• is this a qiuck fix

Short answer... no.

But, you said fix.

It could be a false indication.

Maybe you lugged the engine during a shift, low octane gas or old gas, exhaust system slapping the engine block or other loosely mounted accessory.

That 1 before 65551 5 indicates it has happened 1 time.

The dealer can reset the code with his Digital Wrench software. Or you can start and drive the Slingshot five or six times and it will reset if there is no other occurance. The only thing I am not sure of is if the Check Engine light will drop. I will find that out soon enough.

Try a fresh tank of gas, 92 octane or above...

Check oil and coolant fluids are at proper levels.

And of course, Bigdog has a manual...

What he doesn't tell you is the knock sensor can only be accessed by pulling the intake manifold.

So, let's just deal with a one time occurence for now.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Years ago wherever we heard that knocking sound it was gasoline related...cheap gas, dirty gas, water in the gas....preignition....timing was off....

That’s why in every vehicle I have I use 93 octane PERIOD ..I own 6 vehicles now ...4-350s (5.7) one 5.3 and the slingshot....even my weed whacker gets 93..

• Well, our CEL was just activated showing the fault to be the knock sensor. If there is ever a good time for something like this to happen I guess we are lucky for we are already planning on taking the Grasshopper up to the dealer to get the recalls check out, so they can just do this while we're there.

Bill

• I got our ducks in a row preparing to take the Grasshopper on it's four hour ride to Salem, hopefully on Friday the 10th, to get the knock sensor replaced, as well as the seat and camera recalls done. After listening to all of the horror stories about Polaris being unable to provide parts on time, (and also this is a new dealer for us), I checked with the local GM dealer first to assure I could pick up a knock sensor locally. Having that accomplished, I called Cycle Country in Salem all prepared to say I will bring my own part, where in less than 10 minutes time the parts are ordered and will be here for the Grasshopper's 10:00 appointment on Friday, May 10. So, depending on how long it actually takes to change out that knock sensor, I have a good feeling that we should be in & out in good time! :thumbsup:

Bill

• It triggers a code and it depends on the code....all are logged in the event folder....

You have red and yellow check engine lights.....yellow let’s you know something is going on that’s not normal....

Red means serious trouble and you should shut it down as quick as possible....

• A knock sensor is one sensor that does not effect engine performance one bit if it fails under normal conditions. Unlike other sensors (Coolant sensor, oxygen sensor, throttle position sensor and others) the knock sensor only makes changes to the engine performance IF it detects an engine knock (or ping if you will). When it detects this detonation, it signals the ecu to retard the ignition timing. Under normal conditions, an engine SHOULD not experience this condition if the engine is not overheating, burning inferior quality or octane fuel, or being driven under severe loads (up hills towing a heavy load etc). So even with a failed sensor, it would not be detectable to the operator under normal conditions.

Hope this helps explain why it would still run fine

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Thanks FunCycle, all the other info I read about knock sensors was that when it failed the engine would automatically go into "limp" mode. It's good to know that the SlingShot doesn't go "limp!" :P

I was just going back through the post of this thread where:

That 1 before 65551 5 indicates it has happened 1 time.

Our code is a 0 65551 5 ? :/

Bill

• Cycle Country in Salem just called to confirm that that they have received the knock sensor and camera and are set for our appointment tomorrow, so I am very happy with the communications so far. It will be a 400 mile bonsai trip up the Interstate and back tomorrow with warm/ dry weather, (90+ degrees.)

Bill