Tire noise

• Up to now Justina and I have been wearing modular/full faced helmets, with intercoms, which in themselves filter out quite a bit of noise. The one noise that has been obvious from the beginning is from wind and turbulence. With the installation of the MeanSling Sport Top, we have not only decreased our risk of getting hit by road debris, we additionally noticed that the wind/turbulence noise also diminished significantly. With this in mind, we decided to go to lighter half-helmets hoping just to chat somewhat normally to each other without the aid of an intercom. Today I got a chance to go solo and after hitting the highway became suddenly aware of how much noise the tires are making, in fact, I am thinking maybe they may be the greatest noise factor of all? Since our current tires are practically brand new BF Goodrich g-Force COMP-2 A/S, there is little we can do about it now. But, when it comes to time for tire replacement, finding a quieter tire of comparable qualities prolly will be higher on our list of requirements?

Bill

• when the time comes you might want to consider the Nitto motivos I have been very pleased with how little noise they make

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• If one is always riding alone then there is no need for conversation and tire noise would be of no concern, otherwise................................

Bill

No, I am not always alone. She still demands her rides about every weekend. You see you get a lot of misinformation, DON'T YOU. For the past 3 years she has not been able to do the longer rides unless we are riding by ourselves. She does not like staying in the motel all by herself while I do the wild rides. Brenda had a total plus the short rides of about 14 days around South Carolina - North Carolina and a small piece of Virginia and Georgia. A large part of her rides is why I have 77,600 miles on my SlingShot. I am trying to be as nice as possible. Thank You

• Are you going to ride or worry about tire noise

Well, FunCycle, I didn't recognize much of your trying to be nice with your statement above, I apologize for overlooking it. And what I meant in the following post was that if I, (as in me), or Justina, rode mostly solo than the tire noise would be of less concern. Otherwise, a main part of our enjoying our rides is talking with each other. The point of this post was that even with our full faced/modular helmets, it was obvious that with the top on, wind noise and turbulence had been noticeably diminished. With this in mind we were hoping that with the added protection of the top, that we could enhance our riding enjoy-ability by doing away with our full helmets and intercom system and getting by with just half-helmets and conversing normally. Unfortunately, we were disappointed in finding that the previously unnoticed tire noise is going to make this objective more difficult than originally imagined. Why do you seem to object to our trying to do away with the additional paraphernalia of full helmets and intercoms and enjoying a more natural ride and unaided conversation?

Bill

• Bill, different tire type/brand will behave differently on most roads. Some roads will just cause a lot of noise. As stated by a couple of people, some concrete roads are just noisy, and around my area, really cheap rock/tar roads are noisier than good asphalt roads.

If all of your roads are noisy with your tires, try a different tread/brand on your next set.

Just as a comparison, my NT555 g2's don't seem to be too loud on good roads. If you were near me, I'd let you borrow my old stock tire and wheels to do a comparison, maybe someone in your area has some stashed?

• If you pull up the tires on the nitto site they have a chart to the side that rates each tire for dry traction, wet traction, comfort and quietness

it seems to be a scale of zero to 5 for each of these items

here is a link - https://www.nittotire.com/passenger-tires/

I would think that other tire companies will also provide this information

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().