My angle drive blew up

• The pictures that I have seen so far concerning failure of the angle drive have primarily shown input bearing failure, and each of those seem to show that the bearing and other internal components suffered from being exposed to very high heat, which leads me to question lubrication, (lack of?) issues?

Though we seem not to have had as noisy an angle drive as some, I have changed our angle drive fluid twice, first at 8,000 miles replacing the fluid with Royal Purple, (the stock fluid I drained looked good in color and no metal.) Not recognizing any difference I changed the fluid again at 11,000 miles replacing it with Lucas gear lube, (fluid looked fine and again no metal), and again no apparent difference in sound. However, currently at over 20,000 miles when out cruising around recently I have noticed that I do not notice the angle drive whine as much where it has quieted down even more, but I attribute that to miles rather than any change in fluids.

Bill

• Replacing all the stock parts before you take it in is a good idea... I've been whacked with that stick before. Basically, most companies are willing to blame any failure on any mod just to get out of a warranty claim. My brother worked as a Ford mechanic for 48 years - he's told me some outrageous stories.

"Look, you have custom seats... no warranty."

"But the differential broke!"

"Yep, too bad you modified your truck."

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• How about they don’t disintegrate from driving normally.....

Sounds like some “abuse” could have taken place...

It could come from any number of things.....burnouts.....over sized wheels and tires...could be Chinese castings...

So where are they made....

• Seems to me that there are enough people here pumping very large amounts of power through their angle drives to some rather large rear tires to show that unless its a defective angle drive the dang things can take a great deal of abuse. As such it certainly isn't something the average slingshot owner probably has to worry about

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Seems to me that there are enough people here pumping very large amounts of power through their angle drives to some rather large rear tires to show that unless its a defective angle drive the dang things can take a great deal of abuse. As such it certainly isn't something the average slingshot owner probably has to worry about

Well said Edward Neal , we can all agree that rabtech has proven that both the angle drive and the belt can take a pounding like nobody's business and keep on going.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• It makes me leery to hear of someone destroying 2 angle drives.....could they both have had manufacturing defects.....possible....by highly unlikely.....which leads to possible abuse....

Turbo over powering the stock parts

Oversized wheel causing increased stress

Excessive accelerations and braking

I admit we all “get on it” from time to time....moderation.....I’m going to be more mindful of driving like a nut for no reason...to reduce my own level of equipment abuse.

Is there anyone manufacturing heavy duty angle drive cases and gearing.

• I can sympathize with the OP's bad luck, but how many SlingShots are there on the road now? How many SlingShots have experienced angle drive failure? If anybody comes across a definitive answer or solution please drop in here and share it with the rest of us?

Otherwise................

It's a gorgeous evening and we're going riding, who wants to join us?

Bill

• I'm guesstimating here, but assuming Polaris has sold at least 15,000 Slingshots and allowing for 100 angle drive failures (I've only heard about a much smaller number) means less than .7% of Slingshots sold have had angle drive failures. Of course, this very low percentage will seem MUCH higher if you've been the unfortunate victim of a failure.

• My signature line of getting rode hard every time is not just a cute saying... I'm supercharged and consistently redline 2 and 3rd gear... mainly I like the g's and the wooosh noise it makes. I must admit I've never changed the angle drive oil (24000 miles) I'm on my third rear tire... I think there must be a few bad angle drives out there, or maybe I just have a good one.

Alpha Supercharger is still spinning fine... it gets rode hard, every time.

• Many of us have had issues with different parts having manufacturers defects....given the thousands of parts made everyday some defective pieces could have missed (slipped through) the inspection process....plus things do wear out.

It appears the angle drive issue is limited and doesn’t appear to be on a future recall list...

Keeping my fingers crossed...

• Although there isn't enough data to accurately say anything conclusive but so far all the angle drives that have failed haven't had the fluids changed early so maybe do that if you are concerned but again I can only recall about 5 angle drives that have failed so again just not enough to know one way or the other.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I'm guesstimating here, but assuming Polaris has sold at least 15,000 Slingshots and allowing for 100 angle drive failures (I've only heard about a much smaller number) means less than .7% of Slingshots sold have had angle drive failures. Of course, this very low percentage will seem MUCH higher if you've been the unfortunate victim of a failure.

Actually the numbers are a lot better than that. My SS is a very early 17 and it’s number 22954. The production number is well over 30,000 now.

• [quote='Funinthesun','https://slingshotinfo.com/index.php?thread/7565-my-angle-drive-blew-up/&postID=264131#post264131']

I don';t know but there aren't too many people beating the hell out of their slingshot than our own RABTEC. He has the most power and abuse and unless I missed something, is still on his original 2015 angle drive

[/quote]

Some of us just don’t brag as much, but I’m still running original angle drive with a few extra ponies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk