Adventures in oil changing.

• So, last week I reached 500 miles on my SS. My dealer is about 65 miles away and I really didn’t want to ride all that way for a simple oil and filter change. I figured I could easily do it myself, I AM an airplane fixer after all. ;)

I did my research and bought the oil and filter and on Tuesday determined that I needed a different jack to raise it up a bit. Mine was too tall.

I bought two rhino ramps at autozone, every store I looked was out of stock on low profile jacks, even Harbor Freight. I had seen a thread where someone said that you could place the ramps behind the front wheels and simply back up on them with no problems.

Well, on Wednesday I tried, didn’t work. The fenders would catch and start to bend.

I saw that you could access it from the side with the hood up, so I tried that.

This is where it all starts to go sideways.

I found that I needed a swivel to get on the drain plug from the side. Sure looks like it would be easier from the bottom I thought.

I didn’t own one so I had to stop and try again on Thursday.

Thursday comes and wouldn’t you know it? Rain. I don’t have a garage so I have to wait for the next day. Bummer.

On Friday, I couldn’t wait to get home and change that oil! I was actually excited and very enthusiastic! (For an oil change? Yep!)

Well, I found the right combination of socket, extensions, swivel, and ratchet. Here we go!

Got it all in there and discovered that that drain plug was very tight! Like way over torqued!

No way to get a cheater bar in there. Just got best grip I could with both hands and applied as much muscle as I could muster. That thing let go with a loud CRACK! I thought that maybe I had broken one of my tools and my hand hurt where it hit the frame. I figured that it might be bruised or something.

The tools were ok, so I started to loosen the drain plug with a socket on an extension. Some of the oil started to leak out and the extension soon became too slippery to turn by hand. I pulled my hand and tools out of there so that I could clean the oil off.

Only, it wasn’t oil, it was blood! Lots of it!

Needless to say, I stopped and tried to stop the bleeding. I was successful, I thought, until I tried to continue.

Here I was, needing to get that cut looked at, but all alone. I couldn’t get the bleeding to stop long enough to get to the ER (9 miles away), my neighbors weren’t home, and my wife was still at work for another hour.

So what did I do? I did what any reasonable guy would do. Wrapped it in paper towel and finished the job!

After I was done, I thought it might be a good idea to wash the wound out with alcohol.

Nope. Not a good idea.

When my wife got home she was treated to the sight of oil bottles, oily rags, tools, and bloody Bounty paper towels everywhere.

Didn’t take long to get to the ER. I got 9 stitches and a grape lollipop for my troubles.

The moral of the story...

Wear gloves, protect your hands. ||

• Yes wear gloves always. Were I work it's mandatory to wear them. I have gloves everywhere at home and wear them when I work on things that can cut or scrape

I have used the leather gloves for at least the last 30 years and even now if they are not close by and I do without I will do something and of bring the blood

• I use the easy, but cheap way - I bought a Fumoto F107 oil valve with the adapter to allow the valve to screw into the recess where the oil pan bolt goes. Been thinking about switching to the newer model F107SX. I think the F107SX also requires an adapter to fit into the recess area in the oil pan. See http://www.fumotousa.com and search for 2008 Pontiac Solstice with 2.4L engine. Ask Fumoto about the appropriate adapter for the F107SX or search the forum to see what other folks have done.

The valve makes it very easy to change your oil. The only drawback I see is the smaller drain hole the valve uses means you'll leave a little more old oil since the effective height of the oil in the pan after draining the old oil will be a millimeter or 2 higher than the bottom edge of the oil pan drain hole.

HJust got this email from Fumoto USA -

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgallery.mailchimp.com%2F3bc620a27b093ac7288beccf0%2Fimages%2F87ca69fe-2ea3-4515-b6f3-658b8cb71126.png&t=1556851095&ymreqid=c6c5f4d8-bdae-1f8d-1cf2-d9008101af00&sig=e1VGwG2GBUFAP7.CH2EGAA--~C
    Take advantage of our Cinco de Mayo weekend promo a day before everyone else! Use the promo code now to save an extra 10% on all valves and accessories!
    mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgallery.mailchimp.com%2F3bc620a27b093ac7288beccf0%2Fimages%2F739058bb-8e6d-4efd-8462-81c8f5632ebb.png&t=1556851095&ymreqid=c6c5f4d8-bdae-1f8d-1cf2-d9008101af00&sig=JwiSFCRiE7Lomsq.BW6lkA--~C
    Buy Now

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• I know nobody will believe this....but I did my first oil change by reaching down by standing inside the front wheel well. I could see the plug and reach it from above, not climbing under.....it was very easy...

I did change over to the FUMOTO valve so I don’t know if I’ll still be able to do it from above....I was under it to install the FUMOTO valve.

• Staphory

Hope the stitches come out easier than that oil change. Personally, I would have stopped at two or three stitches...

Can't wait to hear your story on the angle drive fluid change.

Hit us all up for some tips before you dive in...

We might help you avoid a few rocks.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I use the easy, but cheap way - I bought a Fumoto F107 oil valve with the adapter to allow the valve to screw into the recess where the oil pan bolt goes. Been thinking about switching to the newer model F107SX. I think the F107SX also requires an adapter to fit into the recess area in the oil pan. See http://www.fumotousa.com and search for 2008 Pontiac Solstice with 2.4L engine. Ask Fumoto about the appropriate adapter for the F107SX or search the forum to see what other folks have done.

The valve makes it very easy to change your oil. The only drawback I see is the smaller drain hole the valve uses means you'll leave a little more old oil since the effective height of the oil in the pan after draining the old oil will be a millimeter or 2 higher than the bottom edge of the oil pan drain hole.

HJust got this email from Fumoto USA -

mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgallery.mailchimp.com%2F3bc620a27b093ac7288beccf0%2Fimages%2F87ca69fe-2ea3-4515-b6f3-658b8cb71126.png&t=1556851095&ymreqid=c6c5f4d8-bdae-1f8d-1cf2-d9008101af00&sig=e1VGwG2GBUFAP7.CH2EGAA--~C
    Take advantage of our Cinco de Mayo weekend promo a day before everyone else! Use the promo code now to save an extra 10% on all valves and accessories!
    mail?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgallery.mailchimp.com%2F3bc620a27b093ac7288beccf0%2Fimages%2F739058bb-8e6d-4efd-8462-81c8f5632ebb.png&t=1556851095&ymreqid=c6c5f4d8-bdae-1f8d-1cf2-d9008101af00&sig=JwiSFCRiE7Lomsq.BW6lkA--~C
    Buy Now

Okay... so I went to the Fumoto site, planning to buy a valve.

So many choices... regular nipple.., short nipple,....,,, L-shaped nipple!!! :D:love::evil:

Seriously though, Fumoto says some valves aren't recommended for "low clearance automotive applications", and there are lots of thread sizes. Can someone tell me which model I need for my sling?

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.