SPST Rocker Switch Wiring - teach me :)

• Yes, I did some research on the internet but only seemed to find very technical schematics.

I also did a search of this forum. Lots of switch info but everybody already knows to to wire them :)

I have to move my heated gear wires out of my Neutrino and onto a SPST rocker switch I bought from SlingMods (the accessories in the Neutrino now go over the 60 amps limit).

What wires go where? The only way to learn is to ask!

Thanks everyone. I'll be sure to say a huge thank you to everyone who has been helping me here when/if I see you next month in Maggie Valley!

• I *think* this is how it goes.

The positive wire from the accessory goes to one pole.

Then another positive wire with an appropriate in-line fuse goes from the other pole to either the battery or the alternator.

The negative ground from the accessory goes to the frame, which I have already done.

Do I have it right?

• The above looks correct but....

Be sure that the switch is rated for well over the current draw you expect.

Personally, I like to use a relay and switch ground to activate the relay.

The heated gear item is below, and requires 15 amps. I assume the switch that slingmods sells could handle that - I don't see why it couldn't.

https://www.warmnsafe.com/prod…mote-control-heat-troller

• Slingmods doesn't publish the rated amps for the dash switches.

Judging from the type and size, my bet goes to 15 amp max.

No need to pull max amps through the switch.

Use the switch to switch a ground and a relay to power the heated gear.

Found an online graphic that shows this:

6f083470b37627e7409b1e0193fbb489.jpg

• I seriously am grateful for this electronics lesson. I can pick this stuff up fairly quickly but always want to avoid any mistakes.

Can you tell me why I would not want to do this according to the diagram I posted? Why use a relay which is more complicated? Inquiring minds want to know :)

• If the switches are rated at 20 amp, I would say go for the simple wiring. Be sure to fuse close to the power source.

If they are 15 amp rated and you are pulling 15 amps for long periods of time, the switch will likely heat up to the point of melting plastic.

A relay is nothing more than an electric switch. A standard automotive relay has contacts rated at 40 amps (pins 30 and 87). Mini-relays are usually 20 amp and there are heavy duty ones at 80 amp.

The pins to activate the relay are 85 and 86. Current draw here is usually about 100 miliamps.

You now have the option of what you want to switch to activate the relay.

I prefer switching ground.

• You sir have saved the day with your electrical knowledge. I wrote to slingmods and they confirm their switches can only handle 10 amps. I never would have known without your posts here. I thank you.

Going to stop at the auto part store tomorrow and get a relay and in line fuse. This thread will be a good source of information for newbie electronics members. Thanks again!

• That looks great!!! Can't wait to see it in person! I'm starting to plan out our group rides but have been consumed with getting my sling in perfect order for Slingshots in the Smokies.

Well I'm embarrassed I didn't recognize a group member... but we have so many now. I come to this forum because they already know here that I'm short on electronics knowledge and I often ask simple questions. I don't ask these questions in the group, and now I'm caught ;)

• Michelle and I had to pass on Maggie Valley, kids are just not at a good age to be left alone during school days.

We have been out quite a few times over the past month between rain drops.

Our go to "around the block" is heading out to Clinton, then west on 62 out to Barre, then 122 south to 31 south. Take a left in Charlton and a few back roads home.

Its about a 3 hour drive but we stop at some antiques in Sterling and lunch somewhere.

Can't wait till we all start getting together. Always fun!

Matt was trying to talk me into the NY trip last week. If I had a roof, I would have done it but, with the morning rain and low temps..... I stayed home and waited. Ended up doing a slightly modified loop of above.

See you soon!

• This is how I wired my neutrino..and set the fuses...

I don’t know how you over loaded the neutrino with heated riding gear.....

I have soles, pants, jacket and gloves..(each hooked up separately) ....they come to 21 amps....that’s running them at full power...they are not set exactly but the have done headroom...

• Neutrino:

Slot 1: Morimoto controller for speaker and vent LED lights: 10 amps

Slot 2: Two MagicLED controllers for underbody and wheel lights: 20 amps total

Slot 3: Heated gear: 15 amps

Slot 4: Joker LED front lights controller 1: 10 amps

Slot 5: Joker LED front lights controller 2: 10 amps

65 amps :(