learning new things

• I got some more of the adhesive mounts so now I have two new camera locations to try. I put the first one on the windshield below the center support I suspect that this will be my primary mounting location for when I have the top on

i-cB8qGTm-X2.jpg

I put the second mount on the nose piece between the center lights. I think this will make for a very interesting perspective, but I must admit that it bugs me not being able to keep an eye on the camera from the driver seat. Guess I am a bit nervous that I could lose the camera - - - I will be testing both mounts in the coming days

i-PHpLpLZ-X2.jpg

I thought about putting one on one of the roll hoops but when I set the camera up there the perspective just seemed odd to my eye being off center I also think lower is better (hence the one on the nose)

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I'm getting a new camera and I will be trying some variations on mounting positions....

But when I say it like that, it sounds like a website I wouldn't let my wife catch me looking at! 8o

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• wokka you need to fix the fitment here...

Yeah, you told me that the last time I posted that pic, it's an older one. I've had the dealer work on that gap some, but it's still not as good as others. In talking with Chavey2 at Kerrville about it, he didn't notice it on mine, but when we started comparing all of the SS there, we saw a wide range of gaps (dat gap!).

The dealer's mechanic told me I had possibly bent the lower splitter frame by rubbing a curb. While I have rubbed one curb, I don't think it was enough to bend the frame down there, but I don't know that for a fact.

I do know that my hood is still missing some screws that they replaced, and didn't last very long. Things aren't sitting 100% right around that gap and there is some flex in the hood since it's missing a couple of screws.

I plan to take it back into the dealer, but I'll have to leave it and may wait until cold weather before I do.

May schedule a wrench day with some folks and just take the hood completely apart and see if we can fix it ourselves. Lots of options.

• wokka , I did hit a car stop with mine. Bent it kinda bad. I put a piece of pipe in the support tubing and gently pulled it back in place. That might be of some help to you on your lineup of the gap. Hope this might help.

JUST SAYIN

Keep Three Wheels Down

• Okay, here are my tests of the new mounting locations, Please view them and let me know what you think. Which view do you prefer?

also - you can keep the sound off or down low, I did not put the wind guard on the camera for these tests so the wind sound is rather annoying

first the Gopro mounted on the windshield

and second the Gopro mounted down on the nose of the Slingshot

also, if you have viewed the videos above how do you think that mounting location on the fin compared with these?

• I like both, prefer the nose mount though.

Where did you wind up mounting it on the nose?

I got some more of the gopro adhesive mounts - seemed like the easiest way for both locations - its the same as I used for the base of the fin.

i-PHpLpLZ-X2.jpg

i-cB8qGTm-X2.jpg

• Edward Neal I enjoyed both of them! :thumbsup:

The first one gives more of an experience of driving the Slingshot, but the second one feels like flying! The second one also gets more engine noise - vrooom! I think either one would benefit from a bit of acoustic foam wrapped around the camera to cut road noise. Don't think I know what I'm talking about here - cause I don't! :/ I'm just thinking of the foam covers that some lapel microphones have... could you get some of that and rubber band it to cover the microphone hole and quiet the wind? Something to experiment with.

In any case, kudos to you, brother! I've ordered my new camera and it should be here in a few days - looking forward to joining you in video experiments!

--Doc

• Edward Neal I like both positions for the same reasons as Doc&Ruby . If you are featuring the road, lower front. If you are featuring the ride (weather, scenery, people, surroundings) then I like the mount behind the seats.

If I were to use the front bumper location, I would think about a tether to attach it to the vehicle in case the mount releases. It would be temporary, only installed when the camera is. Could be as simple as a zip tie. Peace of mind...

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• yes I agree with the foam. I got some of these gopro wind screens but I didnt bother putting one on for these tests. Tomorrow I plan on recording a real ride and will use one for that

• Edward Neal I like both positions for the same reasons as Doc&Ruby . If you are featuring the road, lower front. If you are featuring the ride (weather, scenery, people, surroundings) then I like the mount behind the seats.

If I were to use the front bumper location, I would think about a tether to attach it to the vehicle in case the mount releases. It would be temporary, only installed when the camera is. Could be as simple as a zip tie. Peace of mind...

yea - I will have to think about a tether. the one thing that really bugs me about that location is that I cant see it to know if it coming loose. On the other hand that 3M-VHB mounting tape seems very very strong

• Edward Neal

The wind-foam-sock thing is brilliant! Thanks for the link.

As to knowing whether your camera is loose or not, I know my SJ8 Pro will link to my phone through wi-fi so I can see what it is filming live. If the camera broke free, it would be obvious and you could pull over and rescue it.

Just a thought,

• Edward Neal

The wind-foam-sock thing is brilliant! Thanks for the link.

As to knowing whether your camera is loose or not, I know my SJ8 Pro will link to my phone through wi-fi so I can see what it is filming live. If the camera broke free, it would be obvious and you could pull over and rescue it.

Just a thought,

Yes my phone and the gopro link so I can watch whats being filmed, but it also adds to the drain on the battery of both the phone and I assume the camera so I prefer not to have to keep it live streaming to the phone for the entire ride. with the camera on the windshield or the fin location I can keep it hooked up to external power, but that is not as easy when the camera is all the way up on the nose - At this point the mount seems really solid so I think so long as I inspect it before rides it should be good, I also like the idea of tethering it - I am sure I can figure something out

• Edward Neal grab you one of these or the like and mount it behind the lights, might even be able to tap into the lights power for this, or run a cable up to the fuse block.

They have others that have a plate to mount with screwholes, or you can design your own.

If I ever put my go-pro on my SS, that's what I'll likely do.

I have two of these types of mounts already in the cockpit for charging items.

• At this point in my testing / learning it has become obvious that if what I am recording is intended to have being in a Slingshot as a part of the feel of the video the windshield and fin locations need to be used and if the video is solely about the road and the scenery then the nose mounting location is good.

Clearly the fin location gives the best feel of actually riding right there next to me, but then again I am not sure I want to have to always be conscious of what I am doing - sure wouldn't want to get caught wiping my nose or adjusting my pants =O - - considering this I think the windshield mount might have an edge

• personally I like the roll hoop location(overview) for joy rides/scenic rides while front facia(below the cone so lower than yours) for aggressive twisty rides or "chase rabbit" videos, especially if you manage to produce beautiful engine noises.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.