Hood latch problem

• having trouble getting the hood to latch properly. Front two latches seem to be the most troublesome.

Good slam doesn't do it, pressing down firmly (as samowens44 recommends) won't get these two securely fastened.

Any recommendations or ideas would be appreciated. Photos are also helpful!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• having trouble getting the hood to latch properly. Front two latches seem to be the most troublesome.

Good slam doesn't do it, pressing down firmly (as samowens44 recommends) won't get these two securely fastened.

Make sure that the cables are adjusted properly. samowens44 has a video on it

Do you have the cool air input? The filter box can obstruct the hood from closing all the way down into the front latches. Just want to mention that. Another member had this problem. Forgot who. The filter box was too high. Make sure the latch pins are not bent.

• After I installed my Hahn CAI w/the airbox sealing against the hood, I was having some hood latch issues and was concerned that the hard rubber molding on the airbox was pushing too hard against the hood*, so I replaced the stiffer rubber molding with some AC weatherstripping that normally is used around in-window AC units. I used a razor knife to slit the foam weatherstripping so it would fit over the top edge of the airbox and placed some wide double-stick tape folded over the top edge of the airbox to hold the weatherstripping in place. The foam weatherstrip seals nicely against the hood and you can see how it seals against the hood. I'll post a pic once I get dressed to go outside! Ok. i put on pants:) and here's the pic -

* I had also been playing with using some springs to help overcome some sticking at the rear of the hood that made it harder to open and actually had the hood lift up, blocking my vision during a night ride! I ended up removing the springs after that escapade!

Edited 3 times, last by BKL ().

• After I installed my Hahn CAI w/the airbox sealing against the hood, I was having some hood latch issues and was concerned that the hard rubber molding on the airbox was pushing too hard against the hood*, so I replaced the stiffer rubber molding with some AC weatherstripping that normally is used around in-window AC units. I used a razor knife to slit the foam weatherstripping so it would fit over the top edge of the airbox and placed some wide double-stick tape folded over the top edge of the airbox to hold the weatherstripping in place. The foam weatherstrip seals nicely against the hood and you can see how it seals against the hood. I'll post a pic once I get dressed to go outside! Ok. i put on pants:) and here's the pic -

* I had also been playing with using some springs to help overcome some sticking at the rear of the hood that made it harder to open and actually had the hood lift up, blocking my vision during a night ride! I ended up removing the springs after that escapade!

Thanks! The pictures are really helpful.

• Doc&Ruby I reviewed some of my Youtube Video on Latches and the Cool Air Filter Box. Here are photos.

One shows the Air Box and how close it comes to the hood. I don't know if you have the air box or not, but maybe it will help someone that does and has latching problems.

The other photo is a common problem that can happen, latch cable gets kinked in the front latch lever. The photo will show how a kinked cable will look. The latch will not latch like this. 10 min 30 sec, I show the condition and discuss it.

Here is my Hood Latch test procedure video for you to look at. Good Luck on your Problem. I will also give you a link to my playlist of all the Hood Latch Video I have.

Video for Latch testing

Video Playlist There are 8 video. To see a list click on the youtube sybol at bottom of viewer.

• Thanks, Sam, you're the best!

BKL I took photos of how it looks under the hood, here is the view, it is close and can be a source of hood latching problems that would be hard to figure out without see how tight this fit is. You did good changing to a softer material.

• You guys are the BEST!

samowens44 - I want to watch these videos right away... but I'm giving final exams all day today and somehow, I think that the students would be mad at me if was was up at the desk distracting them with cool slingshot videos while their academic careers were on the line! :/8o

I'll check up on these tonight! :thumbup:

• You guys are the BEST!

samowens44 - I want to watch these videos right away... but I'm giving final exams all day today and somehow, I think that the students would be mad at me if was was up at the desk distracting them with cool slingshot videos while their academic careers were on the line! :/8o

I'll check up on these tonight! :thumbup:

Yes, take care of students. If you have questions, let me know, each video will give something I have discovered about the Latches and adjustment. Want to help you get your latches working, important.

• Did you adjust the latch, or the position of the hooks on the hood to fix this?

Yes I had to straighten out how the S hooks were seated in the holes. I didn't know about this and my hood wasn't latching correctly for weeks. Was damaged on the highway because it just wouldn't stay latched and I eventually had to have it replaced because of the damage.

Pic shows the S hooks seated properly. I wish I had know to look at this, it was such a simple solution. Something to keep in mind even if this isn't your particular problem.

• Okay, after reviewing videos & photos, I dove under the hood. S-pins seemed to be seated properly, latch cables were not bent, kinked, or fouled. Latch pins were likewise in good shape, not bent or out of place.

I have a CAI, but the SLR does not come with an air box (gotta get me one!)

dangerdarrell suggested that we try lubing the latches with some lithium grease. We did that, lived the cables where they came in to attach to the latch.

This seemed to help immediately and Ruby's bonnet closed right up as it should without further problems. I also have a much better understanding of how this system works now!

Thanks everyone - problem solved!