GL3 or GL4 Transmission fluid for the Polaris slingshot 2015

• I don't know the quantity, but gl-4 is replacing gl-3. This is from a manufacturer site:

API GL-3 Inactive* manual transmissions and spiral-bevel axles mild to moderate to severe conditions of speed and load Load-carrying capacities greater than APL GL-1, but below the requirements of lubricants satisfying the API GL-4 service.
    API GL-4 Active spiral-bevel and hypoid gears in automotive axles moderate speeds and loads These oils may be used in selected manual transmission and transaxle applications.
  • When I did research on this topic a ways back I came away with the thoughts that GL3 rated was geared towards manual transmissions, Where GL-4 and GL-5 are more geared towards differentials. Considering how some lubes are corrosive to the yellow metals found in transmissions, debate seemed to lean towards GL-4 generally, but it appears that not all GL-4 fluids are the same and one must read individual labels carefully to make sure it is actually yellow metal safe, otherwise, most definitely do not use GL-5. To be perfectly safe you can get tranny fluid directly from Polaris. Last that I saw you can still go on to Amazon and still get GL-3. Royal Purple and some other aftermarket fluids, though not certified, claim that they are safe to use with yellow metals. A final recommendation is to do your own research to confirm, there was quite a bit of misunderstanding and thus misinformation of manual transmission/differential lubes back when..............................

Presently I am contemplating that the next time I change the tranny fluid I will be going with Syncromesh, where GM, Pennzoil and Valvoline each have their version. Our Jetta was starting to get raggedy in shifting and the Synchromesh really smoothed it out again.

Bill