Rear belt sprocket removal

• Has anyone pulled the rear sprocket? And if so are there any surprises when doing it? I would like to remove mine clean it up and paint it. Just wondering after the double nut removal is it straightforward and is there any belt alignment needed when done? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

Edited once, last by SoCal ().

• Shouldn't have to realign the belt, but the sprocket may give some grief coming off if they used Loctite in the splines. That was part of a recall when they switched to the double nut if I remember right.

• I believe Loctite 641 is used to seat the sprocket on the axle shaft. To remove mine, I slowly heated the sprocket with a giant heat gun while rotating the axle/sprocket slowly... Eventually, the 641 lets go and you can get the sprocket off. I rigged a large gear puller with pads to yank the sprocket off when the it got hot enough.

• Has anyone pulled the rear sprocket? And if so are there any surprises when doing it? I would like to remove mine clean it up and paint it. Just wondering after the double knot removal is it straightforward and is there any belt alignment needed when done? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated

Slingrazor --- got an answer for SoCal

• I believe Loctite 641 is used to seat the sprocket on the axle shaft. To remove mine, I slowly heated the sprocket with a giant heat gun while rotating the axle/sprocket slowly... Eventually, the 641 lets go and you can get the sprocket off. I rigged a large gear puller with pads to yank the sprocket off when the it got hot enough.

x2

• I have not had mine off since the swing arm recall, before that it was no problem to pull and grease the bearings. That was how I got 16,000 miles on the original bearings. I need to pull the axle now to grease before Maggie Valley, starting to get some strange tick's on the bearings now on the recall swing arm bearings.

• Removing the sprocket can either be simple or stupid, it matters how much green locktite was used and where they put it.

You basically jack up the rear of the sling, disconnect the lower shock mount, then lower the swingarm till the belt can be removed. (Easy part)

Next remove the nut.

Now the fun bit!

If the locktite was used all over the splines on the inside of the pulley, you will need to heat and use a 3 lever puller that can be used with an impact gun.

If they just put the locktite on the threaded area of the nut, the sprocket will come off easy.

The instructions for installing the pulley has you putting the locktite on the splines, dont do it! Just use it on the threaded area.

The final thing to remember is it takes a torque wrench you can get 250 foot pounds torque on.

I wouldnt shy away from doing it, just understand it might take some work.

PM me if you would like to talk about it, or if you have a issues.

• Hummmm glad I shouted out on this one! Great advice from all- thank you! Gunna look it all over and digest this in the AM. Was surprised how involved it is with the loctite, gear puller and doing the bearings makes sense too. 🙂

• Read my post right before yours. My service manual only refers to one nut....at 240 pounds......we now have two nuts....so is the 240 pound number still correct? it might make a difference...

• gearhead I believe Loctite 641 is used to seat the sprocket on the axle shaft. To remove mine, I slowly heated the sprocket with a giant heat gun while rotating the axle/sprocket slowly... Eventually, the 641 lets go and you can get the sprocket off. I rigged a large gear puller with pads to yank the sprocket off when the it got hot enough.

gearhead - What year SS do you have? Was the puller really needed or would you be able to tap it off with a sand mallet ?

• I have not had mine off since the swing arm recall, before that it was no problem to pull and grease the bearings. That was how I got 16,000 miles on the original bearings. I need to pull the axle now to grease before Maggie Valley, starting to get some strange tick's on the bearings now on the recall swing arm bearings.

I had the swing arm recall done as well like most. You mentioned the bearings that you greased. I would assume this was done at the recall... would you do again?

• I have a 2015 service manual that had he single nut specs...

Shouldn’t the newer manuals have the specs for double nuts? Under Final drive service section 6.35.....your pages may vary but only slightly...

Very odd....the drawing shows 2 nuts and the picture key only says one required....talk about not knowing what’s going on....

• gearhead I believe Loctite 641 is used to seat the sprocket on the axle shaft. To remove mine, I slowly heated the sprocket with a giant heat gun while rotating the axle/sprocket slowly... Eventually, the 641 lets go and you can get the sprocket off. I rigged a large gear puller with pads to yank the sprocket off when the it got hot enough.

gearhead - What year SS do you have? Was the puller really needed or would you be able to tap it off with a sand mallet ?

you could but your putting shock and offset blows to the bearings. The puller keeps a steady even pull and no shock.

Edited once, last by gooseman: Fat fingers and fingers faster than brain ().