Guess that Automatic is coming......

• With a new powerplant and maintaining rear wheel drive why not an inline CVT Vs. customary inline auto-box?

Personally I like the set up they have now. To go to Front wheel drive would end up being a whole new vehicle. They could introduce a second line of SS's.

Do I hear logistics nightmare?

If you got one of the original Club Slingshot magazines, they actually talked about they originally planned on it being a front wheel drive vehicle. They even built one for testing. The driving dynamics of it were just too terrible though so they had to switch to the rear drive.

Considering this 2.4L GM Ecotec is also in other vehicles with automatics, it shouldn't be that hard to change over. But again, from what I'm told, it does put it over that magic weight limit as-is so they would have to do some other redesigning. But someone could do it themselves pretty easily after purchase.

• Easy is a relative term :) We'd need Dave or someone else that does these to chime in. Rab may even know the labor involved

Yeah, as I think about it, this automatic transmission/engine in other cars are all front wheel drive (Chevy Cruse, Buick Regal, etc). The Pontiac Solstice was the only one with rear drive (that I know of, but I could be wrong).

The automatic from the Solstice/Sky does bolt right up to the engine and the rear transmission mount mounts everything right in place. The driveshaft does have to be modified to work since the tail shaft on the automatic is a different length. From there you just need something to run the automatic transmission and a way to shift it. It is not that difficult to actually do, but as some people can tell you out there, it takes a little know how to make it work like a factory setup.

The automatic from the Solstice/Sky is the only rear wheel drive automatic transmission that I am aware of that is a direct bolt on to the 2.4L.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• With a new powerplant and maintaining rear wheel drive why not an inline CVT Vs. customary inline auto-box?

Personally I like the set up they have now. To go to Front wheel drive would end up being a whole new vehicle. They could introduce a second line of SS's.

Do I hear logistics nightmare?

The 2015 Polaris Slingshot survey posited the expansion of the Slingshot family to include more than one model and engine/transmission options, IIRC.

How about a V6 with an automatic???

Offering a V6 and automatic trans model, especially with a paddle-shifter for more shifting control might get me to buy a new model. With my Hahn Stage 2 turbo, the new models offer me nothing I really want/need. It would come down to how much I could get for my 2015 Slingshot either trade-in or private sale and how much my new monthly payments would end up being. Right now, if I were to win the lottery, I'd seriously look at an automatic transmission and possibly a Trakhamr 4-wheel conversion. I just can't shift as rapidly and smoothly as a modern automatic and the 4-wheel conversion would hopefully allow me more control so I don't just sit there, spinning my rear wheel(s).

• I had an automatic slingshot, but never again. I blew it up the first time out. I came to a red light and this dude in a crotch rocket was laughing at the slingshot having three wheels, so when the light tuned green I figured I'd show him. I put it into "L" for lose 'em, but he pulled out to a small lead. As I hit the red line, I shifted into "D" for DRAG. I pulled even with him and we were both doing about 75 miles an hour. I had enough of that, so I shifted once more. I threw it into "R" for RACE - man that transmission came apart all over the road. I never knew a transmission had so many small pieces inside - well they WERE inside before that last shift. I'll let Bill Martin and Rabtech have all the fun with their automatics, but a stick shift behind a good engine and clutch is all I need to go fast. 8)8)8)

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I think it is a great move for disabled people with prosthetics. My dad is an amputee of a leg who can drive automatics but not manual transmission.

You just changed my mind with that post. I am a strong five speed stick person however if you are disabled and it gets you in the wind I’m all for it !

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• The 2015 Polaris Slingshot survey posited the expansion of the Slingshot family to include more than one model and engine/transmission options, IIRC.

Offering a V6 and automatic trans model, especially with a paddle-shifter for more shifting control might get me to buy a new model. With my Hahn Stage 2 turbo, the new models offer me nothing I really want/need. It would come down to how much I could get for my 2015 Slingshot either trade-in or private sale and how much my new monthly payments would end up being. Right now, if I were to win the lottery, I'd seriously look at an automatic transmission and possibly a Trakhamr 4-wheel conversion. I just can't shift as rapidly and smoothly as a modern automatic and the 4-wheel conversion would hopefully allow me more control so I don't just sit there, spinning my rear wheel(s).

BKL A V6 crate engine and auto trans would be an easier way to go. Then you could really burn the rubber off that rear tire. Then get the 4 wheel conversion.

• You just changed my mind with that post. I am a strong five speed stick person however if you are disabled and it gets you in the wind I’m all for it !

I would think over half of the calls we get on doing automatic conversions are from disabled people that want to drive a Slingshot but can not operate a manual. The other vast majority is from Slingshot rental businesses that want to have an automatic as a rental for people that do not know how to operate a manual.