Cleaning /shining black plastic

• A somewhat related question, With all of this talking about polishing up our SlingShots, I am currently out giving the Grasshopper a good goings over, and I have been reminded of a real trouble area, at least for us, and that is the roll hoops. No matter what we have used on the hoops, they still look mottled? What are your suggestions or ideas here, besides removing and resurfacing them?

Thanks,

Bill

I soaked mine down with F-11 and let sit until the next day and buffed off. This is the first time that the roll hoops have shined. I had pretty much tried everything to get them to shine

• I soaked mine down with F-11 and let sit until the next day and buffed off. This is the first time that the roll hoops have shined. I had pretty much tried everything to get them to shine

that works :thumbsup:

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• okay, I have a question for the pledge users. Are you using this all alone, or are you using it on top of a traditional wax or sealant?

I am just curious if it provides any protection by its self

• okay, I have a question for the pledge users. Are you using this all alone, or are you using it on top of a traditional wax or sealant?

Over the years I have used Pledge on five motorcycles and the Slingshot. It was the only thing that I used on the windshields and what I used while on the road for end of day clean ups. It made cleaning off bug guts much easier than anything else I had found. It also shined up the scoot real nice.

That being said, I currently use VooDoo Magic on Nuc’em for all of my cleaning and polishing. Rairly do I use water to wash it. The VooDoo does an excellent job of cleaning light dust and bugs off of all surfaces and it leaves an outstanding shine. Tripod recommended it when I took delivery last year. It has proved to be better than F-11 to me.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

Like I said:

I just now took this picture just for you, Bigdog, four years old where everything that you see has been only cleaned and polished with lemon Pledge, or lemon Favor:

Bill

• Why? Do you even bother to respond

LOL, Just wanting to make sure that Bigdog understands that the only reason his fenders look like this:

&thumbnail=1&thumbnail=1

is because he absolutely refuses to accept advice when he asks for it. It is not the fault of Polaris, it is not the fault of the dealer, solely the fault is his, and his alone, neglect! :rolleyes:

Bill

• A somewhat related question, With all of this talking about polishing up our SlingShots, I am currently out giving the Grasshopper a good goings over, and I have been reminded of a real trouble area, at least for us, and that is the roll hoops. No matter what we have used on the hoops, they still look mottled? What are your suggestions or ideas here, besides removing and resurfacing them?

Thanks,

Bill

okay - I just sprayed a towel with a little lucas slick mist speed wax and wiped the passenger roll hoop - as you can see it leaves it looking pretty good

i-844QTN6-X2.jpg

• With all the stuff I’ve put on the roll hoops to try to get them to shine there’s been no luck....whatever they used to coat them wasn’t made to shine....the only thing you could do is scuff them up and clear coat them...

I think they are anodized and its a flat finish not supposed to shine - I have seen some here who have painted their hoops which is probably the way to go if you want shiny

i-844QTN6-X2.jpg

• one thing I think is worth saying. Lucas is a U.S. company that has been around for a very long time. They make this line of the three slick mist products that can be had for under $7 each for 24 oz spray. They are made specifically for use on vehicles and in my side by side test the speed wax shined better and shed water better than TopCoat or Hydrosilex - heck I have 3 32 ounce bottles of the Hydrosilex and even with it sitting there I still grab the lucas.

The Pledge sounds interesting and I have known people that swear by it, but I am just more comfortable using a product that is made specifically for what I am using it for

I have spent a few hundred dollars trying so called miracle products like the F11 and Hydrosilex and frankly I dont think they are as good as the $7 Lucas and at this point I am going to stick with it

winner is right here top picture on the left - the rest = money wasted

i-JnXVZVS-X2.jpg

i-H2csVXX-X2.jpg

now having said this I do have to admit there is one more product that I might give a try Meguiar's Hybrid Ceramic Wax - sounds like another F11 or Hydrosilex, but this one from a real car care company at a fairly reasonable price and it might be worth trying

G190526HybridCeramicWax_Hero_web.png

• I have used the Mequiar's Polish and then waxed with the Mequiar's paste wax and it did not look as good as it does right now with the F-11. We will see how it holes up.

I have used the Mequiar's Polish and then waxed with the Mequiar's paste wax and it did not look as good as it does right now with the F-11. We will see how it holes up.

I tried the f11 and it wasnt bad at all, it just wasnt super fantastic out of this world great, and at $59 for 16 ounces compared to $7.50 for 32 ounces of Lucas slick mist I need it to be worlds better than the lucas.

I really think TopCoat probably opened the door to these simi ceramic / wax care care products, but now they are getting competition, Hydroselix is slightly newer, but about 1/2 the price or less, and now Meguires has come out with their own Hybrid Ceramic wax thats $12 to 14 depending on where you get it

with these other newer products out there especially the Meguires which is a very well established company I think TopCoat and the others are going to have to come down drastically in price or they wont last

meguiars hybrid ceramic spray wax

At some point I will give this a try, but at twice the price it will need to beat my Lucas

• At some point I will give this a try, but at twice the price it will need to beat my Lucas

I have used all the products above and many more except for hydrosilix.

Currently my Jeep is being used to test Shine armor and GF SUV is getting Meguiar's "Ceramix Wax" They are both great and work as advertised but shine armor seems to last longer, I subscribe to unlimited carwash club so both of us stop almost daily and get a wash, Shine armor will go for about 10+ high preasure washes and the surfaces of the vehicle will remain smooth like glass but the meguiar's will lose its smoothness after the same amount, needing an immediate reapplication.

Personally just about anything is better than F-11 because while it does a good job, it doesn't do anything that products 1/10 its price would do.

Once I run out of Lucas Speed Wax Mist I will switch the sling color panels to the Shine armor as well since that is doing really great even on my jeep rims, it protects them from dirt and brake dust really well which is my current issue with the SS.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• John Price ......This is the directions for voo doo

So do you use up this on the tub?

I shake the can, spray on the surface, wipe/lightly rub, then use another cloth to gently buff out. All using a couple of microfiber clothes. And yes, I do use it on the tub and all surfaces that I want to have shiny.

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• And yes they are dirty from neglect....I haven’t cleaned it since 2010....

I was just out working on my SS and looking at the fenders. There is a reddish looking dirt/dust on them....it has been sitting covered in the driveway...I’m not sure if it’s leaf/tree particles/ dirt or dirt dirt..

I tried to wipe it off with my fingers just to see if it would come off easy.....no it doesn’t and my fingers were black greasy dirty.....

The shine on the hood plastics is starting to dull....but the cover lays on the hood so I don’t know how much affect that has made on it.....

I like how well the WOW cleaner/prep worked on removing the unremoveable dirt stains.....not so much the WOW shine application stuff.....and the greasiness it left behind and spread out from the wind.....