Things that work well together

• As most of you know my slingshot is my daily driver and as I am sure you can all see by my signature I have the JRI GT coilovers and I also have the Twist Dynamics sway bar. I have put a bunch of miles on my slingshot with these mods, but yesterday was my first ride by myself in the twisties where I could drive aggressively and really get a feel for how good these two items work together. I have driven these roads before with the mods in place, but the wife was with me and she can get car sick if I start pushing it too much.

Anyway I just want to say that the combination of the GT coilovers and the sway bar is a very good combination, the sway bar kept the sling very flat to the road and the coilovers made it ride like a dream - - I love it, way better than stock and I think the touring tuning of the coilovers combined with the stiffer sway bar really pairs very well

but I am very sure there are many here who right about now are thinking "DUH, what took you so long"

Anyway back when I was researching the sway bar TravAZ told me one of the things he noticed on the track with the stiffer sway bar was that it allowed him to back off on the firmness of the coilovers and still hit the corners just as fast - - to me the idea of a stiff sway bar with the softer riding coilovers seemed different, but for those that dont already know it really gives what I think is the best of both worlds - killer cornering with a very comfortable ride

so if you didnt know this there you have it, and if you have discovered any mods that you think really combine to work well together this place to share if you want :thumbsup:

edit - almost forget - if you do go for a stiffer sway bar you need to get the DDM mounts for it - works way better that the stock hard plastic

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Ed, do you or anyone else know if the newer models have a different stock sway system than the earlier models?

I've not put mine on a track, but I've been pretty aggressive on some tight corners and mine just doesn't sway much, if at all. I can't really tell it. Maybe I need to get someone with a cam to follow me on a run to see how it performs.

I do plan to upgrade the coilovers, but I haven't planned to do the sway bar.

• Ed, do you or anyone else know if the newer models have a different stock sway system than the earlier models?

I've not put mine on a track, but I've been pretty aggressive on some tight corners and mine just doesn't sway much, if at all. I can't really tell it. Maybe I need to get someone with a cam to follow me on a run to see how it performs.

I do plan to upgrade the coilovers, but I haven't planned to do the sway bar.

I have heard that they changed the bends that form what I call the arms so that the sway bar is bent closer to the mounts and cant shift from one side to the other as it does earlier ones that dont have the locking collars and I guess this could potentially make it a bit stiffer, but it is not something I have heard anyone address. This is a question that I am sure Dave@DDMWorks can answer

• I will tell you one thing though. When I removed the stock sway bar I was caught off guard by how little it weighed. the tubing that thing is made from has to be some very thin walled tubing

• This may go without saying, but if you want to get better performance from your Welter dual exhaust, you must also get the upgraded Header. When I first put my exhaust in, I attached it to the stock header then changed the header out 3 months later. There was a noticeable difference in sound with just the exhaust, but when I changed the header was when I could tell that I was getting more HP. I believe that is the reason Welter started giving headers away with every exhaust purchase. Definitely two products that work well together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I have heard that they changed the bends that form what I call the arms so that the sway bar is bent closer to the mounts and cant shift from one side to the other as it does earlier ones that dont have the locking collars and I guess this could potentially make it a bit stiffer, but it is not something I have heard anyone address. This is a question that I am sure Dave@DDMWorks can answer

They did change the design of the sway bar and the mounting location on the 2017 and newer models. The first bend does start just after the mounts on the newer designs and then makes another bend before mounting to the end links. We did run the numbers on the newer design, but the difference in rate was pretty minimal. I am in working today on some projects and will run those again and post the numbers up later today.

• Next on my list:Bilsteins or DDMWorks.

you will love them and you can't go wrong with either

• I have heard that they changed the bends that form what I call the arms so that the sway bar is bent closer to the mounts and cant shift from one side to the other as it does earlier ones that dont have the locking collars and I guess this could potentially make it a bit stiffer, but it is not something I have heard anyone address. This is a question that I am sure Dave@DDMWorks can answer

Attached is a picture of the 3 sway bars we have here. The top picture is a 2017+ sway bar, the next one down is a stock 2015-2016 sway bar and the bottom one is our DDMWorks adjustable sway bar.

You can see the slight difference in the arm design on the newer sway bar design, which shortens the length of the main bar, which increases rate typically with all other factors staying the same. However, the arm length increases in length, which decreases stiffness a little bit. Also, the newer bar uses a little thinner wall tubing, also decreasing the stiffness slightly. Once all the measurements are done, the new and old style of sway bar come out to be very close in rate, with the older style being just slightly stiffer, but also slightly heavier.

Hope that helps and answers your questions,

Dave

• I trust your numbers Dave, and perhaps I'm just not pushing my SS enough on the corners. So far, I'm really happy with the stock setup on my 2019.

After I change shocks out, I may sing a different tune, but for now with the stock shocks and stock sway, it feels really good cornering.

• I trust your numbers Dave, and perhaps I'm just not pushing my SS enough on the corners. So far, I'm really happy with the stock setup on my 2019.

After I change shocks out, I may sing a different tune, but for now with the stock shocks and stock sway, it feels really good cornering.

Personally I think the Slingshot handles very well as it comes from the factory - I just wanted to make it a bit better. Cant afford to do things like boosting, so I focused on handling

• Agreed, but you put an aftermarket sway bar on yours. Now I'm curious as to when I get the shocks on, how I'll feel about the sway.

When I first got the JRI's both the ride and the handling improved over stock. The JRI's are not only better damped, but also firmer than stock the sway bar just took things a step further