Check Engine code 520230

• While scrolling thru the center information display, I noticed the Check Engine and it gave a 520230 code. I called the dealer and they want me to bring it in and leave it. No idea how long.

The code is supposedly related to the power steering, HOWEVER, internet searches show it can also be for putting the key in Accessory mode before going to Start mode.

I was a bit put off that they offered no "loaner" of any kind, especially since I live 50 miles from the dealer and it will mean a two vehicle trip both times. Maybe I'm just used to getting loaners from car dealers.

What is your experience with the code and/or loaner vehicles?

• Cycle the start sequence about 4-5 times. Or you could just start it and drive a bit. Will probably go away. You can also disconnect the battery for about 10 min. That usually clears codes too but starting it and driving usually clears them and is a lot easier.

Also, welcome to the forum. Sorry you are having difficulties so early.

• I have no experience with clearing codes, but can tell you that when I got my slingshot I purchased an extended warranty and the only time I have been to my dealer I had to leave my slingshot for a week and the extended warranty did reimburse me for the rental car I needed during that time - if you got an extended warranty you might want to check and see if it provides for a rental car

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I got bad gas once and it kicked the O2 codes. Seafoam and the codes cleared and it ran fine. I realize seafoam is not your remedy but my codes cleared on their own and that was nine months ago.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• Cycle the start sequence about 4-5 times. Or you could just start it and drive a bit. Will probably go away. You can also disconnect the battery for about 10 min. That usually clears codes too but starting it and driving usually clears them and is a lot easier.

Also, welcome to the forum. Sorry you are having difficulties so early.

What dangerdarrell said

Had the same issue after adding engine mods and toying with the ignition back and forth

Took off driving and it just randomly kicked off and didn't have issues since.

• I just had an incident with the steering light.

The day I stopped to talk to the other slingshot owner I left my ignition key on for over 5 minutes.

When I started the SS the light came on and I had no power assist steering.

When I got home I restarted the SS and everything was back to normal.

Does your steering wheel jerk slightly when making a turn.

My steering rack was changed under warranty.

• I have had my steering seem Glitchy going on long rides like gears slightly to right or left always adjusting back and forth to,keep going straight down the road. Most dealers around me dumped them and now I'm forced to drive an hour into the next state and have to leave my ride to be checked out. I had a charging recall and on my second set of rear bearings in 11,000 miles. Drive belt howls like a $30. Hooker and I get told they make noise. Well I noticed the tire side of belt is shiny so I figured it's rubbing on the edge of the pulley making the pulley sing. I grabbed a black candle, no I'm not racist they were from Halloween. LOL and rubbed the inner edge of the belt and instantly gone!!! An old Harley mechanic told me they used to tell customers this when they first came out with belt drive so I figured I'd try it since 3 dealerships later and they cant fix it!! I also purchased an extended warranty to cover my ass. I also immediately after having second service done the engine light is on with this ghost code of 520230. I examined my slingshot after was given a break on the cost of the second service still coming to $220. I get it back and my ground wire is not connected where they installed the new fuse for the charging recall. My clutch fluid is below the low mark, and I pulled the air filter and it had tons of shit in it!!! I'm pretty sure this should have at least been blown off, and clutch Reservoir should have been topped off. They had my machine for over 3 weeks!!! I'm considering selling. Love the ride but they got to get their shit together!!

IC CANN Communication with EPAS.

Gauge/EPAS communication loss.

Electronic Power Assist Steering...

Probably explains the left right bump off center steering.

You didn't say what year unit you have...

2015/16 had a tech bulletin for ECU reflash for steering.

Not sure where this code points to...

Might check the electrical plug at the bottom of steering box.

If it's a steering sensor problem, you should be getting warning lights on the dash.

As for the drive belt, most mechanically inclined folks can align the belt.

Might look for a better dealer...

Easier said than done.

Let folks here know where you are located and maybe someone can recommend a good dealer.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I have had my steering seem Glitchy going on long rides like gears slightly to right or left always adjusting back and forth to,keep going straight down the road. Most dealers around me dumped them and now I'm forced to drive an hour into the next state and have to leave my ride to be checked out. I had a charging recall and on my second set of rear bearings in 11,000 miles. Drive belt howls like a $30. Hooker and I get told they make noise. Well I noticed the tire side of belt is shiny so I figured it's rubbing on the edge of the pulley making the pulley sing. I grabbed a black candle, no I'm not racist they were from Halloween. LOL and rubbed the inner edge of the belt and instantly gone!!! An old Harley mechanic told me they used to tell customers this when they first came out with belt drive so I figured I'd try it since 3 dealerships later and they cant fix it!! I also purchased an extended warranty to cover my ass. I also immediately after having second service done the engine light is on with this ghost code of 520230. I examined my slingshot after was given a break on the cost of the second service still coming to $220. I get it back and my ground wire is not connected where they installed the new fuse for the charging recall. My clutch fluid is below the low mark, and I pulled the air filter and it had tons of shit in it!!! I'm pretty sure this should have at least been blown off, and clutch Reservoir should have been topped off. They had my machine for over 3 weeks!!! I'm considering selling. Love the ride but they got to get their shit together!!

my steering rack was replaced under warranty

Can’t remember if it was a recall or not

since the slingshot is a relatively new vehicle and there aren’t that many on the road, there aren’t a ton of trained slingshot mechanics out there. My dealer won’t do any work if you just drive in. They want you to leave everything. So your choice is like most of us. You leave it for who knows how long or you learn how to fix it. Most of the SS is In the car mechanics realm. GM motor, car tranny, car wheels and brakes. You have access to every Polaris part. If it’s covered under warranty let them do it.

Loaner vehicle would be up to the dealer, good luck with that. Car dealers give loaners because they want you to find out how much of a piece of crap you’re driving do they can sell you a new one. Not because they love you.

• since the slingshot is a relatively new vehicle and there aren’t that many on the road, there aren’t a ton of trained slingshot mechanics out there. My dealer won’t do any work if you just drive in. They want you to leave everything. So your choice is like most of us. You leave it for who knows how long or you learn how to fix it. Most of the SS is In the car mechanics realm. GM motor, car tranny, car wheels and brakes. You have access to every Polaris part. If it’s covered under warranty let them do it.

Loaner vehicle would be up to the dealer, good luck with that. Car dealers give loaners because they want you to find out how much of a piece of crap you’re driving do they can sell you a new one. Not because they love you.

fortunately the extended warranty I got when I bought my slingshot covers a rental vehicle - I have only had to leave my slingshot at the dealer one time and it was there for exactly one week - after I got it back I mailed a claim off to the warranty company and in a few days I received a check reimbursing me for the car I had rented for that week - - it is not a polaris warranty, its one the dealer sold, but it has covered everything so far so I cant really complain

heck I had more problems with the factory warranty - that one time I took my sling in the dealer told me polaris said the warranty period had already expired - he said it was in the computer - it had only been 13 months since I bought my slingshot and its supposed to be a 2 year warranty the service guy agreed, but said there was nothing he could do - - he also said it didnt really matter because the extended warranty would cover the work

I could have fought it, but with the extended I didnt see the point - -

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies