Dust Off That Powder Blue Tuxedo ..... It's Homecoming Time

• The following is from the Tenn Highway Safety Office website:

TENNESSEE AUTOCYCLE LAWS

An autocycle is a three-wheeled motorcycle that is equipped with safety belts, steering wheel, and nonstraddle seating, and is manufactured to comply with federal safety requirements for motorcycles. [TCA 55-1-103 (a)]

The Class M Motorcycle Operator License is not required for the operation of an autocycle. [TCA 55-50-301(c)]

The driver and passenger of an autocycle must wear helmets UNLESS the autocycle is completely surrounded. [TCA 55-9-302 (b)(2)]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• We'll carry ours with. Was stopped in Tennessee last year, officer just issued us warnings. Didn't have top on that day, wife and I were polite and respectful, officer was in return, really nice guy! If we get lit up for no helmet again and warning is in the computer, prolly gonna get a ticket. 8o More than likely next time we'll have our MS topper on, so I'll play that card. ;)

The driver and passenger of an autocycle must wear helmets UNLESS the autocycle is completely surrounded. [TCA 55-9-302 (b)(2)]

John Price this is exactly what the officer told us.

• The driver and passenger of an autocycle must wear helmets UNLESS the autocycle is completely surrounded. [TCA 55-9-302 (b)(2)]

This is more than a little vague. How and who understands the meaning?

Exactly what I thought. Top? Yeah, that goes without saying. So... doors.... with windows? I'll just wear the lid if topless, and if the MeanSling is on I'll take my chances. I road home from Maggie thru TN with the MeanSling top, and never got bothered.

• The driver and passenger of an autocycle must wear helmets UNLESS the autocycle is completely surrounded. [TCA 55-9-302 (b)(2)]

Yep - in California there is an exception to the helmet law for "fully enclosed" three wheel motorcycles - - no definition of what constitutes "fully enclosed" as such it pretty much leaves it up to the judge

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Exactly what I thought. Top? Yeah, that goes without saying. So... doors.... with windows? I'll just wear the lid if topless, and if the MeanSling is on I'll take my chances. I road home from Maggie thru TN with the MeanSling top, and never got bothered.

I may get stopped tomorrow but have not worn a helmet in Georgia, North Carolina Virgina or Tenn. in over 2 years. But I do have a Fab Factory Top, the last time the wife was with me she wore the bicycle helmet. You cannot tell the difference from any distance, and another thing with me I always have a ball cap on, so they just might see something on my head.

So officer, do you understand that to be like a Jeep with top and doors removed operating on a highway...

Or as in, you are on this side of my Slingshot and your partner is on the opposite side, kind of surrounded. :/

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• So officer, do you understand that to be like a Jeep with top and doors removed operating on a highway...

Or as in, you are on this side of my Slingshot and your partner is on the opposite side, kind of surrounded. :/

not sure the jeep comparison works - jeep is a car and subject to different laws than a autocycle or motorcycle.

I have a friend who got a ticket in his slingshot for no helmet. took it to court and in the end the judge agreed that it was exempt - - I think this is great, but he did miss 2 days of work going to court - so I am not sure you can say he "won" personally I think its just easier to wear my little 1/2 helmet - I dont have the time or desire to go to court

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• [quote='edwardaneal','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/7609-dust-off-that-powder-blue-tuxedo-it-s-homecoming-time/&postID=268702#post268702']

So officer, do you understand that to be like a Jeep with top and doors removed operating on a highway...

not sure the jeep comparison works - jeep is a car and subject to different laws than a autocycle or motorcycle.

I have a friend who got a ticket in his slingshot for no helmet. took it to court and in the end the judge agreed that it was exempt - - I think this is great, but he did miss 2 days of work going to court - so I am not sure you can say he "won" personally I think its just easier to wear my little 1/2 helmet - I dont have the time or desire to go to court

[/quote]

I’m retired and have nothing better to do with my free time. 😉.

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter

• I haven’t heard from him since about a month after taking delivery on Nuc’em.

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter