My angle drive blew up

• It's been over two weeks and the service department finally got back to me. Polaris will cover the part but not the labor on the new angle drive, I was told labor will come in at $300. Not to bad for being out of warrantee. Looking forward to getting those new coil overs.

Always be yourself unless you can be Batman.
    Then be Batman!

• My signature line of getting rode hard every time is not just a cute saying... I'm supercharged and consistently redline 2 and 3rd gear... mainly I like the g's and the wooosh noise it makes. I must admit I've never changed the angle drive oil (24000 miles) I'm on my third rear tire... I think there must be a few bad angle drives out there, or maybe I just have a good one.

I’m on my 3rd rear tire at 12,500 miles. No burn outs, no brake skidding and no turbo...

• Yeah, I know. With the dealers upcharge on parts this could of been a $2k fix. Turned out to be $300. I feel lucky.

Always be yourself unless you can be Batman.
    Then be Batman!

• I have to say that I actually hurt my final drive about two months ago. I did it and it was my fault. I was sliding around a corner and was spinning the back tire. The road had some really rough spots in it. When the back tire hit those spots it tried to grab and I could hear it biting into the asphalt. It didn't break like you have seen other do. It continued to work just fine. However it had a very pronounced knock inside it. I am sure I can pop it apart and replace whatever I hurt.

What I'm saying is that the final drive is not to blame in my situation. I knew from the second that I saw the bad spots in the road that shit was going to get ugly. I do treat mine extremely rough but I dont throw power to it all at once. I am sure if I had a trans brake I could explode anything.

These final drives that are exploding probably have a casting issue. That is just a guess. Maybe they are just porus and they snap.

As for my old final drive. I will eventually pop it apart and post pictures of what happpend inside. I drove it probably another 500 miles with it making the knocking noise. I finally got Bob at Bullet Performance to send me one off of a conversion he did.

• Took me about 2 months for a new angle drive to arrive. Right in the middle of prime riding season. I was pissed. A certain dealer (cough, cough) suggested Polaris would pull one off the assembly line... Sure....

Sounded like gravel in the drive train. Scary sounds.

I was trying to baby it. Cameron Roberts advised me to beat the snot out of it. Beat it like a red-headed step child. Flog it until it begs for mercy, then flog it some more. This I did in spades, and never had to walk home.

Not sure if my words advance the cause of this thread, but I had to let it out. Sorry. Currently dealing with the dreaded brake failure light again, again, again, again, again.

• Hahaha I remember that. How many times have they replaced your brake pressure switch?

• Not sure if my words advance the cause of this thread, but I had to let it out. Sorry. Currently dealing with the dreaded brake failure light again, again, again, again, again.

Just curious...

Any chance, other than the normal heat sources, that you might have brake lines running in close proximity to a high heat source?

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• Did you ever find anything interesting via the drain plug on on the angle drive, or was the gravel sound just something that wasn't really gravel, just noise of the gears?

It sounded liked catastrophic drive-train failure. Which, it was. I own a 2015. I know sling noises. That was a baaaaad one.

• I have a 2016...but it was replaced under that "casting" recall about 7500 miles ago.

I have a 2016 and I am wondering if this is an inherent failure within this year or if you guys are just driving the snot out of ‘em. I have not seen nor gotten any recall notices from Polaris on this.

casting" recall ????

Ever since I put the redline in the final drive mine is quiet and happy ! Thank you Goats_Hogs 🙂

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• I have a 2016 and I am wondering if this is an inherent failure within this year or if you guys are just driving the snot out of ‘em. I have not seen nor gotten any recall notices from Polaris on this.

Mine was just one of the odd ones that were trash right out of the box. Once it was replaced it was good to go. No issues at all.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...