Looking for a rear rim

• I really like the 2015 style better than the 2016 in looks. It was a pretty well known fact early on that those rims on the 2015 had some occasional flaws. The bad thing is, which ones? Many more out there with thousands of miles on them than the ones that did break.... however if it's yours that does and it does it at a bad time (not likely it will break parked in the garage) like hustling around a curve, well you get the point. I was thinking somewhere I read that the 2015's were cast, but the 2016's are forged. Cast only can work fine, but if there's any dirt or the process isn't held to tight standards (poured at the right temp, and rate of flow) the casting can have weak spots. Pouring the metal too hot is just as bad as too cool. Especially on something critical like a wheel on a Slingshot that will get spun, braked, and side pushed from curves like these do.

I don't claim to know everything by any means. I am the lead tool designer for an aluminum casting foundry, so I do know this pretty well. Forged is the much better way to go.

• Which could be the reason the supposed dealer that was going out of the Polaris business had a bunch of them at a really good price....even though they were still in the original boxes...

3 SL wheels (18” and 20”) and tires with a brand new set of double bubbles, new lug nuts and the SL shock mount and free shipping... $540

So I guess the chances of them being machined from a solid aluminum billet is out the window?

We’re the bad wheels 17”-18”- 20” or all sizes...only on certain models? How did they determine it?

• the only style I have ever heard any complaints about were the "SL" 18-20 wheels and the culprit in all cases was the rear(20) one.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• the only style I have ever heard any complaints about were the "SL" 18-20 wheels and the culprit in all cases was the rear(20) one.

The spokes probably should have been proportionally increased in size (thickness) to accommodate more weight and stress from a bigger tire. Put a little more meat on the bone.

Most of us skip the pre ride safety inspections....

• I keep kicking myself for not purchasing a "spare" set back when they were being sold so cheaply. I believe I recall somebody selling the brand new wheels, tires, as well as the double bubble windshield, as a set for around $500, including shipping?

Bill

Yep! That was right $450 I kicked myself for not buying two sets instead of just the one set