Squeaking sound

• im getting a squeaking sound near the front passenger tire area every time I go over little bumps and what not...

Any ideas to correct this or possible problem area?

About to suit up and dump gallons of wd-40 over the engine and tires to correct the issue;)^^

It makes me cringe every time I hear it... any help would be seriously appreciated!

• Might be able to help you out...

Fairly common problem.

Go to the front of your Slingshot...

Lightly press up and down just behind the Polaris badge...

Got a squeak?

What to look for...

Center headlights, see those two inner screws marked? Yep, probably longer than they need to be.

Notice that big bulbous hump on the underside of the hood located under the badge?

Now slide around to the front of the hood and look into the centerlight opening...

Does your big bulbous have paint missing and shiny metal showing similiar to this?

Yep, mine started doing it again. Fixed it once but think I will use the grinder and knock an eighth inch off the screws.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Just a thought....

Does the hood need to be pushed slightly closer toward the windshield?

I moved my hood straight back slightly to make this area line up better.. the hood was sticking out too far to make a smooth looking fit...

• Just took an "around the block" drive after pushing down on the center headlights and pushing the hood a little more forward.

1hr later (who just drives around the block, 1 left turns into another, then a right, then you are just way away from the original starting point) the squeaking has seemed to stop, for now...

Thanks for the help airoutlaw and Bigdog !

• im getting a squeaking sound near the front passenger tire area every time I go over little bumps and what not...

If the squeak comes back, try wiggling the muffler when it's cold (it's on the firewall just behind the passenger wheel). Don't burn yourself on it.

It's held in place with springs and they can be the source of a squeak when you go over bumps or anything that causes flexing. There's metal on metal contact where the springs attach. A drop of oil on the hook ends of the spring(s) should help.

• Possible control arms ball joints? I had to replace mine and they were doing a very similar noise over bumps.

• Thanks all for the feedback, so far after pushing the hood towards the windshield (didn't seem to budge though...) the squeaking has stopped and has not returned since last Saturday. I do keep an ear open to listen to see if it is going to come back, but so far we are good to go.

I will say... It seems that my belt is rubbing in a certain spot. First off... The belt noise is very loud... Much louder than my 2016.5 SL...

When I am slow rolling (stop and go traffic) or slowing down to turn, you can hear and feel a certain section of the belt rub(?) and then it will go around the cycle and then rub again.

Any types on that would be greatly appreciated as that's the only "cringe worthy" thing getting to me at the moment.

• My 2016 SL makes the same slow roll sound (almost a small popping sound). The belt is tracking correctly on the inside portion of the pulley, but not so far over to have a rubbing issue there so that isn't the issue. Gonna try to give the belt a good cleaning over the weekend to see if that helps. Shop tech is talking to Polaris about it now and thinks they will tell him to open up the right angle drive to check it out as a solution since I have a pretty good gear whine issue going at speed in addition to the low speed sound you describe above, but still waiting on final word back from them on next step.

FB - North Alabama Polaris Slingshot Owners - (Huntsville)

• what do you all recommend to use for cleaning the belt?

I usually just use a bucket of soapy water and a scrub brush. I scrub between the belts teeth on both the top and the bottom between the back of the tub and the pulley, I then roll the slingshot back so that the parts of the belt that were either inside the tub or on the pulley are exposed and then I scrub top and bottom again. After I am sure I havent missed any parts of the belt I rinse it off and then I like to rub it down with Lucas slick mist tire shine or Lucas slick mist interior detailer

I like to clean the belt very regularly because I have found by doing this I have eliminated the horrible screeching belt noises.

I have also removed my belt guard just to make regular cleaning of the belt easier

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I have found that another source of front end squeaks and creeks can be the sway bar mount bushings. The stock bushings are a hard plastic and they do not have any ability to grease them. I replaced my sway bar mounts with the DDM mounts with the polyurethane bushings and the zerk fitting for greasing and things up front got much quieter

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies