that depending on roof design you are no longer required to wear a helmet. Apparently the assumption is that the bar roof structure offers enough protection (anyone with common sense knows that no slinger roof on the market really does this) to negate the helmet requirement. If that really is the case then it will be nice to not wear a helmet when I take short 3 mile trips to the park with my dogs, else I will always wear a DOT helmet.

• neostar Congrats on your new Sling. You're gonna find that mods to slings are highly personal, HIGHLY. That's part of the fun of ownership. Living here in the South we find that a top is a necessity and the TD Gullwing is the perfect roof. For others, not so much. But that is part of the allure of the breed.

Make plans to attend the Homecoming in a couple of weeks and you will see what we mean. Variety is the spice of life.

Oh yes I know exactly what you mean (seen a crap-ton of videos of large gatherings leading up to my buy). I was helping out my motorcycle dealer owner friend and ferried him to pick up a SLR in Hampton to have custom work done. Much to my surprise I pull into this cul-de-sac in a very nice neighborhood and four count'em four of the neighbors all had slingers. Obviously we did an inpromptu group photo of the vehicles. I will post that one shortly.

Sorry but I don't think I can attend gatherings outside a day's drive for me. I have obligations at home (single with pets).

• If the pets are doggo's - bring 'em! Everyone at Kerrville knows my Nugget. He likes to ride too. Just get a harness and cross tie him. There's a thread on here about that somewhere.

I have 3 dogs, 2 cats, a bird (conure) and fish. I'm also single, but do have roommates who cover while I'm gone.

• I hear ya! Right now I am staying in motorcycle mode (topless). I will be wearing light cotton long sleeve shirts to protect against the sun. Interesting thing I just learned about Virginia law. An owner of the the canvas roof design told me that depending on roof design you are no longer required to wear a helmet. Apparently the assumption is that the bar roof structure offers enough protection (anyone with common sense knows that no slinger roof on the market really does this) to negate the helmet requirement. If that really is the case then it will be nice to not wear a helmet when I take short 3 mile trips to the park with my dogs, else I will always wear a DOT helmet.

I live in Palm Springs ca and the slingshot is my daily driver, also I do ride without a top on the sling 95% of the time. One of the things I have found makes a big difference in comfort and also protection from the sun are white, long sleeve moisture wicking shirts. I bought 5 of these and on our 110 degree summer days they are fantastic - Amazon - Dri-Equip moisture wicking shirt

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• If the pets are doggo's - bring 'em! Everyone at Kerrville knows my Nugget. He likes to ride too. Just get a harness and cross tie him. There's a thread on here about that somewhere.

I have 3 dogs, 2 cats, a bird (conure) and fish. I'm also single, but do have roommates who cover while I'm gone.

Already did it, I found a solution at home depot for 10 bucks. 100lb strength sties clamped to the seat belt joint to their full harnesses. It gives them just enough wiggle room in the passenger seat and on my lap for the 15 lb terrier.

They are loving the joy rides. My jack russell starts whining after coming back from a ride just few minutes later. It's crazy, he is really addicted. He's a people dog that gets excited at stoplights when everyone is looking at him. I guess he thinks he's a rock star. My other dog is more chill about the experience but nonetheless craves more.

• Here is my proof of purchase :)

Gonna turn her into a modern take of the 1960s-style batmobile. Think orange stripe piping down the sides, wicked yellow/white led lights in the front. Hi quality batman logos in just the right places. Getting rid of the polaris hood emblem and moving down that batman logo. Going to be epic. I am sure there will be many batmobiles like her out on the road but this one will be mine :)

• Here is my proof of purchase :)

Gonna turn her into a modern take of the 1960s-style batmobile. Think orange stripe piping down the sides, wicked yellow/white led lights in the front. Hi quality batman logos in just the right places. Going to be epic.

if you are going for the 60's Batmobile look you might consider a double bubble windshield

2AAF3A4F00000578-0-image-a-48_1437365100014.jpg

• if you are going for the 60's Batmobile look you might consider a double bubble windshield

Great pic. I looked for a double bubble, don't like what's out there so far. I was also considering that triple exhaust out the the tail that hit the mod scene recently to mimic those pipes in the back of the car. Going to try to capture that nose and front look. Going to be tricky making it look just right and not too garish. Don't think I can pull off the siren on the top without looking too cheap and tacked on. But already neighborhood kids scream batmobile when I drive by. I even had a SUV mother of three slow down at the mall parking lot and get her kids to look out the window, pretty sure she was telling them, look kids there's the batmobile. Time will tell if I can make the look just right without bugging me that I went to far, heheh.

Oh and the beautiful 56" wing that is out on the market really keeps me from getting a roof. The wing looks so damn good standing out back all by itself.

Remember, we all say that the slinger is just a toy right? So why not make it my favorite toy of all time. I fell in love with the toy version of this car back in the seventies when I was 7. I was obsessed with it then and it looks like I am coming around full circle at this age :)

PS for me, the wing will have to do for mimicking the tailfins of the car. I really like how well it goes with the batman motiff. The tapered tail of the slinger is just a natural fit for a good wing.

• Great pic. I looked for a double bubble, don't like what's out there so far. I was also considering that triple exhaust out the the tail that hit the mod scene recently to mimic those pipes in the back of the car. Going to try to capture that nose and front look. Going to be tricky making it look just right and not too garish. Don't think I can pull off the siren on the top without looking too cheap and tacked on. But already neighborhood kids scream batmobile when I drive by. I even had a SUV mother of three slow down at the mall parking lot and get her kids to look out the window, pretty sure she was telling them, look kids there's the batmobile. Time will tell if I can make the look just right without bugging me that I went to far, heheh.

Oh and the beautiful 56" wing that is out on the market really keeps me from getting a roof. The wing looks so damn good standing out back all by itself.

But after all we all say that the slinger is just a toy right? So why not make it my favorite toy of all time. I fell in love with the toy version of this car back in the seventies when I was 7. I was obsessed with it then and I it looks like it's I am coming around full circle at this age :)

I just ordered the OEM Polaris double bubbles from Amazon - they are only $65 so I figured it was worth trying - here in the desert it gets very hot and I want the extra air in the cockpit - - I really like the Madstad double bubble but at $569 I figured I would try these first

Polaris OEM double bubble windshield