scan tool

• For our VW I have a very inexpensive scan tool in which I can also delete CEL codes with, is there such a thing that will work with the SlingShot?

Bill

Yes there is but is not inexpensive... Last I checked the price was $370ish

https://obd2allinone.com/mefi6scan.asp

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

Edited once, last by Neosolidus ().

• I know I posted this in another thread quite awhile ago, but I am going to give it another try. Harley uses a canbus system, they use digital wrench to get the info from the pcm. There are tuners that you can hook up to the ecm (pcm) that will read the data, analyze it and develop a program for your bike to help it run better and more efficient. I believe that is all correct. Why cant something like that be made for the SS? I know there are people who have unlocked the ecm and can dyno and tune them why can't something like that be done? Just asking.

• I know I posted this in another thread quite awhile ago, but I am going to give it another try. Harley uses a canbus system, they use digital wrench to get the info from the pcm. There are tuners that you can hook up to the ecm (pcm) that will read the data, analyze it and develop a program for your bike to help it run better and more efficient. I believe that is all correct. Why cant something like that be made for the SS? I know there are people who have unlocked the ecm and can dyno and tune them why can't something like that be done? Just asking.

(going from memory based on something Bob said a LONG time ago) Polaris changed something so regular digital wrench doesn't work.

To be honest I wish Dynojet would get involved I have always enjoyed the fact that for almost every bike that I have owned I would just buy the PC commander(or similar brand for the bike) and then go to the user forums and pick one of the many tunes posted by users.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I have got to be overlooking this information somewhere, but where does the scan tool plug in to the SlingShot?

Bill

There is a 8 pin connector located underneath the dash, behind the steering wheel area. It should be plugged into a little "blank" most of the time. On some of the Slingshots we have had come in, mainly the 2016.5 models, this same plug has been under the hood right by the ECM. Not sure why some are like that, but the majority of the diagnostic plugs are under the dash.

Hope that helps you,

Dave

• The base model has a cable port under dash and the sl model has one next to the ecm. I would only get one from mefibob or Dave to make sure your getting what you want and he sells reading tools. There are different versions of the MEFI ecm. My v8 sling also has a mefi system but different than what Polaris is using in the stock sling. Polaris has the system locked very tight and Bob was the first to break in and I believe one other now.
    It’s a different animal than OBD2 and mefi is a marine based tuning. This is why we only have 2 people that would put all the time involved for little return numbers to mess with it. MefiBob is a highly recognized boat tuner and been in the mefi system for years. Bob was so far ahead of the game in the beginning that he has done probably 90% of slingshots removing most profit left for anyone else to want to take the thousand of hours it takes to break in and get a base tune. Hope this answers your questions Bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks, it was right where you said.

Another question, is this plug unique to the SlingShot, or do possibly other Polaris vehicles use the same plug and coding? In other words, I am trying not to have to travel 200 miles just to clear a CEL.

Bill

As far as I know the Slingshot is the only Polaris Vehicle that is using the MEFI 6 ECM on it. There are Polaris vehicles that are using the MEFI 5 from my understanding, but there are different communication protocols between the 5 and 6 from what I have been told.

What check engine light do you have? Once the problem is taken care of the check engine light should go off on its own after 3 drive cycles.

Do you know how to check the codes you are getting on the dash?

• Do you know how to check the codes you are getting on the dash?

Since maybe I seem to not fully comprehend your question maybe I don't? The code is 0 65551 5, which according to my chart means an open circuit in the knock sensor system, is there something more?

I just wish that I could simply clear this code and then see if it occurs again, indicating that maybe it is just a one time glitch? The way it is, since we have to spend four hours just getting it to the shop just to clear the CEL, we might as well just change out the knock sensor to be on the safe side.

Bill

• Since maybe I seem to not fully comprehend your question maybe I don't? The code is 0 65551 5, which according to my chart means an open circuit in the knock sensor system, is there something more?

I just wish that I could simply clear this code and then see if it occurs again, indicating that maybe it is just a one time glitch? The way it is, since we have to spend four hours just getting it to the shop just to clear the CEL, we might as well just change out the knock sensor to be on the safe side.

Bill

You are correct, the code you are getting is for an open circuit on the knock sensor.

Once the problem is corrected, most likely a bad knock sensor in this case, the ECM will clear the code automatically after 3 drive cycles typically and you will not have to have it cleared. Since it has been fairly common to have the knock sensors fail and if you are handy with tools, in your case it would be probably quicker and easier to change out the knock sensor.

If it was a one time glitch, the code would have cleared itself by now if you have driven it a couple times since it came on.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• Well, Dave, there once was a time in which I would not have hesitated a second in just doing this myself, but today when I see all of that plastic in tight quarters, well, Murphy seems to be hiding behind every corner any more where I would just rather let somebody else do the job where they are responsible for what they accidentally break. Besides, we still need to get the recalls done also....................

Thanks bunches Dave,

Bill