• Walmart has

Mobile One

Mobile One Extended Performance 15,000 mile

Mobil One Annual Protection

these are all full synthetic and all are available in 5-30

I have always just grabbed the normal Mobil One when it comes time to change the oil - is there any reason why one of the others would be a better choice - they are all right around the same price plus or minus so I figured why not ask. I would still change my oil every 5,000 miles or less so I dont care about lasting 15,000 or 20,000 miles, but if one offers better protection than the others I would like to know

Thanks

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I've always sworn by straight-up Mobile One. In the last say 10 years I've had a high-revving V8 (Audi S4 cab),; two FI vehicles (BMW 335i cab, twin-turbo V6, and Audi Q5 2.0T); and a Porsche 911S cab NA 3.8L flat six with minimal issues re: drivetrain, pistons, rings, etc.

• The extended performance is normally just $2 more so I always grab that.

Some time ago(in this forum actually) someone explained how due to poor regulation the simple mobil one sold in the US is not a true full synthetic while the EP is since that is the same formula used in standard mobil one in Europe.

I don't buy it for the 15k miles that they alleged , I change all my fluid at 3k or less but the fact that it is just $2 difference for a better oil let's me sleep better at night.

(Knock on wood) Using that mentality has paid off since I have never had engine trouble and my internals seem to remain clean with no sludge.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I have always just grabbed the normal Mobil One when it comes time to change the oil - is there any reason why one of the others would be a better choice - they are all right around the same price plus or minus so I figured why not ask. I would still change my oil every 5,000 miles or less so I dont care about lasting 15,000 or 20,000 miles, but if one offers better protection than the others I would like to know

Thanks

I want to see this data! :/

I came from the old school of thought of changing the oil every 3,000 miles, but with today's synthetic oils, it is my opinion that it is a total waste of money any more changing oil at any less than 10,000 miles. A single example is our 2001 VW Jetta TDI, where everybody knows how quickly a diesels oil gets dirty, and how touchy turbochargers can be, with changing the Mobil 1 every 10,000 miles it now is coming up on 400,000 miles. I recently just replaced the valve cover and it all looked like brand new underneath. It wouldn't take much motivation to get me to extend that to 15,000 or even 20,000 miles.

Bill

• My elder brother just retired after 48 years as a Ford mechanic. He's torn into more automotive engines than anyone I know. Asked him about that on a recent visit, he says Mobile One & filter change every 3K.

At $50 a change, this comes to less than $0.02 per mile. As my brother says, seriously cheap insurance compared with engine work.

For my 2 cents, that's good advice.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• The good stuff my last a little longer, but when we take to change the oil (or in my case take it into the shop for service) we take the time to inspect every thing. Doing that can prevent problems. Years ago when I was flying every time before we got into the airplane we check out everything on the out side and than did a full check from the inside. In our cars today we just get in and GO...…...

• For $28 you can get an oil analysis from Blackstone Laboratories and know exactly how your oil is holding up and if any high amounts causing wear to your engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Hummm...yet another oil thread. 😄

Just my dos centavos, aqui. I’ve been using Mobile 1 in all my vehicles since the mid 80s. Change oil and filter at about 10k. It has gone into four pick-ups, six sedans and four motorcycles.

Purchased a very used PT Cruiser five years ago. Lord knows what it’s history was (93,000 mi when I bought it). Lunched the motor within 2,000 miles 🤨. Burned valve.

The Sling has had nothing but M1 and will continue with the same treatment. Change the oil in everything at 10,000. Will continue to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• With full synthetic oils, I've always changed my vehicles at 10k. My truck asks for every 7500 per the manual. Our nissan cars say 10k anyway.

I plan to do my SS at 5k, per the manual, with the full synthetic. Mainly because of the planned turbo install, and I'm not exactly easy on the motor, lead foot and all in it.

I've always felt that the service stations pushing the 3k oil changes were at their best interest and not necessarily ours and it being a bit of a waste.

I may do that analysis on the oil. Our cars have 56k and 85k respectively and my truck has 55k miles on them. Would be curious how they are holding up.

• [quote='wokka','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/7701-mobile-one/&postID=268023#post268023']

With full synthetic oils, I've always changed my vehicles at 10k. My truck asks for every 7500 per the manual. Our nissan cars say 10k anyway.

I plan to do my SS at 5k, per the manual, with the full synthetic. Mainly because of the planned turbo install, and I'm not exactly easy on the motor, lead foot and all in it.

I've always felt that the service stations pushing the 3k oil changes were at their best interest and not necessarily ours and it being a bit of a waste.

I may do that analysis on the oil. Our cars have 56k and 85k respectively and my truck has 55k miles on them. Would be curious how they are holding up.

[/quote]

I use to run a Blackstone on my Nomad with every change. 50k+ and no significant wear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• well, I am doing my first oil change this morning since I installed the Fumoto valve and I can report that it is very easy and very clean in that there is no oil splashing or getting on the frame, I am very happy

I can also confirm that with the fumoto it takes a very long time for all of the oil to drain out, close to an hour I would guess. Not a big deal, it isnt a race and I have relaxed had some coffee and lubed my sway bar bushings.

Oh an just for kicks I got the mobil one extended performance 15,000 to go back in - - as was said above, its only $2 more so why not?

• i-6JF7cJG-X2.jpg

and all buttoned back up

i-dhBRGNK-X2.jpg

i-ghQVwRh-X2.jpg

• Edward,

It well still be slower than the old plug, but let it run at idle for five minutes and it takes about ten minutes to drain. I do jack up the drivers side to facilitate draining fully, or close to it.

Yea - I did it cold, but like I said not really in a hurry, but thanks for the advice, next time I will warm it up first :thumbsup:

• I have always cranked my vehicles to move them into the shop, and then let them sit for 10+ minutes to let all of the oil drain back down into the oil pan. Never liked that the oil change places didn't let the vehicles sit and try to get as much of the oil out as possible, just a pet peeve of mine.

• I have always cranked my vehicles to move them into the shop, and then let them sit for 10+ minutes to let all of the oil drain back down into the oil pan. Never liked that the oil change places didn't let the vehicles sit and try to get as much of the oil out as possible, just a pet peeve of mine.

Mine had been sitting all night so dang near all of the oil should have been in the pan and after it stopped dripping I threw the jack under the driver side and tilted it to get every last drop.

• I would like to say I really like changing my own oil and checking all the fluids and such. Not only do I save a ton of money, But when its all done I know it was done right and I know the correct products were used. - - - - I have never trusted those oil change places that dispense the oil from hoses hanging down over the oil change pit - you pay for full synthetic but how can you really know thats whats coming out of the hose - - also the last time my wife had her oil changed at jiffy lube they put on the incorrect oil filter, my sone was driving her car and sitting at an intersection coming home from work and when he started to pull out the oil filter just blew off and all the oil instantly dumped out - thank God he had the wits to pul straight over and other than a huge mess with oil everywhere no damage was done - - needless to say she no longer has her oil changed at Jiffy Lube

anyway Cage Free is good to go for another 5,000 miles :thumbsup:

• I used to really like to do the maintenance on our "older" vehicles but as "newer" vehicles have become more sophisticated, more electronic and plastic oriented, requiring special, (expensive), tooling, so has the enjoyment deteriorated. We just purchased our second brand new vehicle of our lifetime and with it we purchased the extended warranty and lifetime oil change. We may never get our money's worth, but any more I would rather just take it in and let somebody else crawl around it and take the risk of breaking, or otherwise screwing something up, thus saving Justina the explosion of when I do it!

Bill