Oil and filter

• Here is a prior post on another forum from Dave at DDM:

You can use any filter for a 2006-2009 Pontiac Solstice - Here is a list of ones that will cross -

Buick PF457G

Champ Labs. P3244

Chevrolet 19260345

Chevrolet PF457G

GMC PF457G

Mann-Hummel HU692

Mann-Hummel HU692X

Mann-Hummel ML1015

Polaris 12605565

Purolator L15386

Purolator L15436

WIX 57082

K&N PS-7000

GM 12605566

ACDelco PF457G

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• Just use a K&N PS7000. We use Mobile 1 5W30 full syn in all of our builds. And because you asked the AC Delco part number is 19168267. Didn't want to ignore the original question.

https://zzperformance.com/products/k-n-oil-filter

If you want the AC Delco you can find that here https://zzperformance.com/products/acdelco-oil-filter

We also sell the oil here https://zzperformance.com/products/mobil-1-synthetic-5w-30

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• I'm probably not the best guy to answer that. Mine is usually changed after each 1/2mi event or whenever we need to R&D something and the engine comes apart so the oil gets changed 3-5 times a year and I have under 6000 miles on mine since new in 2015. But under normal circumstances (like 6-9psi of boost on 91-93 octane) every 5000 miles is fine. If you're running E85 or any blend of fuels I would go every 3000 miles.

• If it was done normally for my specific setup, I would go every 3000 miles but I run 26psi and different blends of fuels in mine. Mine also goes to 3-5 events a year where it gets the snot beat out of it more than it usually does and we are always doing product development on mine so the oil ends up getting changed 3-5 times a year and I probably put 1000 miles or less on a year. So you have to take mine out of the equation because it is not normal at all.

For anyone else, assuming you are running 6-9psi of boost in your turbo set up and using 91-93 octane fuel I would say every 5000 miles is fine using Mobile 1.

• If it was done normally for my specific setup, I would go every 3000 miles but I run 26psi and different blends of fuels in mine. Mine also goes to 3-5 events a year where it gets the snot beat out of it more than it usually does and we are always doing product development on mine so the oil ends up getting changed 3-5 times a year and I probably put 1000 miles or less on a year. So you have to take mine out of the equation because it is not normal at all.

For anyone else, assuming you are running 6-9psi of boost in your turbo set up and using 91-93 octane fuel I would say every 5000 miles is fine using Mobile 1.

Kyle so you recommend mobil 1 for your turbo setup? the reason I ask is that up until vendors have been shying away from mobil 1 for turbo/SC because its low Zinc count on their new formula vs other oils.

We even had a vendor go as far as actively tell people that mobil 1 was NOT to be used and that they should use either Rotella T6(their preferred choice) or Valvoline VR1.

I believe Dave from DDM recommends Valvoline VR1 racing oil with their turbos, also on WRX/ Impreza forums mobil 1 is known as the engine killer( forums scuttlebutt so take it with a huge grain of salt).

PS. I personally use Mobil 1(recently switched to EP version since it is only 2 more at walmart) on all my vehicles except my 911 which uses something else based on recommendations from rennlist forums, so don't take my comments as me saying/implying mobil 1 is bad ,I am just a bit surprised at it being recommended for boosted applications.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I'm sure others will disagree with me, but I base my oil choice on https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/. It's a very long read, but I chose his #9-rated oil described here -

"9. 5W30 Valvoline Full Synthetic High Mileage with MaxLife Technology, API SN, GM dexos 1 approved (silver bottle) = 123,470 psi

Valvoline had a chart on their Website showing that this is their best oil for fuel economy and Horsepower. They also said this oil provided more anti-wear film strength than 5W30 Mobil 1, which is what I also found in my testing.

High Mileage oils are formulated for older engines with over 75,000 miles on them. And High Mileage oils include “Seal Swell” chemicals to help reduce oil leakage in those older engines.

zinc = TBD

phos = TBD

moly = TBD

This oil was tested in Spring 2017.

The psi value of this oil, which came from testing it at the normal operating test temperature of 230*F, put it in the FANTASTIC Wear Protection Category.

However, I also went on to also test this oil at the much higher temperature of 275*F. At that elevated temperature, any hotter and thinner oil is expected to experience a drop in Wear Protection Capability. And this oil did have a significant 27% drop in capability. At that reduced value down to 89,862 psi, this much hotter and thinner oil dropped down to the top of the GOOD Wear Protection Category range. You can avoid such a drop in capability by keeping the oil at a more reasonable cooler temperature.

I also tested this oil to find out its onset of thermal breakdown, which was 285*F."

He rates oil based primarily on their film strength/load carrying capability/shear resistancei in psi with the top-rated oils all scoring over 120,000 psi for their film strength/load carrying capacity/shear resistanc. I don't yet need a high mileage oil, but I used this oil when I first went turbo at just over 36,000 miles on my Slingshot. I've now got over 49,000 miles on it. The oil still looked good after almost 4000 miles for my first oil change post-turbo and it hasn't looked too dirty after 5000 miles, so I'm staying at the standard 5000 miles oil change interval. I prefer to use K&N oil filters, but have used the GM oil filter if I can't find the K&N PS-7000.

You should be able to use any of the major oil brand synthetics. I just liked how the Valvoline High Mileage rated in 540 rat's testing and it's easy availability.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I've been running Castrol full synthetic in all of my vehicles for 20+ years. My SS has it as well. However, I'll gladly change if one of the turbo manufacturers suggest something different.

The two that Neosolidus mentioned earlier are not available at my local walmart, and I didn't see them readily available on Amazon either, but I didn't dig real deep on them.

• Earlier in the ss life there were several engine failure (all turbo except 2 supercharger that I know off).

And at least one of the vendors used to attribute 50% of the fault on m1.

Personally I think that 100% of failure were due to either design mistake or operator error but easier to blame oil.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

Edited once, last by Neosolidus ().

• I'm simply stating what we use and recommend here at ZZP. I'm not going to debate which oil is the best. There are a lot of good options out there and everyone has their go to that they like and trust. We've been in business since 2000 and hold more power and speed records in the Ecotec market than anyone else and are literally the worlds largest supplier of performance products for the Ecotec market. We use Mobile 1 in all of our builds including our 898whp Cobalt and nobody has ever come even remotely close to making power numbers as high as we have. Not even within 275whp. We have never had any sort of failure directly due to the oil. We are clearly doing something right over here and I would not recommend a product like oil that does not have a proven track record.

• I've been running Castrol full synthetic in all of my vehicles for 20+ years. My SS has it as well. However, I'll gladly change if one of the turbo manufacturers suggest something different.

The two that Neosolidus mentioned earlier are not available at my local walmart, and I didn't see them readily available on Amazon either, but I didn't dig real deep on them.

Same here, Royal Purple got to expensive

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• How often do you change yours using Mobile 1 and running a turbo?

Back when I installed my Hahn turbo kit, IIRC, most folks were running around 2500 miles between oil changes. Personally, as long as the oil still looks good, I think you can go longer as long as you remember to allow several miles of non-turbo driving before shutting down after a ride. The non-turbo time gives the turbo a chance to cool down and reduces the chances of a hot turbo "cooking" the oil remaining in the turbo. If you have a water-cooled turbo, cool down time shouldn't be as important, but allowing the turbo to cool while oil or water is still circulating thru it is a good idea.